FC Halifax Town v Torquay United Sat 13 August KO3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

Fantastic result. Great commitment from players and an outstanding performance from Halstead.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Listening to the radio is by no means the same as being there but how they never scored is beyond me other than a man of the match performance from Halstead, certainly first half we seemed to be just lobbing hopeful balls up to goodwin who didnt get any change out of the defenders, midfield needs a lot of work which considering we have nine or ten of them is not something I thought I would be saying, they seemed to advance at will most of the game.if Johnson says anything other than we rode our luck big time I will be surprised.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Fair play to Halstead seems like he produced stunning performance.

I've got to agree though 4 points and I think we've been fortunate. I Listened to the whole game and we didnt create anything bar the goal from a long throw.

Having said that a terrific rearguard by the sounds of it - the ongoing injury situation is just ludicrous though.

I listened last week but missed the first ten minutes when I know we hit the bar, but it was the same thing, we didn't create anything so there is plenty that needs addressing.
Last edited by brucie on 13 Aug 2022, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

thebigp1 wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 17:02 Fantastic 3 points but by all accounts we were battered all game. Obviously 4 points from the first 2 games is decent enough but our performances are going to have to improve.
Well, yes, but it's better to concede zero goals and have 4 points from so-so games than do what we did last year and lose the first two home games 7-1 [, aggregate.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

There’s no such thing as luck. Nothing happens without a cause. The weather today “didn’t just happen,” it’s a result of specific causes.
Likewise, the difference between Torquay being successful or unsuccessful will not come from luck, but the choices 'Magic Johnson' and the players make.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes thats true, but being realistic we could have lost both games. We're not going to win too many games penned in our own penalty area all the game.

I appreciate there are positives though - Halstead is defying all expectations, and we are proving hard to beat.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 17:39 Yes thats true, but being realistic we could have lost both games.
Just as equally as it could have rained on both match days, but it did not. We just have to accept our unbeaten displays under bright sunshine are glorious. Ten games in will give us a more realistic picture of how our season might pan out.
The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

I wasn't at the match yesterday, but reading all the reports and listening to the commentary, and the comments of the Halifax manager, it was obvious that we were outplayed ie. pinned in our own half for most of the match. The only reasons we didn't lose 4-0 was because of Halifax's woeful finishing and an outstanding display by Halstead - he was obviously man of the match as far as Torquay was concerned.
Against Oldham, again it was only their poor finishing and Halstead's form which prevented a defeat. I fear against a team who can finish, we are in for a sound beating at the moment. We are giving the opposition too much opportunity to create chances in front of goal. Perhaps, like last season, this team will require some time to 'bed in' before they are able to understand each other's play, and what GJ wants from them. Too much team swapping around, for any 'bedding in' to occur. Clearly, we are not going to crush all before us, and head the table. We are all going to have to be patient in the meantime.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

You can't possibly expect to chuck 8 or 9
new players in and expect them to click and produce goals and wins and flowing attacking football from day one. We have lost quality in Little and CLE
Ok Halifax had a turnover of players too but not as much as us , they still had 6 of last year's team yesterday.
If we can hang in there and battle our way to a few wins and points and be around 16 points from the first 10 games I think that will be a good start as the team starts to gel.
The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

Exactly Desperado, but the fans expect us to be top of the league from Day One. Not realistic in the circumstances
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

Exactly Desperado, but the fans expect us to be top of the league from Day One. Not realistic in the circumstances

It's only goal difference that is keeping us off the top at the moment. Not exactly a bad start to proceedings.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 16:09We have lost quality in Little and CLE...
Give it a rest; would those two show ponies have given their all, thrown their bodies on the line and defended our goal as if their mum was in it (to paraphrase the manager)? Not at all; never once have we produced a result like that with those two in the side.

Last season we conceded a goal up there becasue the also over-rated Lewis declined to put himself between ball and goalscorer. Now instead; we have Marshall; a brick shit house instead of a weak youth. Men instead of boys!

It wasn't inherent ability that got that result; it was inner fortitude and guts ~ give me that over what those two self indulgent Doris's you mention brought to the table any day and give me this incarnation of a Gary Johnson side than the previous one all season long!
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

“First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.” - Kurt Vonnegut
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 19:39 “First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.” - Kurt Vonnegut
The guy uses several every post for some reason. They are quite off-putting and cringeworthy; particularly given he rarely uses them correctly
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Look at me I use bold and italics.