Expectations

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

rivieratouch wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 17:34 Can either of our new goalkeepers replace Lucas Covolan ?.
Both are better than Covolan.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Can not wait for the season to start. What ever comes around for us this season it’s just great to get back to watching TUFC at Plainmoor. Come on you Yellows. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 15:09 Both are better than Covolan.
Totally agree SuperNickywroe,
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Hope you're right - but interesting that anyone can say that without having seen them play for us under the pressure of a league game.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

My expectation for the season is only needing ONE pair of lucky pants & lucky socks. Then promotion is a cert :lol:
TUST member 200 ;-)
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Desperado totally right, of course.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I remember a time - a fair way back - when TU fans did not really have any real expectations other than hope and dreams of glory,. We just went, we witnessed whatever happened and then returned home again, happy, annoyed or bored.

If we have little or no expectations for the season ahead, we will never be disappointed, but we do stand a chance of being pleasantly surprised which is a happier way to live our football lives instead of forever feeling the club isn’t meeting our expectations.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Expectations of a Division 3 relegation scrap and hoping someone in the Conference went bust so there was no relegation from the league. Happy days.
Gull1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gull1899 »

I’d say play offs is reasonable expectations every year in this league, & I think it’s a half decent squad we have so who knows! The boys were so close last year where only ab awful injury situation meant we came 2nd rather than 1st in my eyes so I’m quietly confident
Gull1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gull1899 »

MellowYellow wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 12:26 I remember a time - a fair way back - when TU fans did not really have any real expectations other than hope and dreams of glory,. We just went, we witnessed whatever happened and then returned home again, happy, annoyed or bored.

If we have little or no expectations for the season ahead, we will never be disappointed, but we do stand a chance of being pleasantly surprised which is a happier way to live our football lives instead of forever feeling the club isn’t meeting our expectations.
That’s not a bad attitude to have as a fan, & to some extent I agree- As long as the players/Manager & club do their all I can be content how the cards fall in a season.

But as a club the expectations have to be to improve every season & to be the best we can be so I hope their aiming for promotion & eventually League 1 & one day (call me crazy if you like!) but the Championship too. Plenty of smaller teams have reached that level so why not us, & being in the southwest on the English Riviera I feel like we could carve a niche in a higher league
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Gull1899 wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 16:23 That’s not a bad attitude to have as a fan, & to some extent I agree- As long as the players/Manager & club do their all I can be content how the cards fall in a season.

But as a club the expectations have to be to improve every season & to be the best we can be so I hope their aiming for promotion & eventually League 1 & one day (call me crazy if you like!) but the Championship too. Plenty of smaller teams have reached that level so why not us, & being in the southwest on the English Riviera I feel like we could carve a niche in a higher league
I totally agree the clubs expectations should be to improve every season but I was looking at it from a fans perspective. In todays modern game fans have a tendency to see football almost entirely through a financial lens i.e. big spenders higher up the league than lower spenders and get dragged into superiority of wealth and thus expectations. If fans wholly define their player’s quality by the size of their transfer fee or wages then many fans at some clubs are going to be throughly disappointed e.g . Stockport, Notts, Chesterfield and Wrexham. At the end of the season I predict this pressure of expectation to have serious economic repercussions for some of these clubs.

Thats why I say hats off to Sutton fans and their part-time club (albeit the Bar Manager is full-time). They had no automatic promotion expectations last season but were pleasantly surprised to win the league. Fantastic, no expectations by the fans, no demands to spend more or the owners to break the bank to try and reach the land of milk and honey. Nice to see a clubs fans expecting little and just hoping for the best has not gone out of fashion.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 21 Aug 2021, 00:56, edited 2 times in total.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Absolutely no expectations whatsoever. We punched well above our weight last season and got lucky on many occasion. The injury situation was unfortunate but it seems to happen to us a lot. Two years running we had 10+ players laid up. From the moment Matt Buse missed his penalty in the PO final I had a feeling of dread that our chance has gone, can't see us ever getting out of this league, we gave ourselves a golden chance and blew it. We won't be among the top boys this season I fear. Hope im proved wrong. Pessimistic I know but that's what 34 years of supporting TUFC will do to you.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gull1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gull1899 »

Saying we ‘blew it’ is a bit strong, i firmly believe it was just the awful injury list we had stopped us winning the league & then we were just unlucky in the final.

Looks like our signings aren’t too bad so hopefully if we have a much injury free season & good loans we can do at offs or more again
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

For whatever reason we are under the radar this season which is great. Stockport, Notts, Wrexham, Chesterfield have all previously gone into or near administration and it seems haven’t learned the lessons of the past. Only 2 will go which Will crucify those that don’t. Paying a Mullen £5.5k a week will not get you promotion. Likewise the money Stockport are throwing about. We just have to hope like Sutton did last season we remain a tight group and injury free, as the latter cost us promotion. In Johnson we trust, exciting the squad has not 1 loan signing
Lucy
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

I think we'll finish in the top 8, and give ourselves a shot with the playoffs. Omar and Holman are really intriguing signings, and hopefully will prove masterstrokes. Lapslie seems as solid and dependable midfielder as we could've hoped to sign. I imagine today's starting XI will be:

Halstead
Wynter Lewis Omar Moxey
Little Lapslie Andrews
Holman Wright CLE

A solid team with goalscorers in it. One concern is a definite lack of pace. In Nemane and Whitfield, we have lost that dimension, and Randell also dribbled well (see Wright's 2nd vs Notts County). It'll also be interesting to see how long Moxey keeps Martin out the starting line up. Pointing out the obvious, we also need another central defender to deputise/challenge Lewis and Omar.