Boreham wood v Torquay Tues

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

....And joy I can watch it on BT !!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Can we get Waters back on loan?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 21:22 albeit we scored 5 on Saturday generally we arent scoring enough
The magic 10 game parameter has been reached. One look at our league table position and goal average tells you what's in store for the season. A half decent side (with no pace) holding a mid-table slot with a mixed bag of results.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

We didn’t play badly but Boreham Wood look a good team with a large well organised defence and after the penalty were able to keep numbers back so were difficult to break down. We could easily have scored one or two in the first 25 minutes and last half hour but the ball didn’t quite run for us and they defended well.

All these ‘big’ ex football league clubs in the league and a club with less than 500 home fans is second in the table.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Well beaten last night from a verty good experienced side. Johnson said in his comments after that 29 was their average age. A very good outfit hey looked like and won comfortably. A well constructed move for the first goal but we created nothing bar some token efforts near the end. A stupid pen early sand theyt econd half and Boden never misses penalties . No pace in the squad at all, although we are missing Addai as he has been excellent. Not on the bench so take it he is crocked too. Our benis embarrrassing with players like Lolos , Johnson and Rogers. All youngsters .........
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

As Mellow has highlighted above, 10 games in and it looks like it's going to be a season of mid table mediocrity after last night's showing.

Beaten by the better side, well drilled, decent defence. Could have nicked one (or two) right at the end but it wasn't to be. Bad day at the office, move on.... concentrate on the Bromley game and hope that we can gel as a team... Lapslie seemed to be the only one who actually gave a f*ck last and ran his socks off going for every ball.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
SimonJones
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SimonJones »

Have to agree re Lapslie. He certainly looks one of our more ‘adequate’ signings in the summer.

Can’t wait for the “players not up to this standard” to be offloaded and GJ new signings to be unveiled. Certainly need pace, but also more than satisfactory ability in the position they’re signed for.

Anyone have any news on the new players incoming?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

So according to Johnson for eighty minutes we were second best so why were the subs not used a lot earlier, also Johnson says we gave it a go for the last ten minutes, could we not have done that in the first half. so we lack experience and pace, I am certainly confused on his acquisitions, did no one assess them before they signed.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

culmstockgull wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 19:27 So according to Johnson for eighty minutes we were second best so why were the subs not used a lot earlier, also Johnson says we gave it a go for the last ten minutes, could we not have done that in the first half. so we lack experience and pace, I am certainly confused on his acquisitions, did no one assess them before they signed.
maybe he's mystified as to why it takes the team that long to get going. You'd have to assume that Johnson sends them out with instruction to 'get into them' and for whatever reason, they're unable to.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I see today Johnson is saying that he is fighting non league stigma in bringing new players in, he doesnt want old timers in their last season or youngsters with no experience so the availability pot has already shrunk considerably, If i remember rightly didnt a certain Bournemouth centre half and a Plymouth midfielder turn out to be our star performers last season and neither of them had experience. So what has changed since last season other than an indiffferent start, the likes of Plymouth, Sunderland and Bournemouth seem reluctant to let us have any of their development players, he reckons agents dont want their players in the non league,I reckon that would change overnight if he opened the squad wallet.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Didn't Johnson have a player in his mid twenties whom he released. When commenting on this player last season he stated that when he was on form he was "above this level".

So this player was a decent age, had previously scored goals at this level, and is now scoring even more goals at another club. Johnson replaced him with Lolos who has no experience whatsoever, so I am not sure what players he does actually want?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

culmstockgull wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 19:39 If i remember rightly didnt a certain Bournemouth centre half and a Plymouth midfielder turn out to be our star performers last season and neither of them had experience.
Rob Street
Max Sheaf
Louis Tomlinson

All 3 of these were - and let's be fair - sodding useless. We got *very* lucky with Randell and Sherring last season, I don't know if even Johnson really expected them to be basically ever presents. Expecting to get that again is asking a lot.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

In all fairness Sherring already had experience at Weymouth where he had done well.

I think we've missed these loanees more than our own players who went elsewhere. Randell's hardly had any game time at Plymouth where he has mostly warmed the bench.

If you put Randell and Sherring in our team we would be top half.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams

Post by Eirik »

Damn the Boreham Wood player went down easily for the penalty. Lewis never should have put his hand on his shoulder but...
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/