29 May 2021. Who will be Top of the National League?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

desperado wrote: 12 May 2021, 08:17 At least with only a one goal margin win last night, goal difference could still play a part although Sutton are ahead by 3 and scored 2 more goals. Just hope Maidenhead have a goalkeeper on Saturday after last night.
If we're looking at GD our home game against Barnet is our best chance to catch up on that front. Barnet have shipped a LOT of goals this season and we would need to hit the target early on to steady the nerves and then start racking up goals.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

Uptongull wrote: 12 May 2021, 08:13 Sutton haven't won at Maidenhead since 2013. And Sutton have only beaten Maidenhead once in their last 10 meetings, according to Flashscore. Maidenhead winning seven and two draws. I'm looking for any slight bit of hope....
Bit concerned about the Maidenhead keeper though - wasn't he subbed off injured yesterday and they only had an outfield player available to get well gloved up.

Can we loan them Shaun MacDonald for the weekend?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Can't see beyond Sutton at all myself.

They might have only beaten Woking 3-2 but they cruised through the game really as the opposition were hopeless, and their first two goals came from some abject defending by Gerring, especially the second as the giant buffoon stood ten yards off Wilson and virtually invited him to pass the ball into the corner of the net. Useless ****.

Unfortunately Sutton did not pick any injuries up again last night.

They even had the luxury of resting their leading scorer last night as he had a slight knock. He will be back for certain on Saturday. Maidenhead on their day are useful but it doesn't look to me as though they can trouble Sutton at all. Blissett is out for the season. Sam Barratt who has been doing well for them didn't play last night, and both their keepers are now injured.

They also didn't field a full subs bench last night, so yet again Sutton look likely to face a seriously understrength team - they certainly do seem to get more than their fair share of luck, that's for sure.

Hartlepool have gone off the boil - Bennetts gone back to Stockport, and Armstrong has a hamstring injury - that's probably accounted for 75% of the striking options. Sutton needed to be playing them a month ago, not in a weeks time.

Don't think we can beat Stockport at the weekend with the players we've got available., and I reckon we will probably get 2nd or 3rd place.

I wouldn't fancy us in the play offs either given that we potentially need to come through another five games with only two fit centre halves, and no back up at either full back position either.

Think we would be vulnerable to an improver in the play offs - maybe Notts County or Chesterfield who probably have more fit players than we have available, and then there is Stockport as well who can't really catch Sutton now either.

So think we are likely to come up short unfortunately.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

That's the spirit Brucie!
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

If we have to rely on the playoffs we will finish 2nd or 3rd. I might be wrong but doesn’t that mean just one home game against one of the winners from the playoffs between 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. Then the final, so 2 games?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 12 May 2021, 09:37 So think we are likely to come up short unfortunately.
We all may be thinking it - but sometimes things are best left unsaid :-/
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

DWB wrote: 12 May 2021, 10:11 If we have to rely on the playoffs we will finish 2nd or 3rd. I might be wrong but doesn’t that mean just one home game against one of the winners from the playoffs between 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. Then the final, so 2 games?
You are 100% correct, finish second or third and we have a bye into the semi final and a home tie. So we have to win two matches to get promoted.

I love the playoffs but not when we are in them. I would rather win the next two games and have a last match decider at Altrincham.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

This is my dream scenario.

We draw at Stockport and beat Barnet & Alty. Sutton lose at Maidenhead, draw with Hartlepool and beat Barnet.

Torquay 84 Sutton 82.

Stockport have a funny Home record. 8 wins 9 draws only 2 defeats. Torquay have the best away record in the League with 12 wins 3 draws and 4 defeats.

The 2 teams battling for 3rd place are Stockport and Hartlepool. This 3rd place is very important. Obviously the 2 key games are Stockport v Torquay and Sutton v Hartlepool on 22 May.

Sutton are now odds on with the bookies but I still think we can win Top Spot if we are at our best in all 3 games. COYY.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 12 May 2021, 09:37 Can't see beyond Sutton at all myself.
You must be a lot of fun at parties.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Perhaps he is always in the kitchen at parties...........
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Kingsgull83 »

portugull wrote: 12 May 2021, 12:53 This is my dream scenario.

We draw at Stockport and beat Barnet & Alty. Sutton lose at Maidenhead, draw with Hartlepool and beat Barnet.

Torquay 84 Sutton 82.

Stockport have a funny Home record. 8 wins 9 draws only 2 defeats. Torquay have the best away record in the League with 12 wins 3 draws and 4 defeats.

The 2 teams battling for 3rd place are Stockport and Hartlepool. This 3rd place is very important. Obviously the 2 key games are Stockport v Torquay and Sutton v Hartlepool on 22 May.

Sutton are now odds on with the bookies but I still think we can win Top Spot if we are at our best in all 3 games. COYY.
If it’s your dream scenario why wouldn’t we win both?? :clap:
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Yeah, my dream scenario is we win all is f our games and Sutton lose all there's.

And we win all games handsomely to boot!
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Sprell cherker doethent werk!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

DerekDawkinsJnr wrote: 12 May 2021, 08:41 Bit concerned about the Maidenhead keeper though - wasn't he subbed off injured yesterday and they only had an outfield player available to get well gloved up.

Can we loan them Shaun MacDonald for the weekend?
For those who are concerned Maidenhead have signed Reading keeper James Holden as a 28 day emergency cover.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm more worried about the spelling skills of toastkid :-D
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com