Can We Make the Play Offs?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

portugull wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 15:46 Our only hope is for a complete collapse in form by at least 3 of the 5 teams currently in places 6 to 10 above us AND for United to have a brilliant

finish to the season.

Highly unlikely but as we all know in Football sometimes the unexpected happens. Look at Newcastle.
Losing 1-0 at Chelsea..... :} :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

portugull wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 15:46 Highly unlikely but as we all know in Football sometimes the unexpected happens. Look at Newcastle.
Newcastle spent a shed load of blood money in the transfer window.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

As much as there’s almost no chance, I bet everyone’s quietly keeping an eye on the likes of Notts tonight..
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

More than anything, it would be nice to keep the season interesting until may, rather than it petering out. Last night’s results were perfect for us really, but the problem is despite other results going for us I can’t see us doing our part.

Can we afford to not win at Halifax? We have two winnable home games after (which we usually lose after looking ahead). A point at Halifax followed by two home wins against Aldershot and Weymouth will likely see us make up a few points, but games are running out fast. Very tough run in after that
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

The positivity of some posters is commendable but belies the fact we neither deserve or are fit for promotion, well not this season anyway. two few goals scored ,far too many conceded, runs of five without a loss followed by three poor results are not indicative of a promotion team, overall the weakest squad for several seasons, the quality and experience of last season was not replaced.
We acquired a job lot of players in July , many of which are just not up to this league both in terms of ability and quality.
I would like the season to end now with mid table security if it meant that Johnson could use all his time and effort in searching for and acquiring the right players for the next campaign instead of signing players in July that every one else had run the rule over and discounted.
In terms of retaining players we aready have , and there are just a few in my opinion that turn up each week and put the work in I would be offering them extended contracts now on the basis that these few will undoubtedly attract the attentions of other clubs in the summer and at least if we did decide to let them go we could get money for them.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

culmstockgull wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 14:46 The positivity of some posters is commendable but belies the fact we neither deserve or are fit for promotion, well not this season anyway. two few goals scored ,far too many conceded, runs of five without a loss followed by three poor results are not indicative of a promotion team, overall the weakest squad for several seasons, the quality and experience of last season was not replaced.
We acquired a job lot of players in July , many of which are just not up to this league both in terms of ability and quality.
I would like the season to end now with mid table security if it meant that Johnson could use all his time and effort in searching for and acquiring the right players for the next campaign instead of signing players in July that every one else had run the rule over and discounted.
In terms of retaining players we aready have , and there are just a few in my opinion that turn up each week and put the work in I would be offering them extended contracts now on the basis that these few will undoubtedly attract the attentions of other clubs in the summer and at least if we did decide to let them go we could get money for them
:goodpost: Especially the final paragraph.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I reckon we’d need nine wins from the last twelve games.
If we managed that we would deserve a play off place.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

I forget things very quickly nowadays. With reference to culmstockgull's comment, could someone please tell me the last time we received a transfer fee for a player, and how much was it?
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Let’s concentrate on next season. We are currently a mid-table team that would be in the fertiliser if promoted. No chance of that anyway unless more forwards score more goals.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

grockle wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 10:55 I forget things very quickly nowadays. With reference to culmstockgull's comment, could someone please tell me the last time we received a transfer fee for a player, and how much was it?
Possibly Euan O'Kane in 2012 to Bournemouth. Don't know the fee but he had a £175k release fee in his contract at the time.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Chrisjb66 wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 11:05 Let’s concentrate on next season. We are currently a mid-table team that would be in the fertiliser if promoted. No chance of that anyway unless more forwards score more goals.
I don’t see how promotion would be a bad thing? I doubt the players will want to down tools for the remaining 12 games if it’s possible
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

If we lose on Saturday it’s goodnight for the second time, an unlikely win and we’ll reassess, could do with Notts not winning at Dagenham
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Standup will be on in a minute telling us how many points we need - please God -no
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Can we close this thread down now please?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

No, so can we concentrate on next season and start planning now!!!