29 May 2021. Who will be Top of the National League?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
GUnit
Trialist
Trialist

Post by GUnit »

brucie wrote: 16 May 2021, 10:10 The thing that gets me is that both Sutton and Harrogate have whinged to buggery about having to change their pitches to grass.

Its like they think the rules don't apply to them. In all fairness to Sutton they've done better away from home than Harrrogate did last year, as the latter gained promotion on the back of their artificial surface.

Its not just the pitch either - their ground needs a hell of a lot of work to get it up to football league standard. Think all the turnstiles need to be replaced for starters. Promotion if they get it isn't going to come cheap.

Its all very well having an artificial surface but completely knackering it by using it 24/7 as Sutton have done doesn't make it fit for purpose for the standard of football it hosts.

Seems like they want the finances from the use of the pitch and are quite to play their national league matches on a sub standard surface. With the advantage removed if they go up they could well face a difficult season next year.
We haven’t whinged to buggery at all. We merely have the view it’s ridiculous that you can play CL and International games on 3G and not in the fourth tier of English football.

Our pitch is fine, I’m sure quite where your strong opinion on its quality is coming from, we’re not forcing people to play on some of the mud heaps you get at this level. Indeed Torquay themselves seemed to play quite fine on it just a few weeks ago.

Enjoy the game today, it may yet be irrelevant what happens in the event of a promotion. I’d make you favourites if you win today.
Last edited by GUnit on 16 May 2021, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well we may not have won but that game was a great advert for the National League.

Cracking game and a ref who let the game flow.

Amazing save by Lucas Covolan but it now looks very likely we will finish 2nd.However Sutton will be under a lot of pressure on 23rd if we have a good winner over Barnet on Sat with us fans roaring on the team. Sorry just remembered we are not aloud to make any noise!!!

Remember it is never over until it is over.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Unfortunately, the fat lady is clearing her throat! For us to overtake them it would take two big wins for us (and we haven't been particularly free-scoring of late) and for Sutton to lose big to Hartlepool at home. And not to mention it would also require Barnet to make a real match of it on the final day of the season with nothing at all for them to play for.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Modgull wrote: 16 May 2021, 16:50 Unfortunately, the fat lady is clearing her throat! For us to overtake them it would take two big wins for us (and we haven't been particularly free-scoring of late) and for Sutton to lose big to Hartlepool at home. And not to mention it would also require Barnet to make a real match of it on the final day of the season with nothing at all for them to play for.
If Sutton lose to Hartlepool (which is our only hope) we'd need to make up five goals (assuming they lose by one).
First priority is a win against Barnet to secure third place, but if we could beat them by four then it would go to the last day and we'd need to beat Altringham by one more than Sutton beat Barnet.
It doesn't look very hopeful and we are really dependant on Hartlepool.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The one thing in our favour is that Hartlepool can still get third, which would mean that they, along with us/Sutton would get a bye to the playoff second round and play at home.
So, we know they will be trying their hardest on Sunday.
That is pretty much the only positive I can find right now!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Is there any reason I can’t sell my ticket for Saturday on here or do I need to go back to the club. Obviously sell for face price.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Who would have thought with two games to play we would still be in with a chance. I for one will not criticise how we now finish, I have enjoyed the season.

Sutton could get beaten by Hartlepool and if we win both games it's goal difference. In summary a great season, but maybe edged out.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Just a dream but ....... Hartlepool beat or draw with Sutton, Torquay beat Barnet, Torquay beat Altringham, Barnet draw with Sutton. Job done!
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Mo Gull wrote: 17 May 2021, 07:52 Is there any reason I can’t sell my ticket for Saturday on here or do I need to go back to the club. Obviously sell for face price.
The Club have Covid protocols to follow, such as track and trace, if they have your details and I turn up with your ticket, that safeguard has been breached. Go back to the Club.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Modgull wrote: 16 May 2021, 16:50 Unfortunately, the fat lady is clearing her throat! For us to overtake them it would take two big wins for us (and we haven't been particularly free-scoring of late) and for Sutton to lose big to Hartlepool at home. And not to mention it would also require Barnet to make a real match of it on the final day of the season with nothing at all for them to play for.
Difference in GD is currently 6 in Sutton's favour. If we can beat Barnet by 3+ that will apply a bit of pressure to Sutton, who play Sunday lunchtime. If Hartlepool can then do us a favour and win there (I know, it's a pretty big if, but they - Hartlepool - will need 3 points to potentially pip Stockport to 3rd.) it would really set up the final day.

It's squarely in Sutton's hands, of course, and a draw against Hartlepool would actually be an ok result for them, because they'll then know that a win again Barnet is all they need. I don't know if Sutton know how to play for a draw, though. All we can do is win our final 2 games, hopefully scoring plenty along the way, and hope that Sutton slip up. If they don't, well..at least we're going into the playoffs in good nick.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
simjones1980
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by simjones1980 »

Barnet game called off tonight due to a waterlogged pitch! Not helped our cause as they will be fresher for the weekend now.

Also this means they have to fit another game in with 4 left to play. If this is next week then they are going to be conveniently “tired” for their final game with Sutton!

Interesting to when the national league pencil this one in....
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

simjones1980 wrote: 18 May 2021, 20:23 Barnet game called off tonight due to a waterlogged pitch! Not helped our cause as they will be fresher for the weekend now.

Also this means they have to fit another game in with 4 left to play. If this is next week then they are going to be conveniently “tired” for their final game with Sutton!

Interesting to when the national league pencil this one in....
How about tomorrow that would be good!
simjones1980
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by simjones1980 »

Hopefully Tomorrow or Thursday this week (can’t see the national league getting their arse in gear for that!) but if it’s next week you would think it’s Thursday meaning they would play 2 extra games in between us and Sutton. Now that would be a distinct unfair advantage..
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

simjones1980 wrote: 18 May 2021, 20:45 Hopefully Tomorrow or Thursday this week (can’t see the national league getting their arse in gear for that!) but if it’s next week you would think it’s Thursday meaning they would play 2 extra games in between us and Sutton. Now that would be a distinct unfair advantage..
Surely has to be this week.
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Northcott

Post by TerryTorq »

According to the Solihull Moors twitter the game is being played this evening at 6pm.