Torquay United v Southend United Sat 18 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Johnson has persisted with Wright for some time now. At 37 years old its getting harder to stay fit and recover. So with Holman as well I can see the leagues defenders really quaking in their boots at that partnership.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 09:26 Are you seriously suggesting that Waters wouldn't be doing better than Holman if he was still here?

Yes Waters could consider himself unlucky to have been released, but the issue is what you replace him with? - if you get in someone comparable or better then fair enough. If you replace him with someone who is older, slower and has been out of the game then you have got to wonder. At least Holman is consistent - he couldn't score for Brackley and can't score for us.

As both Waters and Umerah have scored individually more goals than our entire forward line put together it doesn't really look that great.

And its just not that their scoring goals, they are good goals as well. I think saying that they are playing for lesser clubs is a weak excuse as well.

Perhaps their respective managers are getting more out of the players than Johnson did.
Ah, brucie. Brucie, brucie, brucie. You remain yet again undefeated in the spheres of wanton misanthropy, pessimism and idle idiocy.

We don't know what Waters would doing if he was here. I said that before. But I don't think he'd be doing as well as at Halifax, because we have 5 or 6 new players that we're trying to integrate into the side. It's been poor so far, but there are signs of recovery. While Holman has not scored, I think he's been ok to date, although I don't think we'll see him and Wright start together (Wright, incidentally, only has one goal so far).

I still think Holman will chip in with 10 goals this season, and I also think that Waters' will not continue on this streak (6 in 7? not sustainable). Small sample sizes always throw up unexpected results - Waters is not going to score 37 goals this year!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

It’s one thing carping away Brucie, another actually doing anything vaguely positive. So we have two older aged forwards who aren’t scoring at the moment. And some forwards we had last year who are. Is that enough to sack a manager who overall has been one of our more successful ones?. If so, apart from a casual remark about the Weymouth guy, who are no longer winning, who are you touting to take over.. .? Truth is it’s very easy to make cheap shots from Bideford about supposed poor management another to actually even suggest, let alone undertake, the alternative way forward.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Dazza wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 20:14 It’s one thing carping away Brucie, another actually doing anything vaguely positive. So we have two older aged forwards who aren’t scoring at the moment. And some forwards we had last year who are.Is that enough to sack a manager who overall has been one of our more successful ones?. If so, apart from a casual remark about the Weymouth guy, who are no longer winning, who are you touting to take over.. .? Truth is it’s very easy to make cheap shots from Bideford about supposed poor management another to actually even suggest, let alone undertake, the alternative way forward.
Sorry, but where in Brucie's original post did he say Johnson should be sacked? He's simply pointing out that the recruitment this summer leaves something to be desired and he is right.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

When you start canvassing other managers publicly what else are you suggesting!
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

As there`s no separate thread for Tony Scott I`ll comment here. Very sad to learn of his passing. I saw him play many times in the late 60`s in what for me will always be the "golden" era. He was exciting to watch, able to glide past opponents and his cross with the outside of his boot was a thing of beauty.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with Lanson Gull.