Torquay v Boreham Wood - Sat 20/08/21

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

I’m really struggling of things to be positive about. Yes we had some good chances in the second half but how can anyone say we were the better team. Halstead made plenty of saves again and they created more chances then us. It could have been over by half time.

4 games in and we’ve been 2nd best in every game. 1 goal scored and seriously lacking creativity. None of our new signings have really impressed so far. The only positives for me have been Halstead who has had far too much to do and the fact our poor start is not due to a lack of effort from the players.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Afraid it was men against boys. Glad that game is out the way , horrible team to watch and play against but as we always say score first and you won't have a problem with the time wasting.
One booking and that in the 82nd minute
Time this nonsense with allowing the keeper to take the ball to the opposite side of the six yard box for a goal kick was stopped, then he taps down the ground with his foot for another 10 seconds , it's all blatant time wasting and so it went on with all their throw ins.
We gave it a good go second half , but you knew it was one of those frustrating games where we just were not going to score.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Well I cannot see many goals for us this season why you may ask ? Well when are strikers are warming up before the game with the second keeper in the net just watch how many shots go in (Not many if any go in) this was the same before the Oldham game and the same yesterday, shots going wide or over the cross bar or straight to the keepers reach or a good height for the keeper to save, when you have a true goal scorer that ball is in the back of the net all of the time just like in the past Jamie Reid did it and others. I think are players are to fixed on the keeper in the net rather than the big net around him. And as frustration grows the more bigger the keeper gets.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I have been to three of the four games, making a 400 mile round trip to Plainmoor. Sadly we have been second best and beaten to the ball by quicker, stronger and taller players. I will be there again on Saturday, but that does not stop me having a view.

Dorking have had three months to prepare for NL football, we have had four years (plus), and sadly our squad still lacks. Year on year we get beaten by giants and part time teams (Havant & Waterlooville, Tonbridge Angels to name two). Something is not working.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its sad isnt it that teams like Boreham Wood, Bromley etc are now considered better than us, and beat us more often than not.

Torquay were slight favourites for the game on Friday night, but the odds had drifted out by kick off and Boreham Wood were firm favourites before the game. Bearing in mind they were a team that had lost at home to Aldershot four days before and this tells its own story - people betting on the game were obviously considering factors like our inability to score, our inability to dominate possession wise again.

Clearly people expected Boreham Wood to win, which was hardly surprising as we are so completely inept. Its all very well complaining about Boreham Wood time wasting, they are a bloody horrible team, but if gift them a goal in the 3rd minute and they are up against a team who are never going to score as long as their arse points downwards, then what do you expect is going to happen?

It now seems that Dorking Wanderers are the latest team to have left us behind. How sad is that?
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

brucie it is all about money and recruitment.

If Gary with all his experience cannot sign better players it is because of the budget. Do you agree or not?

I heard Armani Little is on £4,000 a week at FGR way more than TUFC can afford. We have to be realistic.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Hasnt Johnson said before that he doesnt know what the budget is. If Little is on 4k a week thats a massive waste of money I'd say.

I'm a realist - I dont expect us to be anywhere near getting promotion. We obviously cannot compete with the likes of Wrexham etc that much is obvious.

However you cant tell me that Dorking have a bigger budget than us - but they seem to be doing pretty well. They dont seem to have any academy players though.

Surely at the very least we should be able to manage scoring more than one goal in four games?

We do seem to have a some pretty big players in our team. With the returning Marshall, and the like of Omar, Goodwin and a few others there are some pretty big units there.

Perhaps Johnson and Downes should start concentrating on set pieces for the Maidstone game. Get the ball in the six yard box and cause some havoc. It doesnt have to be pretty, just effective. We need to start putting the ball in the net.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by CourtierGull »

brucie wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 22:56 Courtier Gull - Crowe looked twice as good as Wynter - wow, forgive me if I dont take what you say seriously. i'll reproduce messages across 3 forums which have been universally critical of Crowes performances so far. "Doesn't know which way is up" "no pace", "not up to it" the radio devon commentators were also saying the same thing at Bromley.

