Chesterfield v Torquay United 25/09/21

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Fair comment Brucie they were a bit crap for a top of the table side. Still believe half of our young newbies may come good (Lolos and O’Connell) but it might just be a rebuilding season
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I agree with Cockney, we can't have 4 'good prospects' in the side together , and we wouldn't if CLE , Lapslie and Addai were fully fit.
I don't think Gary is backtracking Culmstock
he can't change the team overnight, I am sure others players will be coming in to replace those not up to the level
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Fully agree about experience versus the good prospects. In the last 15 minutes we showed what we could do by keeping the ball to feet instead of knocking it over the forwards heads, and we even had a delivery to the near post causing the havoc for an equaliser.. no wonder Chesterfield were surprised!
The trouble with having tall striker(s) is that there is a tendency to overplay to the heads; Tshimanga was a class above with his movement off his marker, his speed and instinct, hence always able to make room for himself and to cause a threat or bring others into play.
But well done the lads for hanging in there and getting a result. As for conceding the first goal, the hard low cross should not have been allowed to be delivered, and our keeper just had to go for it at full stretch. Even just before our equalising corner we had a good shout for a penalty - what would the ref have given if the home side with 5000 fans screaming were appealing for a pen?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 20:29 What the hell is wrong with some people leaving ridiculous comments about our goalkeeper. What's Mcdonald supposed to do when a player shoots from a few yards out, catch the bloody thing. Mcdonald did exactly what he is paid to do, stop goalbouund shots. It's the fault of the defenders in not dealing with the rebounds, on both Chesterfields goals we had 4 defenders stood watching whist the only person to react was Tshinanga. You keeper bashers should stop blaming the goalkeeper over defensive errors.
I thought the game changed when Holman came on and over the 90 minutes I think we well deserved a point. In my opinion as the team starts to gel, a top 7 finish is well within our reach.
Over the full 90 minutes it was hard to tell which side were the league leaders and which team had struggled thus far
Agree with this apart from the top 7 finish - at the moment anyway.
Thought that they were average tbh.....
Those pointing the finger at Mc have - I suspect - never played in goal.
Their players were quicker to the ball and it ended up in the net.
Good to see the subs making a difference when they came on.
Think in the end we deserved a point, although it would be nice to score a bit earlier and not always in Gary Time! :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Good to see fight and playing to the final whistle.

Yes, we have players that probably are out of their depth, but we fought last night and deserved a result. I’m glad we did and getting such a last minute goal will have pumped up the lads,

Hopefully we are turning the corner….

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

When Lapslie puts the ball in the back of the net with his hip with 95 mins and 19 seconds on the clock to take a well earned point! All our brilliant fans behind the goal ecstatic! what a game! Well played lads and well done our fans! Awesome!
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Wtf does that umbongo tshmongo think he his running to Macdonald and fronting him! Should have swung at him super Mac!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Kabongo Tshimanga to be respectful to fine player. I believe Shuan Mcdonald hid the ball up his Jersey
Formerly known as forevertufc
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Hid the ball? Big deal, are you sure it had nothing to do with the fact that we’d just wiped out his two goal hero status! He was looking for a reason to kick off.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yeah probably threw his toys out the pram because our two goals took the focus away from him. To be honest I don't think he is that special either - probably hasn't played above National League level for a reason.
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

brucie wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 22:17 Yeah probably threw his toys out the pram because our two goals took the focus away from him. To be honest I don't think he is that special either - probably hasn't played above National League level for a reason.
Yes he's utter rubbish, 9 goals in 8 games. Whereas our strike force ..
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Nice one, old pedant. 1-0 to you!
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

forevertufc wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 17:40 Kabongo Tshimanga to be respectful to fine player. I believe Shuan Mcdonald hid the ball up his Jersey
No worse than the Chesterfield player who ran the clock down by asking for a magic towel at each throw in. The wiping took much longer after they went two up.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I thought Chesterfield were more than a little arrogant in their antics. Got Johnson booked, continually in the referees ear throughout, making a meal of the ball wiping etc , playing to their crowd, all those antics at the end. They will win nothing if they play through games like that. It all contributed to the way they lost their way.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Where did I say he was utter rubbish, fool?

He cost 200k so you would expect him to be banging in a few goals - He's got one more than Waters who we gave away for free. He's an in form striker and both fell quite nicely for him.

Goalscorers are normally in high demand so if he was that good you have to wonder why he ended up at Chesterfield rather than a league club ( or indeed why he has been bumming around a succession of NLS clubs before scoring a few for Boreham Wood)

I guess the answer is that parts of his game are fairly limited - other than a couple of tap ins he hardly ran us ragged, in fact he didn't do much of anything really. He scored two but so did we so he hardly produced a performance that blew us out the water.