Retained list out!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

UnitedinDevon, My intention is not to be negative, but realsitic, this has been my club for over 50 years, but obviously like many others I have concerns and reservations about the direction the club is going in.
Johnson does not wish to announce his new arrivals because they are not household names, the interpretation of those two words will undoubtedly change in the same way as marque players did. What does that suggest to you,to me, it indicates that he is already down playing and managing our expectations, the why defies logic considering how much budget he has available with only three players under contract.
Last season we went for midgets when everyone else went for giants, we went for youth with alleged potential when everyone else went for seasoned pros, how did that work out for us, can anyone argue that it was in anyway successful ,even Johnson in his own guarded way accepted this truth at the tail end of the season.
I know many people still maintain that the only reason for our poor/weak/lacking in talent acquisitions last term was due to a single event, making the playoffs. That has never worked for me, we are a supposed professional club ,was there no contigency planning in place in the event we did not get promoted. Even now with a full close season we are relying on scraps that there is a handful of potential acquisitions when the reality is we need double that and more just to stand still.
Johnson talks regularly and makes great store about our community club ,the wonderful supporters and the difference we make but that loyalty must be reciprocal, at the moment we have to have all the faith and we will be informed as and when he thinks fit.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

I am suspicious when clubs, for whatever reason, fail to announce new signings.

As other contributors have commented it creates doubt among supporters that any of the new recruits will be 'marquee' players.

I hope to be proved wrong, but last season's transfer activity hardly inspires confidence.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 19:16 I am suspicious when clubs, for whatever reason, fail to announce new signings.

As other contributors have commented it creates doubt among supporters that any of the new recruits will be 'marquee' players.

I hope to be proved wrong, but last season's transfer activity hardly inspires confidence.
I don't read much into Gary Johnson not naming any new signings thus far. The fans at BBC united are moaning that the have not made a single signing despite having over 150 million quid to spend. I'm sure they will be in the top 6 come the end of the season.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I'm neither a happy clapper, or someone who likes to be doom mongering darksider, just pride myself on being as honest with my opinions as I can be, I'll critize and also praise when I think it's due.

I think we have got to read what Gary Johnson has said in the right context, GJ is talking about wanting us to see these players, play, before we judge judge them as not household names, but the point has to be made, Wrexham shelled out a fortune on household names from League 1+2 didn't lead them to promotion did it ? Household names don't always guarantee you jack all.

The problem last season was, TUFC signed a group young players that consisted of far too many players who'd come straight out of U23 football, the gap between U23 and senior professional football is as, wide as the Grand Canyon.

Now, I don't know who we've signed, it may well the same as last season but, Just going on a couple of names linked; Kieron Evans seems to be a strong link whilst not confirmed seems likely, here we have 20 year old midfielder who has 5 Championship first team games under his belt, and scored twice against Newport in a behind closed doors friendly, should his signing be confirmed many levels above O'Connell etc.

Now another name suggested to me, must understand this is a cold rumour; Brett Mcgavin 21 year Ipswich midfielder who played 34 games on loan in the national league last season for Kings Lynn, scoring three times including a worldie against us in the away fixture, again, if this rumour should turn out to be true, can hardly compare him to someone straight out of u23 football, with 10 games shy of a full season at this level under his belt.

Now if these are the type of youngsters we're looking at, things will not be so bad, especially if the club are going down the road I hope, which is to, sign up a smaller squad and pad out hopefully with the quality through the loan market, of course I may be way off the mark with this, just saying don't go into blind panic just yet.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

We’re talking about a fella who got took Yeovil to 3 promotions in 5 years, who got Cheltenham straight back up, who brought us back from 17th in the 6th tier to Ashton Gate. Write last season off, if you don’t trust GJ you don’t understand football.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Absolutely Admiral. Staggering the negativity on here, it really is!
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

I don’t think it is negativity so much as objective concern, which is hardly surprising given the vacuum which is asking to be filled.

Obviously GJ has a good record, but he also has had some off spells, including at Northampton and (not dissimilar to his record at Torquay) at Bristol City when he has two great seasons earning a promotion then a play off final loss followed by a disappointing couple of seasons before leaving the club.

I am not for a moment criticising the man and I obviously hope (and actually do believe) that he has what we need. But by the same token, given some of last season’s signings and performances, he is not beyond being analysed.

Let’s wait and see what happens.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

I must be one of the few that thought that GJ did a good job last season. Off the back of the play off final he had fairly limited time. He brought in a number of players. You never know who's going to be successful or unsuccessful but you do need a squad to start the season. He fairly quickly saw the changes that needed to be made and within the season put together a side that didn't fall too far short of the play offs which would have been an incredible result. The signings that he makes will prob be 50/50 but that's probably like any decent manager at any level. There's no guarantees of success. Equally he does this against a background in which the finances are challenged in a league in which there are teams with varying levels of backing. We've prob got no right to be anything more than challenging near the play offs in a league of ex league teams, aspiring non league teams seeking league football and the odd small non league team in the historic sense. I don't think that there's another manager who could do better.
linesman5
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by linesman5 »

I agree with all the followers who say wait and see.As with previous Torquay managers no one appears to remember that attracting players to the South West has always been difficult.I would also add that calling Gary Johnson (Johnson) is an insult if you can use GJ is the least he deserves to a man with a proven track record.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Probably getting muddled up with the hapless PM
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

linesman5 wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 11:34 I would also add that calling Gary Johnson (Johnson) is an insult.
I don't see why. Personally I think it is insulting to refer to him as Gary when the poster is not personally acquainted with him, it creates a false sense of familiarity.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

I'm not sure how we reference him makes the blindest bit of difference..... We could always go all American about the thing and give him the moniker, Coach Johnson. He's a man, with a name, and if you're one of his staff/players, I get the need to be called Gaffer or whatever.

But as fans, let us use whatever terms we want.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 12:53 I don't see why. Personally I think it is insulting to refer to him as Gary when the poster is not personally acquainted with him, it creates a false sense of familiarity.
Nonsense! His name is Gary, Johnson is his family name so why would using his given name be insulting?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 12:03 Nonsense! His name is Gary, Johnson is his family name so why would using his given name be insulting?
Thats just dangerous talk, Gull
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Whatever we call him let's all get behind Steve for the coming season