League 2 Playoffs : Torquay United vs Shrewsbury Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

League 2 Playoffs : Torquay United vs Shrewsbury Town

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Well, what a memorable last 9 months it has been. I don't think many of us expected our season to be extended by another two weeks, back in August, but its happened. We finished in 7th place in League 2, ahead of much more fancied sides; Bradford (as they are, every year), Port Vale (most peoples favourites for the title in August) and Rotherham. Gillingham were another much-fancied side, but they miss out on the playoffs thanks to goal difference. Over the year, I do think we have deserved it - we've been fantastic on several occasions, the two games against our playoff opposition come to mind here, and considering the size of our budget in comparison with others around us, even Paul Buckle's critics (I can say I'm not his biggest fan), have to say he has done a phenomenal job for the club over the 4 years. To reach 3 playoffs out of 4 is fantastic at any level. We have plenty of experience of the playoffs in the squad, players who have been there since Buckle took over know what it's all about. Whatever happens over the next two weeks, it's been a great ride, this year. Many highs, several lows, but name a season where there hasn't been highs and lows following Torquay United and I'll be shocked.

Moving on, I'd like to introduce our opposition, who we'll meet at Plainmoor, and then the reverse fixture at Greenhous Meadow on Friday 20th; Shrewsbury Town. They are a side who seem to have made much progression over the last few years. I remember Shrewsbury when they returned to League Football a few years back, and since they left Gay Meadow for pastures new at Greenhous Meadow (the stadium of many names; New Meadow, Prostar Stadium), they have flourished. They finished in the top 7 three times in the last 5 years, but they lost in the Playoff Final on both occasions. In 2007, they progressed after beating MK Dons, but lost out to Bristol Rovers, at Wembley. Two years later, they knocked Bury out to progress, but lost 1-0 to Gillingham at Wembley to condemn the Shrews to another year in League 2. I'm sure that Shrews fans' are desperately hoping it's a case of third time lucky for their club this time around.

GULLS NEWS.

Well, I don't think there are any injury concerns. We are allowed to play Jake Robinson after his parent club didn't feel the need to insert a clause that wouldn't allow him to play against themselves. Jake scored twice in the 5-0 romp in March, and I'm sure he is going to be fired up for it on Saturday.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

Torquay - WDDDDL

Shrewsbury - LWWDWW

The Shrews' come to Plainmoor in good form, compared to us. We have seemingly stumbled over the line, while our opponents took Wycombe to the wire for 3rd place. They have won 7 games out of their last 10, while we have won only 3. On the flip side, though, we have only lost 4 times in 22 games, and one defeat in 12, so it isn't too bad.

RECENT GAMES AT PLAINMOOR.

A new feature just for the playoffs (and any other two-legged affairs we may have in the near future). Safe to say, Shrewsbury don't enjoy their trips to Plainmoor, in recent times, anyway. You have to go back to May 1999 for their last victory at Plainmoor, winning 0-3. Since then though, we have had the lions share of victories in this fixture. There have been 8 games between the two sides at Plainmoor since that victory for the Shrews. We have won 6 of them, drawing the other 2. The most common result seems to be 2-1 to us, having happened 4 times in the last 6 meetings. Obviously, ideally for us, getting the same result we took in the League this year would be fantastic, although I imagine and expect it to be ten times tougher this time around!

PAST PLAYOFF APPEARANCES.

Another new feature, to give a bit of variety to the thread. This section looks at the past appearances made by ourselves and Shrewsbury, in the League 2 playoffs. An interesting stat is the fact that our Playoff Final against Colchester in 1998 is the lowest ever crowd for a League 2 Playoff Final, at just 19,000. Should we get there this time I'd expect it to be at least double that!

We first reached the League 2 playoffs in 1988, reaching the Final (2-legs at the time), but we missed out, to Swansea, after losing 5-4 on aggregate. 3 years later, we were there again, and again reached the Final. This time we edged out Blackpool on penalties to get promoted. Our next appearance came 3 years later again, in that controversial tie with Preston. I wasn't around to see them, but I get the general idea of what happened. Preston eventually lost 4-2 to Wycombe at Wembley. In 1998, we reached the Playoff Final once more, after hammering Scarborough 7-2 on aggregate. We lost to Colchester 1-0 in the Final, though. This will be our 5th appearance in the League 2 playoffs.

Onto the Shrews, then. It seems like the Shrews' are fairly new to this scene. They made their first appearance in 2007, progressing to the Final before losing 3-1 to Bristol Rovers, infront of over 60,000 spectators, the highest ever League 2 Playoff Final attendance. Two years later, they appeared again, but the same fate occured, this time losing to Gillingham, thanks to Simeon Jackson's 90th minute winner.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

Back to present time now, this is the Shrews side that recorded a comfortable 3-0 win over Oxford on Saturday:

Smith

Grandison
Cansdell-Sherriff
Sharps
Sadler

Taylor
Wroe
Davis
Wright

Bradshaw
Collins

Subs: Canavan, Neal, Harrold, Goldson, Disley, Ainsworth, McIntyre.

