Play Offs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I'm convinced that a not-insignificant of our fan base don't actually want the side to do well.

they seem to enjoy it more when we're struggling.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

yellowmonkey wrote: 25 May 2021, 14:24 Do you go to every movie, theatrical performance, stage show or band concert and walk away thinking that it was absolutely amazing every time? We have been woeful and if not for some superb keeping by Covolan lost quite a few more games.
Countless times we have been left ball watching whilst other teams get back and defend in numbers preventing us from scoring. Our injury situation hasnt helped but have you asked why the players are taking so long to return?
Did Sutton have the injury problem like us and if not why? Can we only recruit fragile or aged players?
The teams we are about to go up against are in form whilst we are still relying on luck.
We are playing non league football what do you expect???? This is why these young players are at Torquay and no playing in the premiership.

Oh and when was the last time we actually lost a game?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Of course I want us to do well.
But I just cant see it
NOTTS COUNTY VS STOCKPORT COUNTY final
STOCKPORT WIN
NOTTS to lose for the 2nd year running ( a la Cambridge '08 & '09 )
But I'd gladly be proved wrong, sorry to say we dont have the bottle to play under pressure, far to many crocks in the team & baring 1st choice 11 not enough strength in depth.
So sorry but that's the way I see it, not the way I want it
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Teigngull wrote: 25 May 2021, 15:02 Of course I want us to do well.
But I just cant see it
NOTTS COUNTY VS STOCKPORT COUNTY final
STOCKPORT WIN
NOTTS to lose for the 2nd year running ( a la Cambridge '08 & '09 )
But I'd gladly be proved wrong, sorry to say we dont have the bottle to play under pressure, far to many crocks in the team & baring 1st choice 11 not enough strength in depth.
So sorry but that's the way I see it, not the way I want it
Plenty of bottle on show at Stockport away - and guess what? Not the "1st choice 11".......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

No bottle at home to Bromley & no bottle at home to Barnet & guess what a home semi final !
Christ you need to take your rose tinted spectacles off SNW - look at the facts, we cannot put the opposition to bed at plainmoor ( yeovil at home excluded ), a fortress it isnt , not very good for a team trying to win promotion.
Like I said, I sincerely hope to be proved wrong, but after 43 years of supporting the gulls, i don't hold out much hope.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

We’ve had a good season, we should stop kicking ourselves in the nuts. One more National League game, then we are just two matches away from League 2.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Teigngull wrote: 25 May 2021, 15:19 No bottle at home to Bromley & no bottle at home to Barnet & guess what a home semi final !
Christ you need to take your rose tinted spectacles off SNW - look at the facts, we cannot put the opposition to bed at plainmoor ( yeovil at home excluded ), a fortress it isnt , not very good for a team trying to win promotion.
Like I said, I sincerely hope to be proved wrong, but after 43 years of supporting the gulls, i don't hold out much hope.
I don't wear spectacles.
Again, not the first choice 11 in either game. Which was something you've been banging on about.
Bromley have been playing well - not many have beaten them recently.
I hope you're wrong too.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I hope it is an advantage to us that as we are safely in second we don't have a competitive game for three weeks while all the other contenders have one next week and whoever we play on 12th June will have also been involved in a play off the week before.
Time to get players fit and prepared, plus less risk of new injuries or suspensions.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

standupsitdown wrote: 25 May 2021, 15:54 I hope it is an advantage to us that as we are safely in second we don't have a competitive game for three weeks while all the other contenders have one next week and whoever we play on 12th June will have also been involved in a play off the week before.
Time to get players fit and prepared, plus less risk of new injuries or suspensions.
Here here,
Cameron, Whitfield, Wright, back fit & raring to go & I might just have a change of heart in thinking we could actually do it.
Here's hoping
Coyy
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Beggars belief what some people post on here - Yellowmonkey " we have been woeful" - 12 games undefeated !! What do you want ?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Unbelievable, Jeff!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

We also had a 15 point lead and then once again the opportunity to take top spot. Long gone are the days of the National League being tinpot clubs. We are a proffesional footbal club with a manager who has and should be leading a league team.
We also don't have a team of green eared semi pro's so yes i do expect better. How long do you believe the owner is going to bankroll our push for promo back to the league?
There have now been two years of the same issues with injuries at key times and that isn't down to bad luck. The 12 games undeafeted means nought when its against bottom of the pile teams whom have been beaten by most teams around them.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Teigngull wrote: 25 May 2021, 15:19 No bottle at home to Bromley & no bottle at home to Barnet & guess what a home semi final !
i hope you wont be trying to get a ticket for the semi final then?

We need people in the ground to cheer on and help the team, not numpties like you there
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Absolute piffle on here. No let's go further total bollocks. How many of these so called supporters would have described second place with the words they have used on here. All would have defined this as a season of success in October. Have a look at the teams below us who couldn't better us and the resources they had and have. They are all far bigger sides in the football world over the past decade. I suggest there are people on here who shouldn't be locked down further -- they need locking up...
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Oddschecker has Torquay United & Stockport County as 9/4 Joint Favourites to win Promotion to the EFL.

Stockport have drifted from 7/4 Favourites I guess based on their failure to beat Woking last Saturday. We were 2/1 but again 9/4 suggests no big bets yet.