Torquay vs Wrexham 05/02/22

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 00:19 Have to say that's probably the best result of the season beating Hollywood FC. :rofl:
As for Parkinson - bad loser talking b*llocks in my book - blamed the pitch and the weather - same for both teams FFS. :slap:
Said they'd have won IF they'd have scored - Note to Parkinson - You didn't and lost 1-0 you complete tool.
He’ll get sacked.
Lucy
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Great result. It is a team game and we had a team that was really playing with guts and determination. They had 11 individuals not playing as a team. Thought the tactics and team selection was interesting and indeed were spot on for that game with no recognised centre forward and Asa Hall playing as a ‘sweeper’. It meant that the 6 ‘midfielders’ were able to interchange quite a bit and allow a bit more fluidity.
I wonder if that is the way forward for us and against weaker opposition would create more chances??
Well done the team and GJ.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The big difference is that you can have all the money you want, and spend it on the best players you can convince to move, but football is a team game and you need to sign players that will work together.

We may not have the best team we’ve ever had, but they play together as a unit and that’s half the battle.

GJ is seasoned enough to know this.
Plus, when we did have money, in the days of Bucks as manager, he got plates in that he knew individually could do a job, but would work well collectively too. That’s the difference, and that’s why we won and why the likes of Wrexham will struggle until they become a cohesive unit.

A great win yesterday. Onwards and upwards!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by smw1989 »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 08:20 The big difference is that you can have all the money you want, and spend it on the best players you can convince to move, but football is a team game and you need to sign players that will work together.

We may not have the best team we’ve ever had, but they play together as a unit and that’s half the battle.

GJ is seasoned enough to know this.
Plus, when we did have money, in the days of Bucks as manager, he got plates in that he knew individually could do a job, but would work well collectively too. That’s the difference, and that’s why we won and why the likes of Wrexham will struggle until they become a cohesive unit.

A great win yesterday. Onwards and upwards!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 08:20 The big difference is that you can have all the money you want, and spend it on the best players you can convince to move, but football is a team game and you need to sign players that will work together.
With the money they have, Wrexham should piss this league - even taking into account the resources available to 2 or 3 other sides. I just feel that by hiring a manager who has never managed in this division, they've missed on knowing what is required at this level. That leads into recruitment. i've no doubt the players they've brought in could do a very good job in League 2, but they have to get there first.

If I was in their shoes I'd have spent money getting the best players from other NL clubs; Joe Lewis, Michael Cheek, Cal Roberts...hell, maybe even a cheeky bid for Tshimanga. None of these players are making fortunes and it'd probably be foolish for them to turn down the kind of money that Wrexham will be offering. But instead, they go for League 1 players with no experience of playing at places like King's Lynn, and it's showing. One of their big signings is suspended for multiple games now, having got sent off twice already this season. He's probably on at least 5 grand a week!

We don't know what the budget is at Torquay, obviously, but Johnson has been consistent is saying that he only wants to bring in players who believe in what we're trying to do, and can fit it. Ali Omar is a good example; it remains to be seen if he becomes a good player at this level (I think he will) but you can't deny he's fully bought in to the club, and for me that's something you just don't get with mercenary buys.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

Highlights,

Where did all their fans go? I thought that they had sold out their allocation and yet there were plenty of empty seats in the two blocks they had and lots of room in the away end.
Last edited by Louis on 08 Feb 2022, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Swapped the video to TUFC's footage to give TUFC ad revenue - Wrexham have enough with their Hollywood $s - hope that's ok OP