Can We Make the Play Offs?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Nice sentiment to consider a possible challenge for a playoff place. Sadly our sequence of recent draws has surely put paid to such chances? Suspect we will fall well short of the top seven spot (unfortunately)!
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

At Christmas to me the maths suggested we would not make it. Three months later, sadly the maths and match ups still suggested we miss out.

However our current form has kept things alive and more importantly to me suggested the core of the team could challenge next season. For now and the rest of the season I will support Gary and the boys, while hoping for a miracle.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

To go up we're probably going to have to beat at least three of these, four of whom we play away - Dagenham, Chesterfield, Stockport, Notts Co, Grimsby. (As well as fiver 'lesser' teams).

Then we'll need to beat two of Stockport or Wrexham, Chesterfield, Halifax, Solihull & probably Notts Co or Grimsby, two of which would be away and one at Wembley.

It's a long shot to get into the play offs and an even longer shot to get promoted but given the start to the season we've done well to be going into April with even a small chance of the play offs.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

standupsitdown wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 09:48 To go up we're probably going to have to beat at least three of these, four of whom we play away - Dagenham, Chesterfield, Stockport, Notts Co, Grimsby. (As well as fiver 'lesser' teams).

Then we'll need to beat two of Stockport or Wrexham, Chesterfield, Halifax, Solihull & probably Notts Co or Grimsby, two of which would be away and one at Wembley.

It's a long shot to get into the play offs and an even longer shot to get promoted but given the start to the season we've done well to be going into April with even a small chance of the play offs.
Agree 100% on your last paragraph. The first 6 games we were woeful, and have left us with a mountain to climb now, at the business end of the season.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Nick Potkins wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 09:12

However our current form has kept things alive and more importantly to me suggested the core of the team could challenge next season.
So we should be getting this "core" signed up for next year before another mass exodus at the end of the season. Otherwise, we will, yet again, be rebuilding a team from scratch.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Rebuilding should start now by getting rid of the dead wood and those constantly injured or unable to perform as they did in their prime.

Halstead
Omar
Hall
perritt
Lolos
Rogers
Slough
Brzozowsli
Konzela
Holman
Wright
Piper
Moyse
Felix

That should release some funds to assemble a better squad for next season.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

North Curry House wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 14:24 Rebuilding should start now by getting rid of the dead wood and those constantly injured or unable to perform as they did in their prime.

Halstead Ok, but he's probably on 2 year deal
Omar I'd keep him; think he has potential, is probably cheap, and a decent backup. (still need new centre-half, though.)
Hall we're generally a better side with him. give him another year.
perritt a: Loan Player. b: went back in january :}
Loloswould agree he's on the way out. Shame, I thought he had potential, but attitude seems to be an issue
Rogers Yep. Tiverton might be his level
Slough Keep him around squad. Can't be expensive.
Brzozowsli decent back up keeper, his fate depends on whether we can ship out Halstead and keep McDonald. Decent backup in my view
Konzela give him a year with the first team, use him as sub. If it doesn't work, move him on summer 2023.
Holman mixed feelings here - feel like we're not set up to take advantage of him, but he hasn't really done it. if we can bring in good youngsih striker (25-27), ok
Wright Keep, but not as first choice striker. He can't play 40+ games in a season but would be a good bench option.
Piper/Moyse I'd keep both through pre-season, and make decision on either loan or keep. Think we have to start using our 'academy' at some point.
Felix Nots sure here - I'd keep him, mostly because i bet he's cheap.

We don't know the budget for next season, but we need;
  • Centre-half
  • Fast, half decent wingers
  • proven striker
  • #1 goalkeeper (I'd be ok with MacDonald, but would not be surprised to see him get a deal elsewhere).
we also have to consider people we'd like to stay but may move on; mainly Joe Lewis, Armani Little, Connor Lemonheigh-Evans. If we can keep all three, that'd be great, but if we had to lose one i'd be ok with one of the latter two. Lewis is our best defender, and sometimes Little and CLE seem unable to play together.

Of those left, I think O'Connell is very marginal, as is Chiori Johnson. I don't expect Jake Andrews to be retained, even though he's technically only on loan. Would happily keep Wearne & Duke-McKenna, but I'd be surprised if they were loaned to us again. Would expect both to be at League 2 clubs (at least) next season.

if we can keep the core together, we're really not that far away from a very competitive side for next season.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I think happytorq has the correct attitude to this summer, it is who we can retain, in my view Mcdonald, Lewis, little will all move on unless they have had a real strong indication from Johnson that he promises to bring in quality. If Wright/Moxey wants to stay another season then for their experience alone I would keep them. I would certainly keep Hall as the midfield actually functions well and seems secure with him in the middle, Slough and Moyse give them a first team season, I saw enough of Moyse in pre season to see that he had bags of quality, Slough too if he has toughened up this loan season and can cope with big forwards . Koszela no, he has had many chances and fluffed them all. Tiverton and Dorchester is his level. Of the others mentioned by North Curry House, no clear the decks get rid of all of them, they warm the bench for a good reason and provide little or no competition to the first eleven.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

North Curry House wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 14:24 Rebuilding should start now by getting rid of the dead wood and those constantly injured or unable to perform as they did in their prime.

Halstead
Omar
Hall
perritt
Lolos
Rogers
Slough
Brzozowsli
Konzela
Holman
Wright
Piper
Moyse
Felix

I'd keep Omar as back up. He seems to have good attitude, is dominant in the air and potential to improve.
Hall I'd keep for another season.
Wright I'd keep but expect to use mainly from the bench.
Brzozowsli I haven't seen enough of to know if he's good enough as reserve keeper.
Piper, Moyse & Felix I think we need to see a bit more of before making a decision.
The rest can go I think. Possibly keep Holman to use from the bench.
Lolos is a disappointment. I thought he was going to be good but it seems Gary isn't happy with his attitude.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

With regard to Olaf, has he actually had many chances? A quick internet search suggests he's had 283 minutes of football for us across 5 seasons.

I'd defer to Gary's expertise at all times but it us a shame he's not seen more first team action, especially given some of the loanees we've given chances to instead.

It's all very well us bemoaning Exeter coining it in selling on youngsters but if we don't play them we'll just continue to be a feeder club for Tiverton and Taunton!
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Anyhow, for me the biggest priority signing is Gary himself! Really hoping he fancies another year at least.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Any idea how our loaned out players are getting on?
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Suspect they are playing at the level of their capabilities. Most will eventually be shifted out.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Admiral wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 20:36 Any idea how our loaned out players are getting on?
Well Gaby Rogers, who supporters swooned over in the pre-season friendlies, went down a division with Truro City, couldn't make the grade there so went down another division with Plymouth Parkway.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

With regards to Omar mentioned above. Although not the finished article he has improved. Surely the best thing now that we are not going to get relegated is to start him in every game until the end of the season and see how he progresses, then decide what to do. Forget the play-offs, we're not going to get there, the club and Johnson just keep plugging it to get the fans turning up until the end of the season.