Torquay United v FC Halifax Town Sat 27 Nov KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 14:20 For those who didn't go to the game or follow events from the match, make no mistake our two injury time goals, merely papered over the cracks, making this look a much closer game than it was, our team was well beaten in this game

In the spirit of honesty, it must be said the team actually made a very good start to the game, having the a fair share of possession, pressing well, and racked up a few corners, however despite our early dominance never really looked like scoring, in the first 25 minutes or so, Halifax struggled to play through our press, and couldn't get their quick accurate passing game going as our team gave them little time.

That was about as good as it got, with Hall and Moxey it was unlikely our team could keep up that kind of pressing game, space soon started to appear and once Halifax had a foot hold in the game, you felt, they were the more likely team to take the 3 points. Halifax soon started to trouble our defensive line, their passing was quick, to feet, and movement off the ball was first class, and with (Slew) who was excellent through out looked a very good side.

TUFC could so easily have gone in at the break 0.3 behind, but for MacDonald recovering his own mistake from a save, denying Halifax a tap in, and a timely clearance from another MacDonald save, however shortly before the break Halifax would take a deserved lead.

So at Halftime I thinking we've got away with a couple, we're only 1 goal behind, there's really something to fight for here, or so you'd have thought. The second half began in such an abject, awful and pathetic manner for the Gulls, the half would only get worse as the minutes ticked by, with in a few minutes of the restart Perrit came out to clear the ball, seemingly (from my view) no danger but some how seem to misjudge the pace of the ball and ran past it, leaving Slew a chance to get his shot off, and produced a first class finish, half time team talk in the dustbin, shortly afterwards MacDonald produced a weak flat handed parry presenting the in-form and ever alert Waters with a dolly, 0.3 and game over.

When you've got 75% of your team not doing enough, no passion or fight, slow in every aspect of the game your done for. O'Connell came on added pace and industry but little in the way quality, Lolos brought some mobility and some quality, the introduction of these two players helped stem the endless tide waves of Halifax attacks on our goal.

Only some timely interventions from MacDonald, Wynter, Lewis and the outside of our goal post stopped Halifax from at least doubling their goal tally. Don't want to seem as if I'm being harsh on MacDonald who's performed very well since his return, or on Hall and Moxey, but it's showing that both may not have the legs for this level, certainly not 90 minutes week in and out, it surprised me that Moxey hadn't been withdrawn earlier as he was hopelessly exposed by the passing and movement from Halifax.

what happened in the last 5minutes of this game left a sour taste in my mouth ( sure I was not alone) we get a late consultation, when almost straight from the kick-off Little does something that you ca hear the voices in the crowd moaning and groaning about, the lack off chances taken to get shots off, Little has a speculative shot at goal likely in desperation, catch's their keeper off guard and scores, so now, every player in our team has energy, desire and wants the ball, I find myself puzzled as to why it takes something to spark them into life often either late in the game, or like this match too late in the game, they clearly have it with in to perform a lot better, all in all as said, well and truly beaten in this game despite the full time score.

I posted back in September that I had concerns, and posted since those concerns were growing, now reality is hitting home we're in a relegation scrap, when the team should be up in the top 10, at the very least in touch with the play offs.

Will add this next bit here. Think the apathy amongst our fanbase at the moment is frightening, we've seen it before during the reigns of Hargreaves and Nicho, this season was always going to be difficult, why ? I believe the play-offs started in the non-league top flight in 2001, and on 9 separate occasions since a team, including TUFC has been promoted the season after losing in the play-offs with the same shortened preparation time.

Not Gary Johnsons fault he's had his budget cut, no one, but no one said this in July/August, in fact can't remember anyone saying it September or October, just a complete cop out in my view.

Gary Johnson signed these players, announcing them individually and with fan fare, he trains them, motivates them, it's on him, however at least we can respect his post match honesty when admitting he'd got us into this mess, putting to bed much of this fan nonsense, he also talked about being the one fix this mess, just being honest with my own opinion think he should be given time to prove that.

The clock is ticking, time running out fast, no need for us to be thinking GJ is the be all and end all as manager of our club, or no one else would want it, I can't name a specific candidate, because I don't who would or would not want the job, but I'm 100% certain our club wouldn't be short of suitable applicants.
:goodpost:

tbh though Dave, due to the late start in recruitment and the players that then left, I did and I'm sure others did too.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

culmstockgull wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 13:48 Can we please try to keep this in pespective, for those who call for Johnsons head,.... if he leaves, and why would anyone stay longterm for the perpetual negative press we are back to the TUST/TRUST rearing their ugly heads and it will be southern league football at best.
I don't understand what you mean by that. Why would the manager leaving lead to TUST "rearing their ugly head"? If the owner bailed out, yes then TUST would no doubt want to try and take the club over, but if Johnson went we would just get another manager whoever that is.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Why the negativity about TUST?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

There was no intention to be negative about TUST, I apologise for poor wording, I was trying to convey that the TUST were willing to try and do something when the lights were going out prior to Clarke coming in, but they had little or no resources, probably two weeks wages at best and very little forward plan, I was a member of the TUST at that time and it may be a different fish now but as potential custodians of the club its a non starter.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well having watched the highlights it proves beyond doubt that if you shoot enough you will score because in this match we had 2 goals from distance and both goalkeepers will be having nightmares that the ball finished in the net.

Shaun really should have saved a softish shot from over 25 yards instead of spilling it before the grateful Billy Waters and the Little goal was very strange again from at least 25 yards.

Both goals from Slew were inch perfect and no keeper would have saved the second one.

When we defend we have to get tighter and make it harder for the opponents to get the shot away.