50 Years Ago Today TUFC v Plymouth Argyle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

50 Years Ago Today TUFC v Plymouth Argyle

Post by portugull »

A friend recently gave me the Official Programme cost 5p for the above fixture which was a Saturday game with a 7.30pm KO.

Tony Boyce was Chairman, Jack Edwards was Manager Don Mills was our Trainer and Argyle were Managed by Ellis Stuttard.

Argyle had won at Home Park on Dec 27th 3-1 before a crowd of 20,096! In our team on April 1st were Clint Boulton, Mal Lucas, Alan Skirton, Alan Welsh,Ken Sandercock and Cliff Jackson. In goal was John Connaughton.

Plymouth included John Hore, David Proven & Mick Cave. We were relegated to Division 4 that season.

For the old guys like me advertisers included Palm Court Hotel,Cobleys Fish & Chips,Shiphay Manor Club, Cavanna Homes, still trading,Bartlett Refrigeration .still trading,and Phil Read Motors.

Bruce Stuckey who I well remember when we were teenagers was on the payroll but did not play that night.

Anyone remember the score?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

2-1 with goals from Welsh and Tearse. Eleven days later we beat Aston Villa 2-1 at Plainmoor.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

Conley's fish and chips is still trading too. Not been there since the 1990s
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Do you mean Cobleys ? In Belgrave Road.
Use to go there back in the day, until Hanburys came on the scene
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Used to cycle up from Walnut Road to collect family’s fish and chips! Connection to the Gulls……err nothing.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Chrisjb66 wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 08:36 Used to cycle up from Walnut Road to collect family’s fish and chips! Connection to the Gulls……err nothing.
Unless a few spotted you and stole your chips ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

North Curry House wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 08:26 Do you mean Cobleys ? In Belgrave Road.
Use to go there back in the day, until Hanburys came on the scene
Yes Cobley's, thanks for correcting.

Used to go there just after passing driving test, when I lived over in cockington end of town. Now Drake's is my go-to chippy.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

As a beatnik regular at The Rising Sun I used Cobley's regularly. I always had a 'sit down' in the back room; fish, chips, peas and a round of bread and butter for 3/3. Great stuff!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 20:02 2-1 with goals from Welsh and Tearse. Eleven days later we beat Aston Villa 2-1 at Plainmoor.
.......and, coming back down to earth, a few more days later we lost 5 - 1 at Villa Park in front of over 37,000 (luckily I wasn't there that time but I was just over a year previously and I prefer to remember that match).
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

gateman49 wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 14:24 .......and, coming back down to earth, a few more days later we lost 5 - 1 at Villa Park in front of over 37,000 (luckily I wasn't there that time but I was just over a year previously and I prefer to remember that match).
I went to both matches at Villa Park. The first a 1-0 win with Mickey Cave scoring eight minutes from time. We lost on the second occasion 5-1. Brian Little made his debut in that game and we were relegated.

I remember when we lost to Villa ( the only time we did), it was in the days before I could drive, so arranged to catch the early morning train. That was thrown into chaos when I had to attend our Head Office in Kensington High Street for a promotion interview the day before. Thankfully, I was promoted AND got to Birmingham and home safely but very tired.