Torquay United v Boreham Wood Tuesday 22 Feb KO 19.45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

desperado wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 08:18 Lots of rubbish on that other fans forum from people not at the game.
That was an absorbing, gripping, emotional, totally committed old fashioned game.
Thoroughly enjoyable - excellent, well earned point , well done lads, gave absolutely everything.
I agree.
We did well to get a point against a very physical team who are better than us.
It also says something that although Boreham Wood would have wanted a win to make up ground at the top they didn't seem unhappy to take a point at Plainmoor.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I am not sure committed and absorbing fits my interpretation of last nights game, we spent much of the game reacting to the opposition as opposed to playing our game , I would be generous in saying we had five good attacking chances.
This is not a moan, it is a reflection of where we are this season, if Johnson had any confidence in the squad or our chances of promotion we would play our game,every game and let the opposition worry about stopping us, the eleven that started last night are as good as it gets for us and if we are all honest the majority are just are not good enough to take us any further in this league, there is no super sub lying in wait just a group of bench warmers who will be released at the end of the season.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

You don't think both teams were totally committed last night ? Extraordinary.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Mid table will do me this season after the start we had and the look of the team then, just hope we can build a team for promotion next season, as for this season i am not singing we’re on are way to the football league because not to be involved in the play offs could just help us look for new and better players for next season.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Willowgull »

My take on last night is that both teams were totally committed and gave everything. Boreham Wood were a very big and physical side. The game lacked any real quality with very few chances.
What disappointed me is that we continued to play too many long aimless balls which they soaked up easily.

Not sure those tactics were quite right.
On a positive, we defended very well and looked solid. I'm not McDonald's biggest fan but credit to him he had one of his better games.
Why do so many come on here and blast the referee after every game? The ref honestly wasn't that bad.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Willowgull wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 10:49 My take on last night is that both teams were totally committed and gave everything. Boreham Wood were a very big and physical side. The game lacked any real quality with very few chances.
What disappointed me is that we continued to play too many long aimless balls which they soaked up easily.

Not sure those tactics were quite right.
On a positive, we defended very well and looked solid. I'm not McDonald's biggest fan but credit to him he had one of his better games.
Why do so many come on here and blast the referee after every game? The ref honestly wasn't that bad.
you must be his brother if you think that
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

No,desperdado I do not think both teams were committed last night, Borehamwood for very obvious reasons and Torquay because we lack the where with all to compete at the top half of this league, comments I have seeen such as Borehamwood were a big strong physical team , really, name one team that has visited us this season who have not fitted that bill. All these managers with more successful teams cannot be wrong, we by contrast seem to believe the opposite, without Hall our midfield has been overan , played through and geniunely bullied all season, out of the eight midfielders we have only one reaches the dizzy hights of 6 foot. we only have two players of pace out of eleven, both loanees. This team may show endeavour and work rate but if they do not have the requisite skill level it all comes to naught.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Willowgull »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 13:57 you must be his brother if you think that
Comments like 'its all about him' and "he ruined the game". The ref certainly didn't ruin the game. I've no idea where your coming from.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

He didn't ruin the game and it wasn't so much his decisions but the way he was so officious with long talks to players when most refs would have dealt with it quickly. Even gave Downes a lecture for taking the ball to the right spot for a throw in when Boreham had been pinching yards every time without action. And the way he was conned when a Boreham player went down after Wright wressled the ball from him - changing his decision to a free kick.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

The ref was inconsistent, and seemed to favour BW whenever a player hit the deck or complained or took a throw-in/free kick 10 yards further upfield.
And he didn't blow for a handball on the edge of the BW penalty area early in the first half.
Still, we set up for a draw, we hoofed and chased the ball upfield for a draw, and we got a draw. Couldn't fault the effort, but very limited tactics with a diminutive and largely by-passed midfield against a stronger, quicker, and more confident opposition.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I just could not resist posting to back up desperado and say that I found last nights game a real blood & guts Match between two sides who gave absolutely everything for their respective Managers.

For someone to say "I do not think both teams were committed last night" tells me they know nothing about Professional Football.

I have watched the Game for well over 60 years and both sides gave their all in front of a roaring Popside who sung their hearts out. That would not happen in a low key boring Match. Crowds always react to end to end play and this was no bore draw that is for sure.

I commend every single player on both sides for their all out effort. It was a shame we had such a poor Referee who seemed to think we had come to watch his performance.Well I can tell him we suffered his inadequate performance from start to finish.

For anyone in any doubt just listen to Gary Johnson's post match interview.COYY.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

Hi portugull, I do not claim to have extensive knowledge of the minuatiae of pro football, like you I have watched Torquay for sixty years with a gap of ten years working in london where I had to tolerate premier league footie, I still argue that the game against borehamwood was not commitment unless you argue we were committed to a plan to prevent Borehamwood playing with no obvious ofensive plan of our own, in much the same way Borehamwood had a successful plan to disrupt the game at every opportuity which they did very well. Thats my arguement, we are no longer a team that cares not who turns up we play our game, now we are a team that realises our huge shortcomings and puts a plan together to stop other teams playing in the hope we can nick a goal here and there.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights are up

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest