Retained list out!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

This is obviously Torquays business plan not to pay wages in June hoping against hope their first picks do not get snapped up by other more proactive and serious minded teams. I can imagine that Johnson has a number 2 choice for each position he thinks needs covered working on the principle that he will lose a few by leaving it so late, Judging by other clubs we are only of two clubs in the league that have this dubious strategy , I personally think its a mistake but on the other hand I do not run a football club, we are undoubtedly heading for another mass signing afternoon as if last years was not cringeworthy enough, and those signings didnt exactly fill us with confidence rightly so as it turned out.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

There was strong speculation a while back that we’re due to sign Kinsella from Aldershot. He’s since recently announced he’s leaving Aldershot so I wouldn’t be surprised if he was playing for us next season.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

culmstockgull wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 21:04 This is obviously Torquays business plan not to pay wages in June hoping against hope their first picks do not get snapped up by other more proactive and serious minded teams. I can imagine that Johnson has a number 2 choice for each position he thinks needs covered working on the principle that he will lose a few by leaving it so late, Judging by other clubs we are only of two clubs in the league that have this dubious strategy , I personally think its a mistake but on the other hand I do not run a football club, we are undoubtedly heading for another mass signing afternoon as if last years was not cringeworthy enough, and those signings didnt exactly fill us with confidence rightly so as it turned out.
We wouldn’t have to pay wages to any new signings until July 1st, as they’d still be getting paid until the end of their current contract. Armani Little for example is still getting paid by us until next Thursday, and then his FGR contract kicks in and they pay him, so in that respect, that theory as to why we don’t announce signings doesn’t pan out. Goodness knows why we do it, I’m not a fan of the strategy at all, perhaps because 80% of last years signings were useless!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

Thank you nick for putting me right, if as you say we do not have to pay any signings prior to the 1st of July then there seems to be no logical reason why we cannot announce any such signings up front, assuming we have any already.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

I see Johnsons press report this morning states he will introduce the new signings at the Buckland game, if I read his comments correctly because they are not household names he does not wish us to form negative opinions on them before we see them play, weird logic, they either come to us with some pedigree like a sound grounding at a championship academy where for whatever reason they never quite made the breakthrough or they are hopeful punts like the majority of last years signings and our negativity on those was certainly proved correct, long before it seems that Johnson came to that same realisation.
The article mentions we only have three players under contract, two of which, Rogers and Koszela will be fringe at best if not already shipped out on loan. He could have cheered us up a bit by saying those that did not sign for other clubs and were offered new contracts have all re- signed.
With Little,Evans,Wright, Wynter and Lewis leaving, the undoubted big earners together with the compo for Lewis we must have more money than we have had for seasons available for players, to be taken seriously this coming season both by the league and our supporters most of that undoubted class that has been lost has to replaced by players of equal statue or it is going to be a long and unproductive season.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Perhaps Johnson won’t make any signings until July 7 as he waits to trawl the availability of ANY ‘bargain’ players left without contracts for the 2022/23 season ? If true, this sort of action does not raise levels of enthusiasm for the forthcoming campaign!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Furthermore, worryingly, Johnson says in the HE that he expects to bring in a ‘few’ players - we will need far more than a few perhaps??
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

I have to say reading that article today makes me more worried. Why would the club not announce signings, it just makes no sense? The only names I’ve heard are Kieran Evans on loan from Cardiff and Michael Kelly from Eastleigh. We all know we’ve lost most of our best players from last season and I can only assume we aren’t in a good position at the moment.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

the negative comments above are really tiresome, i think thats why a lot dont post anymore

People should be very much aware that GJ plays his transfer business close to his chest, we likely have wage capacity with who we have lost and received a reported £50K for Lewis will some good add ons

Making any judgement now is folly
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

So would be purchasing a season ticket!
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

I think people have set unrealistic expectations for this team.

We are a small market team that can't pay fee's that the team like Wrexham can, GJ has worked miracles with what is a very small transfer/wage budget.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Wolborough wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 14:10 So would be purchasing a season ticket!
I imagine that depends if you're a supporter with the intention to attend as many home games as possible

I've got mine
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Well done you - I really hope GJ brings in some stonking players but neither he or the Club have shown many signs that are instilling confidence! Residing in Suffolk mean I cannot get to every home game it (should a decent squad even gathered I would probably acquire ASEAN’s ticket BUT only if things look promising!
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

FFS! Gary Johnson has more nouse in his little finger nail than all the limp wristed speculators here. Let the man do his job. A Brilliant manager, with a track record that is 2nd only to our other hero, Warnock. So STFU! Grow some balls and let him do his thing, he's NEVER let us down.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Jesus judge the man in August, he’s only been doing this job for a few decades