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

Mark Wright is a winger who can be extremely dangerous on his day. He has had a great season, scoring 14 goals from the wing. Impressive by any account, in my opinion. Nicky Wroe is someone who no doubt will be totally fired up for this game. I would expect him to receive a good reception from our supporters on Saturday. Tom Bradshaw is making headlines, aswell. The youngster has been thrown into the deep end on occasions, but has come out of it well. He seems to have a very good career ahead of him, if he keeps trying and working towards it.

REF WATCH.

S W MATHIESON
S J Barrow and A J Nunn
Fourth Official K P Stroud

Scott Mathieson is the referee for this game. He has been trusted with 34 games this year, giving out 86 yellow cards and just 2 reds. He hasn't refereed a Torquay match all year. Infact, his last Torquay game was the 3-1 victory at Darlington in March last year, if anybody can remember that far back!?!

PREDICTION.

Feeling mixed about this one. Hoping we take a lead to the Meadow.

Will pump for 2-1 Gulls, Robinson and Zebroski. Collins for them.

Come on youuuuu Yellows!!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Really dont know what to expect. Shrewsbury are on excellent form at the minite. Us on the other hand we dont look the same without Stanley and I feel we might be a bit out done in midfield with the in expeirianced midfield of Oastler and Lathrope.

Personally would like to see us line up like:

Bevan
Robertson Ellis Branston Nicholson

Zebroski Oastler Mansell O'Kane

Robinson Kee/Tomlin.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I got the tickets today for me and bruv. Whether the pre match drinky poos of Premiersh*te and FA Cup Final take their toll and result in a non appearance on the Popside, well, that's the future, and I'm certainly not going to let a £16 ticket go to waste.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

2-1 gulls. Robinson and Branston for us. Wright for them.

COYY
The gulls are going up
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

he'll play one up front and we'll draw 1-1
still keeping the faith
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

The left back for them that got sent off in the 5-0 win, Grandison, was crap in my opinion before his horror tackle, we definitely need zebs and Robinson attacking him again!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

This thread has been somewhat neglected with the speculation found on other threads.

We can take a huge step towards the play off final if we play as well as we did last time we played Shrewsbury at Plainmoor.

PAUL BUCKLES YELLOW ARMY!!!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Smithys
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Smithys »

We've got nothing to loose, nobody predcited this at the start of the year, so we should all just enjoy it!

Tufc 2-0 Stfc
Stfc 1-1 Tufc
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Given the selection issues we will find ourselves in, this is the side I would go for:

Bevan
Manse Robbo Branston Nico

Lathrope Oastler
O'Kane

Zebs Robinson
Kee

Its basically the side we played at Barnet, only with Lathrope for Stanley. Basically that Barnet game was one of our better performances for me. Sure, it was only against Barnet but they have since proved that the group of players were no mugs. That day at Underhill, we wern't massively impressive but you felt that was because we never felt the need to step out of second gear. Whenever the going got tough, we strung together some tidy passing and scored, and rarely looked in danger of conceding. We interchanged Kee, Zebs and Robinson up front to devestating effect.

With Stanley missing, we need creativity from the centre and only O'Kane can provide that. Having Lathrope and Oastler sitting in as anchor men will allow him to get forward and support the attack.

Tomlin seems to have become some sort of sacred cow in Bucks' eyes. He's had some promising games, but has drifted out of form of late. I'd rather we went with Kee, as although Billy seems to miss a few chances he's always got a goal in his locker. Lets be honest, most if not all of his goals have been classy finishes. In a tight play-off, conjuring a chance from nothing could be the difference.

Cannot wait to watch this on sky, and I'll be at the away leg no matter what the score is.
Smithys
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Smithys »

Personally

Beven
Robbo Ellis Branston Nico

Okane Mansell Oastler Zebs

Robbinson Kee
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

I've read that there's doubt to whether shrewsbury sell all their allocation on their forum, quite surprising really.
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

Apparently shrews have only sold 600 so far. Very dissapointing from them.
Loggerheads
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Loggerheads »

Many are saving their money with it being on sky and the second leg to come. I would think their will be 700 to 800 making the trip.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Puh! Was expecting Shrewsbury to sell out, but then again, we are one of their longer journeys, while we seem them as one of our local teams!!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Would be great to roll up to Shropshire with a 4-0 win our pockets knowing that most of the hard work is done. Actually, what I am saying? This is Torquay United, that's absolutely the worst thing that could happen. We'd concede after 5 minutes,be 3-0 down at half time, and in desperate need of underwear even before the second half kicks off.

Therefore, I confidently (not really) predict a 2-2 draw at plainmoor and then a very spawny 2-1 victory at their place. With Jake Robinson scoring the winning in injury time. From a penalty. After he blatantly dived.

Heh
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.