Transfer News & Signings

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Admiral wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 09:44 They may be young players, but full of potential.

Evans - Clearly highly rated at Cardiff. 5 apps early last season in the Championship (2 starts). Looks creative, surprised Cardiff let him go to the National League.
Hanson - Captain at Dover at 21. Fee paid?
Crowe - Bags of potential here. Subject to a 300k bid from Huddersfield a few years ago. Capped up to England u19, interest from Man United and Leipzig at 18. A full season at this level could see him develop and fulfil his potential.
Jarvis - Relegated from League Two with Scunthorpe, but stats aren’t everything. One to watch.
McGavin - Highly rated at Ipswich along with Crowe. A full season under his belt at Kings Lynn will have done his development good.

These 5 signings may be youngsters, but they appear to be educated signings by GJ. One or two may not fulfil their potential but we could have some good prospects on our hands. Expect to see us playing free-flowing, fast football next season. Onwards
:goodpost:
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Well those signings certainly divided opinion, from the glass is always full lets wait and see brigade who If I remember coreectly were the same posters that came on the forum last summer and suggested we give our new signings a chance, remind me, how did that work out for us, and those who do not wish to see Torquay as a devlopment squad for championship under 23 players who in the main leave for things better but without Torquay ever seeing a bean in transfer cash, how exactly does that benefit the shallow coffers of Torquay considering the work and effort involved in getting them to that standard where they disappear off to division one clubs. Chris, triallists, are exactly that, players that we havent even considered, primarily if we ever did scout them they were quickly forgotten and with no one knocking on their door begging for thier services they now have to tout themselves around the country in practice matches.
I am sure the lads with championship credential will do alright with us and seem to fill the criteria of intelligent footballers that Johnson requires, As for Jarvis, I have seen his highlight reel and seems very good at holding up the ball , but 93 appearances in three seasons at various levels with a goal return of 11 for a centre forward is less than impressive.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

culmstockgull wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 10:58 Well those signings certainly divided opinion, from the glass is always full lets wait and see brigade who If I remember coreectly were the same posters that came on the forum last summer and suggested we give our new signings a chance, remind me, how did that work out for us, and those who do not wish to see Torquay as a devlopment squad for championship under 23 players who in the main leave for things better but without Torquay ever seeing a bean in transfer cash, how exactly does that benefit the shallow coffers of Torquay considering the work and effort involved in getting them to that standard where they disappear off to division one clubs. Chris, triallists, are exactly that, players that we havent even considered, primarily if we ever did scout them they were quickly forgotten and with no one knocking on their door begging for thier services they now have to tout themselves around the country in practice matches.
I am sure the lads with championship credential will do alright with us and seem to fill the criteria of intelligent footballers that Johnson requires, As for Jarvis, I have seen his highlight reel and seems very good at holding up the ball , but 93 appearances in three seasons at various levels with a goal return of 11 for a centre forward is less than impressive.
Nothing to do with half full.
Now, this is now this season, not last season so I'm sure most would agree to give them a chance to be seen playing first before making any comments.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Moaning about players you haven’t seen yet is to be expected from the minority of fans, the usual suspects. These seem to be a decent crop of young signings to me, I’m sure there will be another loanee or two to come in.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its impossible to say how they will do. There isnt much experience there though.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Too many moaners.
Look at the attendances and wake up to the fact that we are far from being a big club in this league.

We no doubt have a limited budget and have to budget accordingly.

Thankfully we have a quality manager who knows way more than any of us do, and if he's happy with his transfer business then so am i.

I find it exciting times. A largely unknown squad, but young and hungry and with potential. Yes, my fave player CLE has gone, but these kids will step up and Gary will sprinkle in some experience when needed.

So, how about we give them a chance?
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

:goodpost:
toastkid wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 09:14 Too many moaners.
Look at the attendances and wake up to the fact that we are far from being a big club in this league.

Thankfully we have a quality manager who knows way more than any of us do, and if he's happy with his transfer business then so am i.

I find it exciting times. A largely unknown squad, but young and hungry and with potential. Yes, my fave player CLE has gone, but these kids will step up and Gary will sprinkle in some experience when needed.

grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

toastkid wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 09:14 Too many moaners.

Do not forget, TUFC don't even own their own ground. Assets are minimal, to say the least. I sometimes wonder how we are still playing at the level we are, all things considered.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Thank God that TUFC don't own the ground. I guess CO would have demolished it a long time ago...
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

grockle wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 17:09 I sometimes wonder how we are still playing at the level we are, all things considered.
Only because we have an owner who is prepared to cover loses of £2k a day.
Likewise in the days of the Bristow's and Mike Bateson, we only survive because someone is willing to underwrite the whole operation. What happens when Osborne decides to call it a day is anyone's guess.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 21:14 Only because we have an owner who is prepared to cover loses of £2k a day.
Likewise in the days of the Bristow's and Mike Bateson, we only survive because someone is willing to underwrite the whole operation. What happens when Osborne decides to call it a day is anyone's guess.
To be fair aren’t most clubs run like this. I read somewhere recently that 14 of the 24 current league 2 cubs are technically insolvent. Very few clubs will run at a profit.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We simply don't know how good these players are.

Suggesting that a forward who got released from a team who were tailed off at the bottom of league 2, and hardly scores any goals is "one to watch" is just as ridiculous as saying he's rubbish before he's even kicked a ball for us.

They are all vastly inexperienced, add that to our main centre half who couldn't be trusted for most of the season and our main keeper seems to be a bloke who was useless last year. That might be moaning but it doesn't look a promotion challenging outfit to me.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Have to agree although the signings are far from finished the lack of experience is
worrying. Only Moxey, and Hall who is unlikely to be a regular starter have masses of games under their belt.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

The question is, will the new intake ad as pt to and thrive in this league. Compared to the 2021/22 group I suspect they might! Yes the squad will need augmenting ? centre half, another forward and a goal keeper, so we shall see who else arrives but at least there is a core of a team now.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Wolborough wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 08:26 The question is, will the new intake ad as pt to and thrive in this league. Compared to the 2021/22 group I suspect they might! Yes the squad will need augmenting ? centre half, another forward and a goal keeper, so we shall see who else arrives but at least there is a core of a team now.
Wouldn’t surprise me if the CB was on loan, preferably experinced. I wonder if GJ is looking towards Omar as a starter?