Playoff Final Vs Hartlepool at Ashton Gate

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'll concede that the first disallowed goal was probably right as Lewis pushed their man. Other than that I thought Lewis was the best player on the pitch.

However the second disallowed goal is just ludicrous. Their keeper was extremely poor yet ends up a hero (even though on another day Buse's penalty hits the underside of the bar and goes in)

Waters unfortunate slip was probably the moment we lost the game - he'd sent the keeper the wrong way as well.

Carping on about the two penalty misses is equally daft as well.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

Robbed
Gull18
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Gull18 »

Very unlucky - the match sums up being a Torquay supporter. With so much riding on 1 match (or even all Play-Off matches), surely it would be sensible to have VAR in place. The pitch conditions didn't exactly do anyone good either.

Looked like we couldn't settle into a rhythm after the 1st disallowed goal, but a much improved 2nd half and last minute heroics to give us hope.
Shame about Andrews as he would have been near the top of the list for a penalty.

Onwards and upwards - We have a good core group who will challenge again. I hope we get Benji back, hasn't scored but has looked like teams at this level find him difficult to handle and feel once he scores he will gain confidence. We might need to make difficult decisions on players who have ageing legs but i'm sure Gary and his team will have us right up there come next April!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

They played rugby on it yesterday. Great preparation for a play off final.
PrestonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PrestonGull »

Same for both teams.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Will we be able to hang on to our better players like Connor and whitfield who is forever injured it seems randall will go back to Plymouth,with a bit of luck maybe we can get sherrin back on loan next season
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Where was this ref from?

Outrageous decisions to disallow two perfectly good goals. When Cameron jumped with the keeper for the second one he simply out jumped him. Cameron was watching the ball and scored with a perfect header.

I do not like criticising the ref but all the BT Sport pundits agreed it was a terrible decision and cost us the game.

We must have VAR for Play Off Finals there is too much at stake when the referee is not fit for purpose.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Cameron was actually on a hatrick. Robbed by the ref.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The referee cost us the win, that’s it basically.

Yes, we missed three penalties, but it should never have got that far.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Went to the game so haven't seen any replays but it looked a good goal from Cameron in the flesh and the online comments seem to agree

How the game would have gone who knows but we didn't really get to grips with their play down the right. Moxey was beaten time and time again and a goal for them was inevitable.

I salute Covolan, what a performance

He heads that home like a seasoned striker and then to pull off 2 penalty saves you can't ask for more

Waters slipping (what are you wearing on your feet!!) And Wright hitting the bar swung the momentum back we had to capitalise on one of their misses

Gutted
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

DaveChallinor wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 19:13Cry

Probably the same sort of fan throwing bottles at ours

Big man on here
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

The problem is that, without sounding too dramatic, players careers are on the line here. We should have won that and players now will have to make decisions as to whether they stay at the club. If we got promoted, which should have been the case but for the ref. they would be looking forward to a challenge next season. G.J now has to sit down and, probably, try and persuade several players to stay which is a shame. I know I am crying into my beer but just feel we ‘woz robbed’ and that shouldn’t be the case.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Before extra time Hartlepool we’re out on their feet but Andrews reluctance to listen to the medical staff gave them the chance to regroup and reorganise and the momentum we had was gone.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Maybe but he was playing well and more bad luck to lose him. Both sets of players were out on their feet by the end.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Well I thought we were looking stronger than them both physically and mentally