Playoff Final Vs Hartlepool at Ashton Gate

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Haven’t heard Gary Johnson’s take on the game yet but I bet he is absolutely livid at the referee?
gull90
Trialist
Trialist

Post by gull90 »

The boys gave everything today and unfortunately that showed when we tried to stick it in the net from 12 yards. They were done, shattered. Covolan was excellent, and I am gutted for him as he has had his thunder well and truly stolen by a mediocre Hartlepool team. We put 3 past them and the in the build up to their token goal there was a foul on Leiws. They are very lucky and they should be a bit more gracious with their victory rather than sliding over to us to chuck insults and objects at us in the crowd. Very poor show from the scallywags. Fingers crossed they are heavily fined!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Torbay Weekly reports the Referee was from Yorkshire!!!

A North of England Referee for Hartlepool in North East England. We had no chance. I am absolutely livid.

I hope this Referee is banned for next season. Absolute bias no doubt. Outrageous.

If Pools fans think I am just a "sour grapes" moaner just watch the Replays in particular the second disallowed goal were Cameron outjumps the Keeper. Unbelievable decision.
Ludlow Gulled
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Ludlow Gulled »

I’m not sure that monkey of legend was actually hanged you know - definitely some of his progeny in front of us at the end.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Disappointed (for myself) not at the players manager or club. Thought they gave a great account of themselves - not just today but all season. With GJ staying all bodes well for next season and if we can keep the core of our players then even better - just a few good signings and we should be good to go for next seasons promotion push. All things come to those that wait.

Well done lads - you've done us proud this season.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Gutted is an understatement.

But I have never been so proud to be a Torquay fan. Our lads have it everything and we’re much the better side for the majority of the game.
The fans were amazing, not sure how it came across on the TV but we didn’t stop singing which must have given the team a little extra. Sadly not enough.

The Pool fans showed a real lack of class at the end not only with the pitch invasion but to goad our fans. We would not have acted on the same way.

I do worry we will find it hard to keep a number of these players as they are capable of much more I fear it’s the last we will see of a few of them. If we can keep a number of players we can do well again next season.

COYY
Ludlow Gulled
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Ludlow Gulled »

Took my lad today for his first experience of TUFC - what an introduction! I thought we were great - players and fans - and were the better side. We were both gutted at the end but as a gulls fan of 40-odd years, I guess you get used to bitter disappointment. But at least we turned up to this one (unlike Colchester and Stevenage) and I left feeling dejected but proud and hopeful...isn’t it the hope that kills you though...? Up the gulls!
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

MellowYellow wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 20:16 Disappointed (for myself) not at the players manager or club. Thought they gave a great account of themselves - not just today but all season. With GJ staying all bodes well for next season and if we can keep the core of our players then even better - just a few good signings and we should be good to go for next seasons promotion push. All things come to those that wait.

Well done lads - you've done us proud this season.
This
I couldn't watch today so had to chew my nails listening to the commentary. So flamin' disappointed but let's not lose sight of what GJ and his team have achieved during a batshit crazy season
Ludlow Gulled
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Ludlow Gulled »

BTW who got man of the match from BT sport?
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

All the above. Gutted but just one of those days and got to take it on the chin. So many 'if onlys'.

A word for Joe Lewis. What an incredible performance. A real underrated star of the team.

I also thought Armani stepped up today, worked incredibly hard in a deeper role.

I really hope as many as possible stick round for another year.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Couldn’t ask more for the team and bench we had left at the end of the season. Really missed Whitfield and Nmane as we lacked width for most of the match.
On another day / another Ref we would have won the game in normal time. However that’s ifs and but and Fairy dust!

We had nothing left to give after 120 minutes of football and could not have asked anymore of our keeper during the penalty shootout. The odds were stacked against us for long periods due to the Ref however we clawed ourselves back into the game only to let ourselves down with the penalty kicks.
Onwards and upwards!
COYY!

NB: We had some fantastic support today but I thought Hartlepool’s support during the match was outstanding, only to let themselves down by invading the pitch and goading us!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

The sentiments are great here and I was proud today proud of the fans, the club, and our players and especially our manager, especially our manager,, they were all fantastic.

What can we do? I have no idea but I hereby pledge to buy a season ticket for neck to season knowing full well I shan’t be able to attend all home games. But they deserve that much.

What else can we do ?

TTID
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

All of the above! Well done to our fantastic fans!
Proud of our Manager and our Players.
Thanks for an entertaining year especially today for the excitement was unreal! Well done Covolan for keeping our dreams alive for that extra half hour! We have to be the most unluckiest club going!!!!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Ludlow Gulled wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 20:34 BTW who got man of the match from BT sport?
Don't know - but for me it had to be Covolan - shot stoppers and goal bound saves during the match - equaliser at the 11th hour - penalty stopper - he had it all and did it all - what more could you ask of any player - magnificent display.-
Ludlow Gulled
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Ludlow Gulled »

Agreed. Colossus.