Playoff Final Vs Hartlepool at Ashton Gate

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Ludlow Gulled wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 21:32 Agreed. Colossus.
If not him, then Lewis. Superb game for him. Seemed to be everywhere.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Poolie87
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Poolie87 »

Hartlepool fan here.

Firstly. What a fantastic game and an incredible advert for non-league football.

Secondly. I think we got away with one today. At least one of your disallowed goals should of stood and the penalty looked dubious too.
But we have both been in the lower leagues long enough to have hard luck stories.

Thirdly. Apologies for any our fans behaviour. I am sure only a small minority. But you can’t say for certain that your fans wouldn’t have ran on the pitch or behaved in a similar manner. We have them at every club.

Lastly. Good luck with next season. I am sure if you keep hold of the manager and majority of your team, you will have no problems joining us. (If we stay up!!)
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Gary's thoughts...

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Not long got back from an absolutely pulsating final and a brilliant advert for National League football. A marked contrast to the insipid Euro match between England and Scotland.

I thought Hartlepool were the better team for only about 30 minutes of the 120 - from about 15 to HT - and fully deserved their goal during that period.

However, before that we matched them afterwards outplayed them. Couldn't see a problem with either disallowed goal but what a performance by Covalan and a fantastic header from the goal to send us into raptures just when it looked like we would be beaten in normal time.

As ET wore on and penalties looked more and more likely I felt Covalan would again perform heroics - it seemed the stars were aligned for him - and win us the match in the shoot-out. He didn't disappoint with two excellent stops to give us the chance to do so. Unfortunately Wright and Waters hadn't read the script leaving poor Matt Buse as the fall guy to lose us the game.

It was a sad way to concede the match, the trophy and promotion but someone had to lose and I thought Torquay fans took the result with dignity, especially given the way the refereeing decisions affected the outcome.

Which is more than I can say for a sizeable minority of Hartlepool fans who not only invaded the pitch but sought to insult and intimidate the Torquay support, throwing bottles as well as abuse into the crowd. I trust Bristol City, the police and the National League authorities take appropriate action against them.

But, in the end, I am saddened by the lack of respect shown by some Pools fans - yes, support your Club, celebrate your win but it is just crass to want to rub your opponents fans noses into the dirt - your Club should be ashamed of you....and that includes those Pools fans who feel the need to come on this website to continue their gloating - show some bloody humility for God's sake!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

I was there. Great support for the Gulls. Lots of gutsy performances from our team.
Very poor refereeing performance - he who will no-doubt be promoted to the Football League list but we remain on the NL. Something wrong there !
True score 3-1 to us.
We applaud the deceased Hartlepool fan on 43 minutes and at the end they race onto the pitch and abuse us … low-lifes.
Let’s storm the NL next season.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Gull in black wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 21:50 I was there. Great support for the Gulls. Lots of gutsy performances from our team.
Very poor refereeing performance - he who will no-doubt be promoted to the Football League list but we remain on the NL. Something wrong there !
True score 3-1 to us.
We applaud the deceased Hartlepool fan on 43 minutes and at the end they race onto the pitch and abuse us … low-lifes.
Let’s storm the NL next season.
well said
Jimvuy
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by Jimvuy »

As a fan for 47 years and lucky to get a ticket for today’s game with my son, I experienced the roller coaster of emotions that goes with being a TUFC supporter.
Credit to both teams for some exciting attacking football, keepers made some great saves with one from Lucas tipping over the bar I thought outstanding.
The game would certainly have had a different outcome if the ref hadn’t made too many decisions that were stinkers!
As well as the 2 disallowed goals I thought there was also a clear penalty. But sadly this level of refereeing seems all too common at this level. Surprised he only gave 2 yellows for the off the ball fighting incident, when we have seen straight reds for less this season.

The Lucas moment will be a another TUFC special memory for me to store away.
I enjoyed the day - great team effort and Yellow Army performance but not the outcome. Somehow I feel better we pushed it to penalties. Would be more gutted if we had lost in 90mins. I’m not going to dwell on the what ifs, why didn’t he…… At the end of the day it came down to a lottery!

Feel sad for the Gary, the staff and the Team who have dealt with and given so much this season.

As always the TUFC team and Yellow Army showed we know how to lose (and win) with dignity at the end, shame on the opposition supporters who don’t know what this means.

I’m sure our flock of blow-up seagulls will fly again next season
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

Poolie87 wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 21:42 Hartlepool fan here.

Firstly. What a fantastic game and an incredible advert for non-league football.

Secondly. I think we got away with one today. At least one of your disallowed goals should of stood and the penalty looked dubious too.
But we have both been in the lower leagues long enough to have hard luck stories.

Thirdly. Apologies for any our fans behaviour. I am sure only a small minority. But you can’t say for certain that your fans wouldn’t have ran on the pitch or behaved in a similar manner. We have them at every club.

Lastly. Good luck with next season. I am sure if you keep hold of the manager and majority of your team, you will have no problems joining us. (If we stay up!!)
It certainly wasn't a small minority but having been to your place before and been treated really well by fans and club employees/stewards, I was a bit surprised. Not sure why they would even think about behaving like that when you had just won the game.

Anyway, even though I thought the better team lost, your lads showed great heart as well and your back 3 were immense at times and got on the end of most of the balls into your box. It seemed to me that you ran out of legs first but that's where the heart and desire comes into and even if the penalties went the other way, you should be proud of your teams effort.

Not sure what level of funding you have but your home record should see you safe if you add a couple of quality players, especially up front.
Last edited by A Realist on 20 Jun 2021, 22:23, edited 2 times in total.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I’ll just leave this here, good old beeb
Attachments
B9C72AE0-EC86-4C2E-9B37-9C3719E72A22.jpeg
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Word for the wise - dont watch the replays of both Cameron headers unless you want to be annoyed again

Disgraceful decisions
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

In extra time Hartlepool seemed happy to go to penalties. All the injury stoppages helped them and broke up our momentum.

Overall in the game and the season we were the better team but the luck didn’t go with us today.

Felt so sorry for the players after their huge effort this season.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Think the referee should be investigated but no doubt nothing will be done by the Mickey mouse league.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

standupsitdown wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 22:55 In extra time Hartlepool seemed happy to go to penalties. All the injury stoppages helped them and broke up our momentum.

Overall in the game and the season we were the better team but the luck didn’t go with us today.

Felt so sorry for the players after their huge effort this season.
The injury to Andrews was not good timing for us at all

hes put a picture of it on instagram - very nasty!
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Wow what a fantastic game and performance! I do think it was pretty even and really could have gone either way. One bonus of the terrible referee decision (disallowing the goal) Covaland would more than likely not have etched is name in Torquay folklore! Would we have sent the keeper up if it was 1-1 in the 90th minute. Doubtful!!!
That header wow in 95th minute I am just going to keep replaying it. We will have to regroup hopefully next season will not be two games a week for most of the season. Get some good loan signings and away we go. Just have to keep the faith in GJ and remember where we were a few years ago before GJ came along!
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

In saying that this NL is so bloody tough. 4 go down top 7 in playoffs only two go up. Got to be the hardest of all divisions to get out of. Some really big teams in this div now!