Torquay United v Dagenham & Redbridge Sat 8 Jan KO3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

We caught them cold at the start but it was a measure of how good they are as a side that they did not panic, continued to play football and eventually overran our midfield and turned the game round. Really, though, we were there for the taking and I thought it ended up being two points dropped by them. Thought CLE was anything but our MOTM - he was consistently outplayed and gave the ball away needlessly although the same could be said of most of our team. McDonald, apart from the first goal conceded, had a very good game pulling out some acrobatic saves and was my MOTM closely followed by Lewis. I think this match emphasised that we do not have what it takes to push for the playoffs - there are just too many other better sides in the league this year. Mid-table is where I think we will end up. By the way - thought the popside support was great again today.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

A midfield missing LIttle and Lapslie and playing and dare I say it a fading Asa Hall meant we were really up against it as D & R are a very good side. So taking in to account the player options and the match conditions we did bloody well to get a point !!
Sean MacDonald my MOTM
The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

Excellent ref today. Very few free kicks for fouls, and no bookings.
The conditions didn't suit Torquay today, tired more quickly than D & R.
They played in the second half like we used to last season.
They always seemed to have a man over when on the attack.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

We were there for the taking?
The same way they were at the start. We should of been 3-0 up in 20 minutes, or definitely 3-1 at the start of the second half.
Yes they had us under the cosh, but with the players missing, thought it was a determined point from us. Even at the end, we didn't time waste or play into the corners, we still went for a winner.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Taelee73 wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 19:35 We were there for the taking?
The same way they were at the start. We should of been 3-0 up in 20 minutes, or definitely 3-1 at the start of the second half.
Yes they had us under the cosh, but with the players missing, thought it was a determined point from us. Even at the end, we didn't time waste or play into the corners, we still went for a winner.
Yes, we were. For most of the game they outplayed us and, as others have said, always engineered the extra man when attacking. They should really have won at a canter but for some overplaying around our box and a fine performance from Sean McDonald.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

Thought a draw was a fair result. Conditions made it very hard for both teams - but D&R managed it better in the end. Lots of chances at both ends, and yes we could have had more than 2 goals in first 25mins, and D&R could have had more than 2 in the last 65.

D&R do look a good team though and would have destroyed us had they been lucky enough to visit few months back.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Can't say I enjoyed watching that but with midfielders Little, Lapslie, Johnson, Sparkes and Felix all out not to mention the loss of Armstrong it was hardly surprising we struggled to keep the ball.
Wearne looked good in the first half, looking forward to seeing him get better and better.
The groundstaff will certainly be busy this week, the timing of the very heavy rain was unlucky, at least they have a dry week to get it back in a reasonable shape though a lot of damage was done, shows how important the korrowing is pre season which we missed last summer.
Going back to the game it was complete reversal of last season when we absolutely battered them for the whole of the second half and lost 1-0 we left the ground shaking our heads at how we hadn't scored.
Let's hope we are back to full strength at Altrincham , a win there and follow that up with 3 points on the Tuesday v Solihull and we will still be in the mix . That's what Gary will be thinking .
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest