Jake Andrews leaves the club

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Good luck Jake and thank you for you years of service.
However I can only imagine the sentiment shown is down to him being part of our championship winning team rather than the last couple of seasons.
As others have pointed out he has rarely started over the last few seasons when all are fit. As much as we could us him for set pieces if we wish to progress we need more and I am glad GJ is striving for that and doesn’t share the same sentiment as some fans.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

Always one of my favourite players as his raw talent was more than some players at this level will ever have. As he was injured in the play off final, he missed pre-season so lacks match practice. It is true he would be better if he ran like Usain Bolt but then he would be playing in the Championship.
He will be missed.
Good luck to him.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

A little surprised to see Jake go - I could think of 6 others who should have gone first, and thought him deserving of more first team football after he returned to full fitness. But GJ acknowledged the squad is not up to standard and guess this is the start of the 'clearing out' process with Exeter's left footed loanee Sparkes (21) as Jake's replacement for the season. Although he has only played 3 first team games since 2019 due to injuries. So now wait in anticipation as to whether Sparkes quality is over and above that of Jake's.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Exeter City would not have given Sparkes another year on his Contract until June 2023 unless they rated him highly.

An excellent loan signing in my view.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Think Sparkes loan is for a month, initially at least
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

No prizes who has just scored at Eastbourne
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

North Curry House wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 11:21 We need to get rid of a lot more dead wood before we can move forward with some "decent" signings.
I can not see Wright, Omar or either of our back up keepers ever playing a significant part in our quest for the play offs. Send them out on loan or MC Donald's are always looking for staff.
What's with the negativity with Wright - maybe he had one or two bad games earlier this season, I don't know, as I didn't see them. But he looked like the only person who could win or hold a ball up front against Altrincham. He was absolutely instrumental with getting us 12 points clear last year, was then hailed the lost messiah until he came back with a crucial goal, was out a bit again, and returned to instantly make a crucial impact with pretty much everyone agreeing we would have comfortably gone up with him and Whitfield fit.
The commentators today said him coming on and his know-how instantly improved us today and helped relieve some pressure, which doesn't surprise me at all. He always has a top striker's sense of where to be to score in the box - near post, far post - he loses his defenders.

Ok, he's not the quickest, but if he's not scoring, it's because a team doesn't have the quality in midfield or wide to make the most of him. As long as he's not alongside another slow striker I'd always have him. Much as I love CLE when he's up with or just behind the striker (Armstrong), he's still not as good at that as Danny - although he'd always be my first choice midfielder even though we now seem to have Armani and Asa on song.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Thought Wright showed us his qualities today, was excellent in the time he was on. Holds the ball up, is very hard to shake off it, (3 of theirs tried to at once) and wins flick ons. Upfront with a quick player, he will hopefully form a great strike force.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Nice to see Jake score on his debut at Eastbourne, remember him scoring an absolute screamer in the top corner there in one of Gary's first few games in a 4-2 win.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

londongull63 wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 17:47
What's with the negativity with Wright - maybe he had one or two bad games earlier this season, I don't know, as I didn't see them.
It's to do with the fact he is at the end of his career. He's 37, his body can't take it any more, hence he is slow and injury prone. We'll never get a run of games out of him and we can't afford the luxury of a player who spends most of his time on the physio table rather than the pitch.
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

Half the team pulled hamstrings last year. He played the first half of the season without a single injury, so we don't know it's anything to do with age. If we ruled people out for being injured a lot people wouldn't care about Jake going this season, and we'd be suggesting waving goodbye to Asa, Armani, perhaps Connor, and no-one would have cared about the losses of Cameron, Nemane and Whitfield. In fact we'd probably only have a team of Moxey, Wynter and Lewis as regulars who've not been injured