Playoff Final Vs Hartlepool at Ashton Gate

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

The only thing that will bring it all back for me is watching Jeff Stelling every Saturday afternoon and no doubt telling us that his team are back in the league.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

frenchgull wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 18:13 The only thing that will bring it all back for me is watching Jeff Stelling every Saturday afternoon and no doubt telling us that his team are back in the league.
Just don’t watch him.

Can’t stand soccer Saturday.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Whydo - you say Lewis possibly fouled (pushed him) but that was nothing, even Adam Virgo said you can't give free kicks for that, far worse pushing, shoving, arm wrestling , holding goes on at every corner in every match and at that particular corner The ref gave the goal didn't he , the linesman must have flagged for the apparent slight push from 25 yards away
Yet the ref let far worse pushing go outside the box, he will get quite a reception if he officiates at Plainmoor next season.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

no chance seems that he has been [promoted to EFL
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Was the Ref a Northerner?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

From Yorkshire just up the road from hartlepool.
Hox_Ox2013
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Hox_Ox2013 »

I'm a pools fan, for the first time in my life I've been gutted for a losing side playing against us. You were a good side yesterday. I was at the game and obviously from my point of view it was amazing. But remember yous made it amazing. I love an away day down at torquay and hope to see yous in the football league soon where you belong. Good luck next season!!!
Ludlow Gulled
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Ludlow Gulled »

Too broken-hearted to rake over the ashes yesterday. But having now watched BT highlights, I’m not depressed anymore...I’m **** fuming! No need to go over the reasons as clearly voiced many times over here and elsewhere. What I’ve learned is that righteous indignation is a more invigorating and empowering emotion than sorrowful despair.

The nightmarish Kafka-esque paradox of it is not lost on me: you must get out of the National League to escape shit referees but you are rendered incapable of escape by a shit referee.

If it wasn’t so galling, it’d be funny.

But now it’s time to get back at it. Let the mighty Gulls soar high into the golden skies of the EFL while I dance the Covolan samba on the ashes of Mathers’ withering refereeing career. Let justice be done.

Do I sound annoyed?
monkeyhanger
New Signing
New Signing

Post by monkeyhanger »

Firstly I'd like to wish you the best of luck next season, got a great little team their and I'm sure if you keep most of the players and tighten up at the back a bit you can certainly win it.

My take on the game for what its worth, well it has to be one of the best lower league games I've ever witnessed, the atmosphere unreal. Now the disallowed goals, first one was a definite foul, stupid push by your lad on the back post, why he did it I don't know. The second one should of stood definitely, infact the one that was given was more of a foul than that one. We also had a blatant handball turned down in extra time, not sure where they get these referees from?

Don't let a few idiots at the end of the game tarnish the fans at pools the majority are actually decent, though a few torquay players probably didn't help taunting pools fans after the equaliser.

All in all a great occasion for both clubs im sure the hurt of losing in a cruel way will inspire you onto promotion.
monkeyhanger
New Signing
New Signing

Post by monkeyhanger »

brucie wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 23:20 Like most play off games the result turns on a few key moments.

Quite bizarre really that the Hartlepool keeper became the hero of the hour by being at fault for our goal, and being rescued by the referee when he was at fault again.

He never actually looked like he was going to save anything in the shoot out either and almost messed up the Buse save when he palmed it onto the underside of the bar. Couldn't believe it actually stayed out either - but that just about summed up our day.

Heart breaking to lose with so much riding on it. Not really too bothered about the Hartlepool fans - let them gloat, just ignore it and laugh when they are bottom of the league next season.
I highly doubt we will be bottom of the league next season, we have a great manager and a pretty decent team, won the most points out of any team against top 7, beat in form Bromley, won at Stockport and then beat what was arguably the best team in the league for 3 month or so to win the play offs.
Pooliephil
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Pooliephil »

Just a quick question everyone, who played the ball back in to box for covolan's goal?
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Pooliephil wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 16:18 Just a quick question everyone, who played the ball back in to box for covolan's goal?
Armani Little
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

monkeyhanger wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 15:21 Firstly I'd like to wish you the best of luck next season, got a great little team their and I'm sure if you keep most of the players and tighten up at the back a bit you can certainly win it.

My take on the game for what its worth, well it has to be one of the best lower league games I've ever witnessed, the atmosphere unreal. Now the disallowed goals, first one was a definite foul, stupid push by your lad on the back post, why he did it I don't know. The second one should of stood definitely, infact the one that was given was more of a foul than that one. We also had a blatant handball turned down in extra time, not sure where they get these referees from?

Don't let a few idiots at the end of the game tarnish the fans at pools the majority are actually decent, though a few torquay players probably didn't help taunting pools fans after the equaliser.

All in all a great occasion for both clubs im sure the hurt of losing in a cruel way will inspire you onto promotion.
if you honestly think thats a foul a game of football would last half a day with all the added time time for the stoppages in play
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Have just watched the official Vanarama highlights and have to say that it confirmed what I thought at the time - a brilliant, brilliant match. Such drama.

It also gives me pause for thought in relation to Little's contribution. I had been critical of him in recent games and didn't appreciate how good he was on Sunday whilst watching the game live. He was everywhere and running the midfield for much of the game - for me he pushes Covalan close for MOTM. Perhaps Armstrong was also a contender for Hartlepool but for me these two were heads and shoulders over the rest of the field.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
monkeyhanger
New Signing
New Signing

Post by monkeyhanger »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 16:31 if you honestly think thats a foul a game of football would last half a day with all the added time time for the stoppages in play
Why did he even give the referee the chance to disallow it? I agree football has gone soft but if var was their they would also have disallowed it.