29 May 2021. Who will be Top of the National League?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

As you say Portugal will be very close. I would point out however that Sutton play Hartlepool at home on their plastic pitch?!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

If Stockport win all 4 though we will have a defeat instead of one of your two draws so
83 each - Stockport win on goal difference !
I'm going to bed now (won't sleep though)
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

It is to easy to rule teams out of the title race before the season has ended. Every defeat or draw is treated like it's the end of the world for supporters of the team involved and claimed as proof to other club supporters that this or that team are not capable of winning the title.

To realistically lay claim to winning the title, at this moment in time, Torquay must win 3 and draw 1 of their remaining matches. Torquay will know they cannot rest on their laurels but so will Sutton and Stockport as any slip ups in the final games could be the final nail in the coffin for each teams title chances.

Like everyone I would like us to win our 4 remaining matches but will happily take stumbling over the finishing line if it takes us back to the promised land
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

DWB wrote: 04 May 2021, 21:08 As you say Portugal will be very close. I would point out however that Sutton play Hartlepool at home on their plastic pitch?!
We beat them on their plastic pitch 😉
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

DWB you are right Sutton are at Home. My mistake.

I still feel that Sutton have a huge task playing 5 games in 15 days and also losing tonight to Notts County, who had 10 men for the last 25 mins, will not have been good for their confidence going forward.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

With last nights result going for us (thank you Mark Ellis!) and the run the team has put together notwithstanding injuries, playing schedule etc the whole squad must be buzzing and itching to get the job done, and with that mentality I can’t see them losing again this season (may draw at Stockport?).
It is reminiscent of the start of the season where it just seemed the team wasn’t going to lose!
BRING IT ON
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

So happy with the result last night. It really feels like the stars have aligned this season.

I'm sure we'll make it difficult for ourselves as we never do it the easy way, but we are playing so well right now.

The team have worked so hard to get it back to being in our hands, we just need four more cup finals and it's done.

Come on you yellows!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well 3 games left for the Gulls and it is still everything to play for.

On Tuesday Stockport are Home to the Daggers who have won 6 in a row scoring 18 and conceding 3. What a boost for United if Dagenham can at least get a point.

Sutton play Woking at Home on Tuesday and Maidenhead Away on Saturday. A powerful away win by Maidenhead at Hartlepool on Saturday playing with 10 men for the whole of the second half will make this a very stern test for Sutton and a massive boost for United if Sutton lose.

After we play Stockport on Sunday 16th the top 3 will all have played 40 games.Top Spot could well be decided on Goal Difference.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

We do NOT want goal difference deciding the League. We need to win it on points, so Sutton and Stockport have to drop points. Hopefully we can take care of the latter on Sunday. A little 1-0 will do very nicely.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

If Sutton win at Maidenhead Saturday we will simply have to win all three games and hope Hartlepool can take 2 points off them
They will fill their boots tomorrow night, apparently Woking centre back Diarra is not injured he's on holiday ! - gone back to France to visit his family and they don't expect he will return before the end of the season. You couldn't make it up. The National League should be getting involved here , they are deliberately fielding weakened teams, but off course they are so utterly clueless nothing will happen.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

I'd bet my house on Sutton tearing Woking a new one tomorrow night. What have Woking to lose? - yep, sweet FA.

I know it's late in the day now, but something should have been done about the teams near the bottom with nothing to play for, and no relegation whatever the outcome, where they would have been deducted points for next season if they finish in the bottom 3. Dover are likely to be spanked big time in that respect and, IMO, the two above them should suffer the same kind of punishment (pro rata)... after all, they'd be playing regional football next year if it wasn't for the kind-hearted souls on the NL Board.

We've seen it over the last few weeks or so where teams who have already booked their summer hols (in the Westcountry of course) are playing severely weakened teams because, hey, so what, what've we got to lose mentality.

Let's hope for all our sakes we can cross the finishing line and return to League football and never return to the NL scene.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Yes that's exactly what should have happened, a points deduction for starting next season if finishing in the bottom four.
You can just hear the inept NL Board saying "oh, we didn't think of that"
fatmaninthekitchen
Trialist
Trialist

Post by fatmaninthekitchen »

Gents, a Woking fan coming on here to try to enlighten you .
We love you guys, love your manager , a great bloke, and we have had the best ever rivalry over the last few years, but you need to stop alluding to our position being any other than honourable.
The update we had recently was as below from our manager...
''Not sure if Ashford's fit, Napa 50/50, Jarvis out, Collier out, Block 50/50, Casey out, Loza out, Jonte Smith out, Dempsey out, Cookie suspended, and now Skinner's injured."
Now Ashford is fit ( barely ) which helps, and Napa played at the weekend, but the fact is, we have buckets of injuries, we have a tiny squad a small budget in any case, and your mate Ben G has been playing with broken ribs and just can't go on any longer, so he is added to the list above now . Diarra has played every minute of every game, as we don't have any other centre backs. He is shot to pieces, has injuries, and it was decided that he just can't go on, he hasn't been sent on ' holiday' as you so bitterly put it, he has gone back to France to see his kids and wife whom he hasn't seen for over a year- have a heart, people.
Our capt and most irritating individual for any opposition, needs a shoulder op and hasn't played for months, Loza needs a hernia op. Gawd knows what injuries were picked up over the weekend. We have Kane Ferdinand ( a midfielder) playing centre back and he hasn't a clue there, and our only other centre back is Jack Cook - a top lad- but barely conference national standard. We are trying; our manager is not the sort not to; but we have untold problems.
I do sympathise with you, and this is only gonna depress you, but it would have to take a double sending off for Sutton to stop the flow TBH, we have got 1 point out of our 36 available and let in 4 goals in 5 of those 12 matches. It very depressing and our players are massively down and can't see how they can recover from this, we have youths playing at left back and midfield so we feel for them. We will try, but please don't slag us off and ask for points to be deducted, we didn't do a Dover, we just can't cope at present , good luck to you, hope you win it as we are no fans of Sutton, plastic pitch and all that
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Fair enough fatman - as long as you are fielding your strongest available team.
Can't say your post cheered me up much though. Think we are looking at double figures tonight.
fatmaninthekitchen
Trialist
Trialist

Post by fatmaninthekitchen »

we will try; no-one has downed tools, and we have been very unlucky indeed, I know everyone says that, but I think we have only had 2 penalties all year, (the 2nd was on Saturday), and that's not to do with us not getting into the box, we just get them turned down. The positive for you, is that Big Ben won't be playing , so our drop down to 10 men, and giving away a silly penalty, are much reduced - we love him though
Good luck, I do hope we can do something for you, especially as they threw water on their pitch to ensure it froze over so as their match against us was postponed earlier in the year as they had about 8 injured that night ... dirty dogs, they deserve some karma tonight