2022/2023 Campaign.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

2022/2023 Campaign.

Post by culmstockgull »

Well someone has start the thread, no doubt we are all thionking it in one form or another.
While Johnson still trots out the company line of mathmatical promotion, it aint happening, and you can bet the players have already booked their summer holidays which does not include a visit to wembley.
All the loanees have returned to the club and should logically be given a good run out in the remaining matches to see if they have learnt anything. I liked the forward thinking comments of the Grimsby coach on development players being offered pro contracts, "we do not offer many but for those that do we see it as a three year project and not to be thrown away after one season".
We all have have thoughts on those of the squad we would like to be wearing the shirt next season but with Torquay it is always a case of who will remain knowing there is always a heathier pay check elsewhere. I imagine there will be a couple of retirees, some deadwood will drift into lower league obscurity and there will always be the single early signing to help with season ticket sales.
Will Johnson give is another season or take the vacant job at Yeovil.
This season was the preverbial case of two halfs , pre and post christmas, if the former had been as succesful as the latter we would have been chasing the top spot. What ever the reasons or excuses for the early part of the season it can not happen again.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Really concerned regarding next season. I do not think there will be the money to compete in this league. The owner gave us a 5 year plan to get back to the league. That has now been and gone. Still go back to the playoff final when the referee let us down big time. How the course of a football club can change on the bad decisions of an official.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Clarke Osborne insists on pulling the plug and leaving us high and dry. I do fear for our club. I hope I am wrong.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

Johnson’s not going to Yeovil, they have more problems than Jay-Z, so it’s just not happening.

The squad players, well they haven’t been good enough to break into a mid-table side, so they’re certainly not going to be good enough to challenge for a place in a side aiming for the play offs(at least).

Can’t see any of this bunch retiring as Hall, Moxey and Wright have once again proven themselves pivotal to our squad. Perhaps Danny Wright may need to be used more sparingly next time round, so the biggest task is finding someone to replace him.

For me, our chances next season rely on how many of Shaun Mac, Lewis, Little and Evans put pen to paper with us.
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Be realistic regarding our team. With the prevalence of bigger clubs with more money at the top of the table, getting promotion is a fantasy. With our current and possible attendance figures we will remain a mid-table club and should be content with that. Even then the owner is putting a s….load of money into the club with zero financial gain.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Chrisjb66 wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 09:00 Be realistic regarding our team. With the prevalence of bigger clubs with more money at the top of the table, getting promotion is a fantasy. With our current and possible attendance figures we will remain a mid-table club and should be content with that. Even then the owner is putting a s….load of money into the club with zero financial gain.
We almost won the league last year and only lost the play off final due to poor refereeing.
We should finish between 10th & 8th this season and without the poor start (for exceptional reasons) we'd probably have been in the play offs.
Big club doesn't necessarily mean promotion. Look at Notts County this season and last.
Of course less money puts us at a disadvantage but it doesn't mean that promotion isn't possible.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Yes of course it’s possible. However some of the people posting on here seem to thinks it’s some form of divine right. That’s sheer delusion.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

Disagree Chris, next season with the fair play rules in force the field will be a lot more level than it is today, plus the scond half of our season shows what we could have achieved if we had replicated it pre christmas.
A few experienced additions who are not injury prone and I will be very confident of our chances next season.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Gary referenced some ‘marquee’ players coming in during todays match report as though it’s a done deal? Hinted some of our core team may be pinched by bigger clubs. Hope we can hold on to CLE and Lewis in particular
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

If we can keep a core of McDonald, Lewis, Little and CLE we should do better next season with more time for pre-season planning and recruitment. On the other hand if all of them left I would be very concerned.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

I've said it before and I'll say it again Johnson's brother is to spotting talent what the Taliban is to female emancipation.

Unless the club appoints a scout with an in-depth knowledge of non-league and League 1 and 2 Torquay will end up with useless articles such as Halstead and Holman.

Invest in a knowledgeable scout and Torquay, with Johnson's managerial ability, might just be in with a chance of promotion.

Retain the present incumbent and Torquay have about as much chance of promotion as Iran's president has of being invited to a Bar Mitzvah!!!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 23:46 I've said it before and I'll say it again Johnson's brother is to spotting talent what the Taliban is to female emancipation.

Unless the club appoints a scout with an in-depth knowledge of non-league and League 1 and 2 Torquay will end up with useless articles such as Halstead and Holman.

Invest in a knowledgeable scout and Torquay, with Johnson's managerial ability, might just be in with a chance of promotion.

Retain the present incumbent and Torquay have about as much chance of promotion as Iran's president has of being invited to a Bar Mitzvah!!!
And that is simply not going to happen unless Pete Johnson decides to quit of his own volition.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 23:46 I've said it before and I'll say it again Johnson's brother is to spotting talent what the Taliban is to female emancipation.

Good grief! Did he shag your sister or something?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

I think having Johnsons brother as our official/unofficial scout is a sign of where we are as a club, good scouts cost money and expenses too, or they take a cut or finders fee , as we dont pay for anyone then logically he would have to have a salary. I would rather that money went towards a player than paying for someone to watch biggleswade v clacton (other exciting matches are available).
Our so called scout is on expenses only,
Even at our modest level we have to deal with those bottom feeding scum and night dwellers called agents who will hard sell a one legged blind man to some managers and as we found last season we actually fell for it on several occasions, even a club like ours spent over ten thousand pounds on agents fees in the previous season.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

davethegull2 wrote: 01 May 2022, 06:51 Good grief! Did he shag your sister or something?
:rofl:
Sounds like he did the whole family...... :}
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

What's the point of playing a player's salary when some of those identified by Peter Johnson are patently nowhere near National League standard and who, in some cases, spend more time in the treatment room or in the stand than on the pitch.

Unless the scout(s) identify quality players Torquay will be a non-league club for eternity.