Transfer talk.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by smw1989 »

Maybe Johnson has COVID?
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Relax! Gary announced 2 of our best players last year an hour before kick off! He will have a plan, plenty of time!
jamestee67
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by jamestee67 »

knightmaregull wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 19:46 Relax! Gary announced 2 of our best players last year an hour before kick off! He will have a plan, plenty of time!
Agreed. Sometimes, they say never go back. How many players have Torquay had on loan that we begged to sign. Torquay did, then said player never regained previous quality.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

smw1989 wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 15:04 Jamie Reid sold to Stevenage
Well that puts an end to that rumour mongering - next!

Here's one for fun - Aramide Jay Oteh - place your bets.
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by smw1989 »

MellowYellow wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 20:45 Well that puts an end to that rumour mongering - next!

Here's one for fun - Aramide Jay Oteh - place your bets.
Sounds like a football manager signing….
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

smw1989 wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 15:04 Jamie Reid sold to Stevenage
Notice the word SOLD. Torquay would have given him away! :whistle:
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Just read an article on Devon live concerning an interview with Johnson on potential signings, he maintains that he has agreed terms with four players and if they turn up to Mondays training then he will sign them. This seems a weird way of doing business, have they not heard of having a contract couriered or electronically sent to potential signings. Besides in my book this fails the basic marketing test of a successful company, in this case the unique selling point is your players, if you wish people to invest in season tickets and merchandise and sponsorship etc etc, you announce your assets, they sell the product not a conversation with the manager.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

culmstockgull be honest what do you know about signing Football Players?

As much as I do which is diddly squat!

If Gary could have signed them he would. The players Agent has probably told his Player do not sign before 19th July in case another Club comes in with a better offer. You have to understand Gary has 30 plus years of understanding the Transfer Market in Football. What experience do you have?

I can make an educated guess that you have never been a Football Manager so who do I believe.

I think I will back Gary.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Little concerned about the degree of caution and no concrete news thus far. Even if four new players turn up on Monday, we would only have a total squad of fourteen. Given that we need two goalkeepers, we just have to hope the four keep their promises and that further signings, re-signings (Nemane) or loans can be secured for 2021/22. Thus far the optimism meter is reading mid-table at the best.
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by smw1989 »

Although i do find the time taken strange I am not personally worried, this year like the last has been unprecedented so I think that the thinking of the recruitment may be a little different to what we are use to. I imagine Gary is only targeting players that can improve us which I’m afraid takes time, we have history of signing some very good players last minute or even mid season the two that come to mind most recently have been joe Lewis and Ben Whitfield. I’m sure it would be very easy to go out and sign another Jared Lewington or a Matt Buse and I’m glad that we are setting our bar higher than that even if it means unveiling players last minute. We have already seen clubs resign players that they only released a couple of months ago and I think there will be a lot of players out there that will be hanging on to hope waiting on particular clubs as money this season will be more tighter than ever across the football pyramid so you can’t blame players for holding out waiting for the best offer. If we turned up to the game at Poole with 10 players contracted and the rest trialists atleest I know that the trialists will be of a good standard, not the standard Kevin Nicholson was relying on with local SDL players.

As always, in Gary we trust :scarf:
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Portogull, you are spot on , I know nothing about being a footie manager or signing players, but I have a fair degreee of experience in big business and marketing, when was the last time we paid hard cash for a player, yes, exactly, so logically we will only be signing free transfers or out of contract players, most contracts ended at the end of May or beginning of June, so can these players afford not to have any revenue coming in for six weeks , that just doesn't add up, if you are sold on Johnsons vision then logically you would sign straight away, so its either a question of the club not wanting to pay wages before a certain date while the player goes on holiday for three weeks at our expense, or more likely the proposed players have other irons in the fire.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

culmstockgull wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 15:57 Portogull, you are spot on , I know nothing about being a footie manager or signing players, but I have a fair degreee of experience in big business and marketing, when was the last time we paid hard cash for a player, yes, exactly, so logically we will only be signing free transfers or out of contract players, most contracts ended at the end of May or beginning of June, so can these players afford not to have any revenue coming in for six weeks , that just doesn't add up, if you are sold on Johnsons vision then logically you would sign straight away, so its either a question of the club not wanting to pay wages before a certain date while the player goes on holiday for three weeks at our expense, or more likely the proposed players have other irons in the fire.
We purchased CLE for an undisclosed fee from Bristol City in August 2020.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

culmstockgull wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 15:57 Portogull, you are spot on , I know nothing about being a footie manager or signing players, but I have a fair degreee of experience in big business and marketing, when was the last time we paid hard cash for a player, yes, exactly, so logically we will only be signing free transfers or out of contract players, most contracts ended at the end of May or beginning of June, so can these players afford not to have any revenue coming in for six weeks , that just doesn't add up, if you are sold on Johnsons vision then logically you would sign straight away, so its either a question of the club not wanting to pay wages before a certain date while the player goes on holiday for three weeks at our expense, or more likely the proposed players have other irons in the fire.
Being in "big business and marketing" is a lot different to being a football manager and a club and trying to sign players.
Contracts run until the 30th June and then players are released as free agents.
In my experience - its in the interest of the player - and not the club - to get something sorted out ASAP if they want a salary from July 1st, but some do wait till near the end of July to see what's on offer.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

We are a national league club & the players in our shopping basket are going to be promising youngsters, experienced pros or realists.
Get used to it , we ain't going to be spending mega cash on ' marque ' players at every turn.
As said before GJ is a past master at this & he has a set budget to work with, if the budget was shite then I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be here !
Titles are won in may just ask Sutton, playoffs are won on the last game of the season, just ask Hartlepool, all we need to do is stay in touch.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Teigngull wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 16:44 We are a national league club & the players in our shopping basket are going to be promising youngsters, experienced pros or trialists.
Get used to it , we ain't going to be spending mega cash on ' marque ' players at every turn.
As said before GJ is a past master at this & he has a set budget to work with, if the budget was shite then I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be here !
Titles are won in may just ask Sutton, playoffs are won on the last game of the season, just ask Hartlepool, all we need to do is stay in touch & see where that takes us, I dont buy into this nonsense you should be airing your washing in public.