Maidenhead United v Torquay United Sat 4 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Despite the three points, the second half should sound the alarm bells, that we are not good enough. What the hell went on in the second half?
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Basically their two strikers were bigger than our two centre backs sort of summed up the second half.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Jesus wept, the way some of you people carry on you would think we had lost today. Ffs, we won away 4-3, I’d have taken that at 1500. The team suffered some defensive lapses in the second half and then did the right thing by slowing things down to get 3 points. Some days I **** despair of some Torquay fans, always looking for the negative and never, ever the positive.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well when I started this post at 2pm today I did say I hoped for a reaction from the whole squad after the Woking debacle.

Well in my wildest dreams I did not expect Maidenhead 0 Torquay 4 at Half Time. It did remind me of a Tuesday Evening Match at Plainmoor about 4/5 years ago when the Maidenhead Coach was late arriving and United led 4-0 at Half Time.

I am so pleased for Gary and the whole team and in a very high scoring day it shows predicting results in the National League is impossible.

What today proves is whatever our defensive weaknesses Gary has a bunch of lads who will give everything and we the fans must get behind the team .

I could hear the Yellow Army on Radio Devon loud and clear even if the Commentators seemed very reluctant to say what the score was from the 78th minute to the 90th minute.

COYY
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Would we have taken a 1-0 win, yes we would but to win 4-3 after being 4 nil up does not inspire confidence in the team. We now have the 3rd worst defence in the league and that, I think, needs addressing. Unfortunately, as big a unit as he is, I don’t see Omir as a replacement for what we lost and he is a liability. The positive for me was Armani Little, hopefully that performance will give him more confidence going forward. We can still have a good season but for me we have to address the defensive weakness.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

We played very well in the first half. Some good creative moves which was a big improvement.
They were the better team for 25 minutes in the second but we could well have scored a fifth.
Slowed the game down and some excellent last ditch defending but we deserved the win.
Lucky that Asa wasn't sent off as the ref went for his yellow card then changed his mind, presumably realising he'd already been booked. Maidenhead players not happy and a wise decision to substitute him.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

The final scoreline didn’t particularly spell champions in waiting but the game was all about 3 points. Happy with the result and progress of the team yesterday. A lot of positives to build on, but also still plenty to improve. Yesterdays display gave cause for optimism. There is no better manager than Gary Johnson to refresh the team and go again.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

We played really well in the first half as the scoreline suggests. The midfield four were experienced at this level and it showed. All were outstanding. We defended well against a very direct attack with too big strikers who were always going to cause problems as proved in the second half. Wright and Holman put in a shift and held the ball up well. Pleased for Little scoring two and playing really well. Sure his Dad was stood by me so perhaps he should come every week!! We did dodge a bullet at 4-2 when the ref clearly reached for his pocket after a late tackle from Hall but changed his mind when he realised it would lead to a red. GJ rightly made the change after that. Hall was outstanding in the middle. First win so onwards and upwards!!
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by yellowmonkey »

What are the issues that need addressing? Why are Andrews and several other key players not getting game time?
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

yellowmonkey wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 13:54 What are the issues that need addressing? Why are Andrews and several other key players not getting game time?
Which other ‘key players’ do you have in mind? I thought Andrew’s has been unwell.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

forevertufc wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 15:28 Little had never gone anywhere, some of have been trying to get that point across.There hasn't been a scientific breakthrough allowing pork to be educated.
He had gone into a shadow of what we had seen before and his performances in the 2 home games of the season so far have not been good enough, its quite simple. Im not interested in agendas others may have but rightly he drew criticism for 2 poor performances and rightly he should be praised for his stellar performance yesterday.

I sincerely hope he builds on yesterday and we see a more consistent Little over the rest of the season.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

yellowmonkey wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 13:54 What are the issues that need addressing? Why are Andrews and several other key players not getting game time?
Please list the "key players".....

Andrews has been ill
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by yellowmonkey »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 15:47 Please list the "key players".....

Andrews has been ill
Note to self don't post after consuming too much alcohol, I just meant Andrews.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by CourtierGull »

Some brilliant saves by Halstead in there, what an excellent first half but after watching the highlights I can’t help but feel we got very lucky to leave there with all 3 points.

1st half proves that when we play our game, we’re untouchable (hence the 4 goals without reply) but as soon as teams realise we’re easily bullied it can go tits up.

Delighted for Little, took his 2 goals well but 2 more assists on top of that, hopefully that helps his confidence but also goes to show, he’s much more effective further up the pitch.

Let’s hope we build on this, we could definitely do with a new face or 2 but it’s not all doom and gloom.