FC Halifax Town v Torquay United Sat 13 August KO3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

*Post Removed*

SG
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Listening to the various comments, well those that remember that the thread was the Halifax game and not the finer points of english punctuation it seems that the only ones that matter are those who were at the game, our local radio commentators seemed to think without possibly ever having the guts to criticize us was that we were battered, the local papers suggest we have a resilient and tough back four, then say it took a miraclous performance from the keeper to keep it below a cricket score, I am sure they did their reports from the services on the M6 listening to the radio. Halifax manager says he has never been involved in such a one sided game and quotes stats of 23 shots to 3 during the game and 10 corners to our 0.
But we came away with the theft of three points. So if we can play that badly and come away with the points perhaps luck will be on side this season.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

The flyover has obviously decreased traffic to the penn inn roundabout

:lol:
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I agree totally with desperado. I was only saying the same to a pal this morning.

If we can be close to the top 7 come end of September, then with the team gelling, and players returning from injury, we'll then should push on!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Didn't rush to comment on this game wasn't there, didn't get a much of a chance to follow the game either . A real positive to hear the team stood up against a Halifax onslaught , don't think last seasons team would have stood up to that kind of pressure at all, it bodes well to hear a new team that maybe hasn't fully gelled yet can bring home the points in this manner, especially with a few key players missing.

Hopefully it suggests when this team is fit and gelled, they could be capable of challenging in the top 7 once they start playing well. On a personal note was delighted to hear of a fantastic performance from Halstead as one of the very few that called the ridiculous, pathetic and embarrassing comments, flung at Halstead, by those in the main that hadn't been to the Plymouth P.S.F.

Firstly credit to Gary Johnson for sticking with this keeper, credit to Halstead himself, Mark Halstead was never short of the required ability to shine at this level, just confidence , hopefully he'll grow from hear, and the fans will keep supporting him.
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Just watched the highlights and I can see why Halifax are so frustrated because they attacked continuously with no reward.

Halstead is a man mountain and he has a big presence now he has regained his confidence so crucial for a goalkeeper at any level.

This season we have bigger men physically and in my book this is crucial in the National League.How often last season did the opposition line up with 7 or 8 6 footers plus in their team.

This season is different as Gary has recruited the type of player you need in in the NL but I still count Lapslie as a standout player because at 5- 5" he buzzes around the pitch like a demented wasp stinging the opposition at every turn.

If Corie Andrews is back tomorrow I feel we have a chance at Bromley because Will needs some help up front.COYY
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

I was one of the 135 to witness a very welcome 3 points. We where already under strength regarding 1st team selection prior to the game, coupled with ridiculous heat the team chosen needs a Hugh amount of praise, let’s face it a further few in the squad weren’t match fit for a full game. Halstead was impeccable, and I can only applaud his comeback and fair play to him.
How many times have teams beaten us at plainmoor in recent seasons with there only shot on target, well this was our time. Yes it could have been 5-1 Halifax. But it wasn’t. We will improve for sure. The players reaction at the end just makes me realise we have a United group of players that will improve quickly
Lucy