Torquay v Boreham Wood - Sat 20/08/21

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Nick Potkins wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 09:19 Dorking have had three months to prepare for NL football, we have had four years (plus), and sadly our squad still lacks. Year on year we get beaten by giants and part time teams (Havant & Waterlooville, Tonbridge Angels to name two). Something is not working.
Big teams last year - Notts County, Wrexham, Chesterfield, Stockport - these were the sides expected to be competing at the top end of the table when the season started.

Played 8
Won 4
Draw 3
Lost 1 (1-0, away from home, after our playoff hopes were over)

The team has been terribly inconsistent for quite some time, but at least get things factually correct. We lost twice to Halifax last season, but nobody would ever be calling them a "giant" if the division. If you look at the season before it was our results against the 'poorer' teams that cost us, not those against the so-called bigger clubs in the division.

There's an argument to made there of course - why does the team seem to be so complacent against sides we should really be beating easily - but to say 'year on year we get beaten by giants and part-time teams' is disingenuous.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Didn't he mean' "giants' as in players of above average size. If he did I can see his point. These teams filled with monsters do seem very successful from what I have seen at plainmoor over the last few years.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

appreciate highlights dont tell the full story but we created more than enough chances to win that game, their keeper makes a couple of great saves

Also a clear penalty, ref has a good view, really poor decision

Goodwin needs a goal, got to get the confidence up
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

GULL 67 wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 16:13 Didn't he mean' "giants' as in players of above average size. If he did I can see his point. These teams filled with monsters do seem very successful from what I have seen at plainmoor over the last few years.
That was exactly my point.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Freeze the picture when that dirty Carthorse Evans makes a complete hash of attempting a shot and the no 9 and the goal scorer both look 1-2 yards offside.
The no 9 is directly in Halsteads line of vision
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

desperado wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 19:55 Freeze the picture when that dirty Carthorse Evans makes a complete hash of attempting a shot and the no 9 and the goal scorer both look 1-2 yards offside.
The no 9 is directly in Halsteads line of vision
:-D agree 100% re: goalscorer.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Don't agree about the goalscorer - I think Omar played him onside although it is difficult to be absolutely sure either way given the angle. But the pen shout was a sure fire penalty. Indeed given the position of the offence it should also have been a red card.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Hard to see if his head’s offside but it does look as though Omar plays him onside
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I don't confess to completely understand the current offside rule even though I've just read Law 11 but the number 9 is definitely in an offside position when Evans takes that 'shot' . Is he not interfering with play as he is standing offside between Evans and Halstead interfering with Halsteads view of the 'shot'. Or is he not 'active' because he hasn't touched the ball ? If he was wider and not in the direct line of the goal I could understand it not being given. If that shot by Evans had gone in the net would the goal have been given ?
If that's the rule now so be it but it's a bloody stupid one ! The old rule was so much easier to understand.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Like most things in football, it s open to interpretation by the officials, not so bad when you have top class refs with VAR to bail them out. The FA are doing a great dissevice to the game by refusing to engage with anyone other than their own officials and then in secret, some poor decision maiing can cost your club literally millions, there is no come back, no compensation, no holding their hands up and saying the ref got it totally wrong.