Anyone but Wrexham

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Anyone but Wrexham

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Guess I’d like to see Grimsby or Halifax go up through the playoffs, that’s assuming Stockport win it, which obviously isn’t guaranteed yet. Don’t dislike Wrexham just dislike the way our fans were abused up there this season. Plus we could attempt to make it a VERY special yellow awayday next season.

Who would be you preferred choice to go up?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Wrexham. As long as they remain in Netflix pocket they will continue to spend, spend, spend. It's better to get them out of the way so there is a fairer playing field next season.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Haven’t they gone ‘big’ this season as there is a salary cap next season?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

DWB wrote: 12 May 2022, 17:39 Haven’t they gone ‘big’ this season as there is a salary cap next season?
I haven't heard anything about the salary cap actually being formally approved yet. I think it was only agreed to in principle.
Don't forget the salary cap is not fixed at the same amount for each side. It is a percentage of football related turnover so the bigger clubs will still be at an advantage and I suspect that Wrexham's shirt sponsorship deal puts them well out in front of other clubs.
TUFCfan
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFCfan »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 12 May 2022, 18:01 I haven't heard anything about the salary cap actually being formally approved yet. I think it was only agreed to in principle.
Don't forget the salary cap is not fixed at the same amount for each side. It is a percentage of football related turnover so the bigger clubs will still be at an advantage and I suspect that Wrexham's shirt sponsorship deal puts them well out in front of other clubs.
Think the final decision on the salary cap is supposed to be at the AGM that'll be in the next month or so. The proposed cap was actually an equal fixed amount for every team not an amount based upon turnover.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Would rather Wrexham went up with Stockport. If they do I wouldn’t be surprised if they both go up again from league 2. Money talks I’m afraid and I can see them running away with it next season if they don’t do it this year
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to see Wrexham out of this league for next season. As we know our club can't get promoted this season so lets get of rid the two best financed clubs in Wrexham and Stockport, personally not interested in fancy awaydays next season just want promotion, if Wrexham don't go up they will be a major thorn in everyone's side.

Don't think we should be so naïve as to think a salary cap will completely level the playing field, the only thing decided by National League clubs members is to bring in a salary cap, I believe there is up to four options as what form of salary cap is to be brought forward on the table, to be voted on at the AGM, including both hard and soft salary cap options.

I share the opinion of many that National league clubs will vote for a soft salary cap option I.E a % of turnover, no doubt the PFA will be lobbying for that, and this is why we don't want Wrexham in this league next year, there would be nothing stopping them from spending 110% of their turnover they'd just be banned from signing any more players.

But lets say a hard salary cap option is voted in with the celling of £900k, ask ourselves a question, as to how many NL clubs are spending anything like that on their squads, I don't know, but not entirely sure TUFC could spend that much.

Again I don't know how this works, but how would the signing of loan players work under a salary cap. Would there be anything to stop the better off clubs signing up a smaller squad speeding less money, then padding out their squad with good quality loan players, I'm guessing that say, there was an agreement to cover 50 % of that players wages, 50 % covered by the NL borrowing club would count to the cap, the 50 % being covered by the parent club wouldn't, interesting to know if anyone, knows the answer to that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

forevertufc wrote: 14 May 2022, 10:26 Don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to see Wrexham out of this league for next season. As we know our club can't get promoted this season so lets get of rid the two best financed clubs in Wrexham and Stockport..
I can see some upside in Wrexham remaining in the NL. They are are good team to dislike and look forward to the games against them. There's plenty of vanilla (in terms of identity) teams in the NL. A match against Solihull Moors just isn't as mouth watering. There's every chance we are treading water next year and not challenging for top spot or even likely to get to playoffs.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

I can't bring myself to root for Wrexham today ... Up the mariners!
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

With you on that dude. Fans are dreadful scousers in disguise.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

5-4 could it be over for Wrexham?…
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Forest gull »

United’s average attendance places them eighth in the National League behind (in order) Wrexham 8,636, Stockport 7,126, Notts County 6,800, Chesterfield 6,403, Southend 5,773, Grimsby 5,568 and Woking 2,664. Having said that, Torquay’s figures are higher than League 2 teams Salford City, Harrogate Town and Crawley Town.

So with or without salary cap, those clubs will have plenty more spending power than us next season
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Great game that.........Parkinson not happy with the referee, yet amazingly no mention of Maradona Mullin's blatant handball goal ! which the ref missed !
Pleased they lost in a way.....but we would probably be better off if they had gone up and were not in our league.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Nothing against Wrexham I just don’t like them lol
Who famously said something like that once, think was Marvellous Marvin Hagler.

Wrexham fans, albeit a couple of mindless idiots, were alleged to have abused a few of our younger and female fans in our travelling support. Maybe my motivation comes from that or a tang of jealousy at their available finances, I don’t know, it doesn’t matter now. Fair play to Grimsby they really didn’t give up.

Is our first “TUFC away day” already ear marked?
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

Have to laugh a bit at Wrexham, unfortunately means we are probably playing for a playoff spot at best next season.