Playoff Final Vs Hartlepool at Ashton Gate

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Like most play off games the result turns on a few key moments.

Quite bizarre really that the Hartlepool keeper became the hero of the hour by being at fault for our goal, and being rescued by the referee when he was at fault again.

He never actually looked like he was going to save anything in the shoot out either and almost messed up the Buse save when he palmed it onto the underside of the bar. Couldn't believe it actually stayed out either - but that just about summed up our day.

Heart breaking to lose with so much riding on it. Not really too bothered about the Hartlepool fans - let them gloat, just ignore it and laugh when they are bottom of the league next season.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Just watched both disallowed goals back on BT Sport app. What horrendous decisions. First one you literally can't see any infringement in normal speed. In slow mo Lewis braces himself by putting his hands in the lower back of their number 11, who was running alongside Cameron. But it wasn't a push, it was more of when you brace yourself as not to collide with someone. Unless you run towards an opponent now with your hands flat by your sides and just take a hit?!
But the second one - oh my god - the worst decision of the two. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Great leap from Cameron and keeper, who didn't look particularly tall anyway, doesn't get anywhere near it.
The first one I could maybe give the referee the benefit of the doubt but not that second disallowed goal. Such woeful refereeing.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You couldn't really make up that at least one of those two disallowed goals wouldn't have stood.

I wouldn't bet that the first goal was even disallowed for the push by Lewis, and wasn't given for offside. With so much at stake it is ludicrous that VAR isn't used for the play off finals.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

brucie wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 10:05 You couldn't really make up that at least one of those two disallowed goals wouldn't have stood.

I wouldn't bet that the first goal was even disallowed for the push by Lewis, and wasn't given for offside. With so much at stake it is ludicrous that VAR isn't used for the play off finals.
Certainly, Radio Devon thought that the first goal had been (erroneously) ruled offside. Someone went back and looked at it a few times and they came back on air a few minutes later and said they couldn't see anything wrong with it.
TUST member 203
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Apparently Gary Johnson has asked the referee for an explanation for disallowing the 2 goals. Don’t hold your breath Gary they are hardly ever honest and admit to their mistakes!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Gutted.
Well played to everyone and GJ and the staff.
I watched in a pub in Dirty Leeds and the pub regulars even the dirty Leeds fans - were TUFC for the day.
When you have neutrals questioning refereeing decisions, you know something is amiss.
He never gave us anything all afternoon.
Hard to watch those pens. We only needed either of Waters of Wright to score to win.
Felt for Matt Buse.
Having £20 on them to get relegated back down.
Anyway.
Onwards & Upwards.
Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

DWB wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 10:16 Apparently Gary Johnson has asked the referee for an explanation for disallowing the 2 goals. Don’t hold your breath Gary they are hardly ever honest and admit to their mistakes!
More chance of plaiting sh*t.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Well the dust has settled and I accept that the luck was just not with us yesterday, no doubt we had the best team ,if all available, in the league but it is what it is. It's been a very enjoyable season and my thanks to players ,staff and management ,let's be honest we all have experienced seasons we would like to forget.I hope that G J gets the help from the owners to go again.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I think I feel even worse today - especially after seeing those two disallowed headers
Absolutely robbed of two goals . Even the penalty shout wasnt clear, if Evans dived why didn't the ref book him ? We couldn't have given any more , just not our day
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 23:19 In saying that this NL is so bloody tough. 4 go down top 7 in playoffs only two go up. Got to be the hardest of all divisions to get out of. Some really big teams in this div now!
True, although I've said before - and it's probably been said again here - that we'll be in this division next season not because of the unfortunate penalties, or even because of a useless referee. It's losing twice to Dagenham, getting hammered by Maidenhead, and only take one point from six out of altrincham. It was that ruin in January - March where we were out on our arses. It's Wright, Whitfield, Nemane, Cameron and others missing large parts of the season through injury.

Look at our record up until Christmas. Something to behold, I think it was 31 points from 36? that's incredible stuff, and we were clearly the best team in the division. Of course, its a marathon not a sprint, and you have to say Well done (grudgingly) to Sutton for grinding it out, but had we had even a bit of luck with injuries, we win the division with games to go.

Oh well. We'll be back. I hope Johnson is able to keep the majority of the squad together. Obviously we'll see a few leave; Randall won't be loaned out again (I think he'll start Argyle's first game), Whitfield could be off, as well a couple of 'fringe' players. But I hope that players want to stick around and complete the job. I could maybe see Sherring come back next season, although if he doesn't, that's really ok because we have Cameron and Lewis as our centre-halves.

I felt sick pretty much all day yesterday, but today I've woken up feeling a bit more positive about things - and we have the right man in charge.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

desperado wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 13:10 I think I feel even worse today - especially after seeing those two disallowed headers
Absolutely robbed of two goals . Even the penalty shout wasnt clear, if Evans dived why didn't the ref book him ? We couldn't have given any more , just not our day
I did feel the same as you, Desperado, and they should have had a man sent off for trying to put Moxey either in hospital or in the upper tier with me but I've just read Clark Osborne's message to the fans and that now gives me renewed optimism.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'd actually forgotten about the challenge on Moxey. Yes that was a red card all day long.

Their centre half could well have got a second yellow when he pulled back Little - in fact I think that Little should have gone down.

After the first disallowed goal you just had the feeling that the referee was not going to give us anything and boy he managed that bigtime. Still as pissed off as I was at the end of the match.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Absolutely gutted we lost that yesterday, Was behind the goal and couldnt believe that the ref cancelled the goal. For the first having seen it again poosibly Lewis fouled the defender. Hartlepool shaded the first half and Cov made a good save just before half time. Second half we were virtually all over them and apart from Camerons diallowed goal Billy Waters awful miss was costly two. Thats 2-1 to us and gameover. Penalties are often a farce and Wright and Waters should have scored 2 nil up in the shoot out as well, Moxey and Andrews would have taken them too.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

just a few observations
why did the management team wait so long to make a change
Why did Wright play for so long when he was clearly out on his feet
why did GJ not get Jake off quicker when it was clear he couldn't play on.It just gave the Pool time to regroup and get their game together
Why did Buse take that penalty when more experienced players were available
why is that ref still on the list
just a few random thoughts
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Forget it, hard but not impossible don’t give em the pleasure

They can take away league football
They can take away goals
They can take away penalties
They can call us what they like
But they can never take away “that” moment.

https://youtu.be/j9yxwlI-Y80