Transfer talk.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I understand money talks - but it's Mullins audacity in saying the 'ambition' of the club attracted him when it is clear as a player he has no ambition to drop two leagues to play non-league football. Cambridge fans must be beside themselves with anger, as they appear to have more ambition than Wrexham, particularly following their promotion to a League One.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Nicky Maynard set to be one of the trialist tomorrow
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Good quality player - surprised he not been snapped up by a club yet - not sure he has anything to prove as a trialist.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

See Exeter are set to pick up yet another million quid plus for a young player -Josh Key, why can't we do this sort of business !? Our youth players get contracts then get released or are ones for the future and never seem to break into the first team !
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

You ask the question - why can’t we develop players like Josh Key and sell them on for £1 million +?

Take a look at his Wikipedia page ! Went to Cuthbert Mayne school and was with the TUFC academy until it was closed down in 2015 ….. then joined Exeter.

Yet another one we missed out on! The talent is out there … Kieffer Moore, Ollie Watkins, Callum Morton - all Torquay lads - it’s just we never seem to benefit from them. Frustrating to say the least!
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by smw1989 »

Matt Jay (not as good) but scored 18 league goals last season also born in Torbay… Tbf we have a hot bed for talent down here but we never see a player as an asset and we always loose players to free transfers. I have said that if I won the lottery and purchased Torquay then I would want to run a model where every player would be seen as an asset and we would command fees and not rollover like we always seem to do, for that to happen we would need to be fan run or atleest have an owner who is here for the longevity of a project.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

desperado wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 07:25 See Exeter are set to pick up yet another million quid plus for a young player -Josh Key, why can't we do this sort of business !? Our youth players get contracts then get released or are ones for the future and never seem to break into the first team !
Desperado. We can't do business like this because: 1. We don't have an academy. 2. The current youth set is abysmal. The standard of coaching is third rate. 3. Because if thus, we keep loosing our better players to saints Southwest, Exeter and Plymouth.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Willowgull wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 13:19 Desperado. We can't do business like this because: 1. We don't have an academy. 2. The current youth set is abysmal. The standard of coaching is third rate. 3. Because if thus, we keep loosing our better players to saints Southwest, Exeter and Plymouth.
.....But apart from that....... :} :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I think its being a bit unfair to criticise our youth system too much, its a national league set up with very little funding from the club or the National league compared with say Exeter who get a six figure contribtion from the FA towards running a full fledged academy.
Exeter additionally spend considerable sums of there own money supplemeting the FA cash with a long term objective of mega transfers on the brightest and best, and you have to say it has been very successful. Probably the only part of the club that can show a profit.
We struggle to produce a player worthy of regular first team football, but developing young players is not an overnight concept, better coaches, better facilities and keeping the local players are all part of the problem, if your son was offered a place at Torquay or the Exeter set up, who would you steer him towards, as the Exeter coach, once I had shown you the amazing facilities all I need say is look at who we have developed and where some of them are now and how much they are earning, sign here pleae.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

I was just pointing out why we aren't developing players. Your right, until we are back in the football league there is little chance. We won't attract the better coaches paying peanuts.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

smw1989 wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 12:19 ... we never see a player as an asset and we always loose players to free transfers. I have said that if I won the lottery and purchased Torquay then I would want to run a model where every player would be seen as an asset and we would command fees and not rollover like we always seem to do,
All players are assets when they are under contract. The reason we lose players to free transfers is because they will not renew when offered a new contract. You can't force a player to sign a contract if they don't want to, the only way to get players to sign is to offer what other clubs can't , but there are always going to be clubs who can offer more than us.
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by smw1989 »

Sherring not in Bournemouth match day squad tonight
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

smw1989 wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 19:37 Sherring not in Bournemouth match day squad tonight
I'm sure I read somewhere that he's injured
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

No CLE again. Hopefully he's just injured but if we do get a considerable offer from someone I personally wouldn't begrudge the club cashing in. As sad as it is, with players on short contracts, the chances of selling are increasingly small these days and we have to accept the club needs the money. He'd be off on a free end of season anyway.

Would really hope it would be to a league club although it seems more likely a NL club would have the cash at the moment!

As long as we have Gary in charge I'm more than happy he'll uncover able replacements.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I've heard its a covid issue, but not certain on that.