So the consensus is that he's a weak link I guess - thats not me thats what everyone else is saying.
I know it gets hard at your age to read and comprehend most things but if you slowed down for a minute you’d see I was comparing crowes start with us too Wynters START with us, and there isn’t even a comparison. We were the league below and up until Christmas wynter couldn’t pass couldn’t attack couldn’t defend, now we have Crowe playing on the wing all by himself and yes he looks physically weak but he does make plenty of challenges, he’s playing 2v1 most of the time, if anyone in the defence as a whole has been a disappointment, especially yesterday then it’s Ali Omar who was getting bullied all day. With Crowe there’s clearly a bloody good footballer there, one that will go further than Wynter will go in the football pyramid.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Well Brucie if you actually went to the game and saw that weak out of his depth ref then maybe just maybe ........you would agree with the people who were actually THERE !! He was scared to book any of there players until the 87th minute when they had been using the tactic of pushing pulling and other forms of wrestling with the keeper taking a minute or two for every goal kick from the first to last minute. He also ignored a blatant penalty and possible red card offence.

He could easily have booked somebody far earlier which would have forced them to adopt different tactics.

UNLIKE SOME people pay a lot of money to watch football and don't want to see WWE American wrestling Borehamwood style !!

There are obvious shortcomings in the team and improvements are needed and quickly. Its a work in progress hopefully over the next 42 games we can get out of the relegation battle we are in.

I agree it is depressing to see other clubs overtaking us but that the cycle of football. Look how Stockport and York fell in to and were a part of the National league North for years until both have finally got out of it.

I too have watched many games and according to the Futbology app ( Very Highly Recommended !! ) I have now watched 1285 games over the last 50 odd years !!

So I have seen a lot of crap over that time !!

BUT to rant and moan about every fecking thing and everybody when you have not seen a SINGLE minute of any game it strikes me that it is YOU that needs to see your matron and up your meds.

Maybe if you look across the three forums you will see positive posts as well but that does not fit your agenda does it TERRYL or Ranting Deluded Brucie whatever you want to call yourself !

You have been posting negative moaning shite since the internet began and obviously you will never change but at least make your comments after seeing some of the actual game ! If you cant get to or be bothered to actually go to a game then at least wait for the YouTube highlights to be available so as to make a nearly valid rant !!

As for my meds I already take enough thank you for my diabetes, arthritis and high blood pressure raised when I see your usual negative claptrap !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think you are actually losing it because your rantings seem to get worse with every post.

I'm sure that the referee was terrible, in the main they normally are. Lets be honest we would have returned to the football league bar a truly scandalous officiating performance in the play off final.

But thats the nature of the beast. Maybe its time our team manned up and started cheating like most of our opponents. I note that Taunton Town are now in the National League South and had an excellent win beating Dartford yesterday. Lets hope we dont draw them in the Fa Cup.

You berate me for being negative but you think we are in a relegation battle after only 4 games?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

I was taking the piss Brucie / TerryL hence the LOLs !! DURR
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

On the lack of goals I actually think we have a much better strike force than last season with Goodwin, Andrews and Jarvis (although we haven’t seen him yet). If we can get all 3 fit they can do a job in this league. Last season we basically had Danny and he scored 5!

The big issue seems to be midfield which is where we lost quality and goals. We are getting overrun and are crying out for some decent quick wingers. The current formation with these players just isn’t working.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Comparisons between other teams is pointless and deflects from reality, you can only compare like for like, Wrexham could not buy promotion last season even with a budget double or triple ours, Dorking, have an owner with money, who is also the manager and chief bottle washer, another billericay in the making and that ended well and still my bet to go down.
We on the other hand lost four of our experienced and biggest earners close season and replaced them with in the main untried under 23's who come far cheaper, if Lapslie gets injured or Hall cannot improve on his 45 in any given week or Moxey who we will be grateful to get 25 games out of in any given season then we become a total development squad . Is this league for such a concept, I personally do not believe so.
Devonian
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Devonian »

Have Faith Peoples I am sure we can turn this around. My only concern is the amount of long term Injuries we seem to have and not knowing how long players will be out for. it would be nice to know maybe how long before we can expect players to return.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

brucie wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 13:37 Hasnt Johnson said before that he doesnt know what the budget is.
Of course Johnson knows what the budget is, if he didn't he wouldn't be able to assemble a squad.
Say he doesn't know what the budget is and overspends, then George Edwards would have to go to him and tell him to sack some of the players he signed. Or say Johnson massively underspends, then after a disappointing season. George Edwards might say to him "didn't you know there was £5 million left in the kitty".
Johnson knows what the budget is, but he is savvy enough not to tell anyone what it is lest players' agents get to know what they can screw out of us.