Torquay United v Altrincham Sat 21 August KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

I was at the game yesterday with my kids, my first in a number of years as I’ve recently moved back to the area. I haven’t seen much of the side for a number of years due to work and living away etc.

A few things really stood out to me. I couldn’t understand the tactics.

I don’t remember either full back getting forward and overlapping/making a cross. Is this normal under gJ? Full backs are now attacking players in modern football and this contributed to a complete lack of width. On the rare occasion the team strung a couple of passes together they started to look like they might create something but we’re crying out for some wide players.

Anyone could see after the first 5 minutes long ball was not going to work. Their CB’s were very physical and it played into their hands. 3-5-2 formation may have been better. Long ball was never going to work against the defence.

There was also a real lack of intensity. Everything was slow. I know the ref didn’t help but throw ins, free kicks, etc took so long it was so frustrating to watch. Again just played into their hands!

Only positive for me was Omar. The guy is an absolute unit and has a decent left foot. As I said have seen very little of the side in the last few years but I would be really concerned for the season.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

culmstockgull wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 20:46 notnow, I went to three of the pre season matches, Poole and Tiverton were nothing more than fitness improvers against very average opponents, against Plymouth as you woud expect they taught us a lesson in footballing terms. Not sure what that has to do with today, ironing our problems and learning tactics is what friendlies are for, if you sign a player close season its because hopefully you've done your homework, and you think they will add something to the team, in that case they should play in all the games so that they can gel with the existing players, we didnt and waiting to the opening game to see f they can follow a plan is a bit late in the day.
for whatever reasons CLE JA and AH were not fully available, we had 50% of the team who were newbies and had not played in anger, they had a pressure on them to perform to a standard previously set, no doubt GJ will bring it out of them which we all know he can and will do. Maybe if the aforementioned players were fully fit and available then the majority of the team would have resembled a settled in and confident side which perhaps would have made the difference.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think Altrincham had alot of players out injured and it didn't stop them. Sounds like a weak excuse to me. We were playing a part time team.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

You think or know? Just for clarification, if so then it does weeken the “excuse” although I would rather call it reasons, simply because GJ’s record stands for itself. Right?
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

The season tickets, we purchased and the trouble collecting them, compounded by no team sheets and petty beaurocracy was bad enough without a p*ss poor performance. It is meant to be an enjoyable experience.

There was no one putting in a MoM performance. Asa Hall look the best when he came on. The rest forget!

The keeper wad left exposed for first two goals, not his fault. The 16 made a school boy error allowing forward inside to cross. He should have been subbed there and then, he looked out of his depth at this level.

The 4 was lightweight, eventually GJ did hoik both off but far too late, the horse had bolted!

Wright was leading with his arm for most tackles and is a red card waiting to happen. He got injured through his own stupidity.

On another day and with a stronger referee, Lewis may also of seen red for some of his challenges, especially early in the game.

Things can only improve....we hope.
Prediction for Saturday?......does not bear thinking about.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Not sure how anyone can point fingers toward the GK as some on here have alluded to. None of the 3 were his fault. I just cant understand why we were soooooo narrow the entire afternoon. Anyway, doesnt do any harm to get a real kick up the arse this early.
TUST #324
rivieratouch
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rivieratouch »

Halstead for me at least, did OK. Not at fault for the goals and was let down by some poor or naive defending. He did flap at a couple of crosses but did OK in the main. We will get better of that I have no doubt, and when the the team clicks and the first 11 is more settled, I believe we will be in and around the fun zone at the business end of the season. GJ will get it right, and it's way too early to be getting down and depressed after one defeat. Keep the faith and trust that the squad will get it right
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

numpte wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 14:07 Not sure how anyone can point fingers toward the GK as some on here have alluded to. None of the 3 were his fault. I just cant understand why we were soooooo narrow the entire afternoon. Anyway, doesnt do any harm to get a real kick up the arse this early.
i dont think narrow is the right word - unbalanced for me

4-4-2 usually works best with 2 wingers

We had O'connell who you would describe as an out an out winger but then G.Rogers on the other who is not a winger but plays a very free role

Last year when both were available having Nemane and Whitfield meant we had threat on both wings
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 20:03 i dont think narrow is the right word - unbalanced for me

4-4-2 usually works best with 2 wingers

We had O'connell who you would describe as an out an out winger but then G.Rogers on the other who is not a winger but plays a very free role

Last year when both were available having Nemane and Whitfield meant we had threat on both wings
If as you state the team lacks balance this normally means their functional teams roles were not defined clearly. Resulting in too many players with the same role or the players differ too much, this dynamic can lead to misunderstanding amongst the team .

As you describe it, it was down to wingers, so if one was a winger are you putting all the blame of the team mis-balance on G Rogers?

For me the whole team were out of sorts! GJ needs quickly to get the team chemistry back in balance
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Having seen Rogers several times I agree he is not a natural winger, his role is far more suited to the one Johnson persists , worngly in my book of playing CLE as a false no 9 ,Rogers can roam across the edge of the box waiting for his powerful feet to come into play, CLE looks far more comfortable and assured as a midfielder and playing alongside Lapslie instead of little, primarily becuase I think CLE is a more intelligent footballer and can adapt quicker, and I do agree the team was out of sorts, not match ready is how I see it.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest