Torquay United v Eastleigh Sat 1 May KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Good to see Kyle Cameron and Ben Whitfield celebrating at the end too. Get them back and we have a really good chance of winning the league. I must admit I had my eyes behind my hands when I saw Kimpioka sprinting after the ball, good test for his hamstring!!, and a really useful time to get him back for Monday if Scott Boden can’t play.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Cant remember a better all round performance, outstanding - we outplayed Eastleigh - some of our football was way better than National League level. Could and should have been 5 or 6 . Just annoying we concede to make it a little nervy til we got the third. Thought Warren was excellent , hope he stays fit, and Andrews ability on the ball could be vital in the last 5 games. Again, though he played well I wish Connor would shoot earlier sometimes when he has the chance - just hit it !
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Great victory today - noted Tomlinson not on bench, another injury or just not a fit?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I thought Eastleigh did not close us down like the other sides have lately and we were allowed to play. Andrews is back to his best he's like a non-league Beckham his passes have been exceptional. He was involved in all the goals top man don't tell him though as he'll get another booking he should wear his face mask as this is the only thing that lets him down. Well done everyone.
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

While we've got plenty to thank Boden and Waters for - not least two crucial great goals the last two games - and they certainly put the effort in, no defence in this division would cope with Wright, Kimpioka and Whitfield together - with Randell and CLE's ammo and Hall getting on the end of things. Andrews too has scored a few crucial goals and delivered a few great crosses, but Whitfield goes past people, carries the ball alone when necessary and has two good feet and I think poses a constant left-wing threat, especially if he had not only Wright but Kimpioka alongside for defences to think about. I think if those three were together it would be 3 goals minimum almost every game. Certainly Woking would have been tonked and our goal difference equal to Sutton's. Andrews has though shown himself as the best to have a pop on target from just outside the area.

Dare I say it, while Nemane's pace frightened teams in midfield and defensively his pace was a great addition, if there's one injury we can maybe live with I'd say it's him now Randell is proving such a threat wide right, well supported by CLE and Wynter today. If Nemane was on, probably Randell woudn't be in those positions as he'd be more central (and Gary would have a huge headache who to drop). Cameron too was outstanding until his injury, but apart from the Borehamwood horror Lewis, Sherring and now Warren have stopped his loss being too serious.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

DWB wrote: 01 May 2021, 16:59 Great result and performance. That was for you Southampton Gull, enjoy!!
Sweet victory for me, watched the game with a couple of other ex players and they were raving about Andrews. One of his best games for us.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 01 May 2021, 23:04 Sweet victory for me, watched the game with a couple of other ex players and they were raving about Ansrews. One of his best games for us.
Bet your mates are quiet tonight Dave.... :} :rofl:
Have to say, that's the best that Jake has played for us in a long time.
That goal put the gloss on his performance.
1-11 plus the subs were excellent today - although I would say that our win at Sutton was our best performance so far.
Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 01 May 2021, 20:22 Great victory today - noted Tomlinson not on bench, another injury or just not a fit?
Was it down to the number of loan players we could play ??
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Terrific performance yesterday. Billy Waters seems to score 6 yard box goals but not yesterday great strike. Well done Billy.

Every single player was good yesterday a fine team performance buoyed by the last gasp winner on Tuesday v the Shots.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Dutchgull wrote: 02 May 2021, 00:47 Was it down to the number of loan players we could play ??
Don’t think it was on this occasion Dutch as we only had 4 named in the squad (Sherring;Randell;Boden and Kimpioka) and you can name up to 5. I guess Tomlinson missed out to make way for the return (from injuries) of Little and Kimpioka and (from suspension) of Umerah. If our injury situation remains the same tomorrow, I would imagine Tomlinson may well make the bench to cover for the absence of Boden who is ineligible to play. Hopefully Kimpioka is fit to start on Monday (in place of Boden) and the rest of the team is as started vs Eastleigh.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'd happily start with Umerah and Waters, to soften up their defenders and have Kimpioka coming on to finish them off.

In the little I've seen of Kimpioka he looks at his most dangerous when he has space to play in - he has looked more effective in the two games he has come off te bench than in the game he started against Woking.

I reckon that Koszela might be on the bench in preference to Tomlinson tomorrow.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

That no look flick pass to put someone through in the second half. Class.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

londongull63 wrote: 01 May 2021, 22:26 Dare I say it, while Nemane's pace frightened teams in midfield and defensively his pace was a great addition, if there's one injury we can maybe live with I'd say it's him now Randell is proving such a threat wide right, well supported by CLE and Wynter today. If Nemane was on, probably Randell woudn't be in those positions as he'd be more central (and Gary would have a huge headache who to drop).
I don't disagree with anything you've said here, but one caveat I'd add is that having Nemane in the side made Whitfield more dangerous. Teams were doubling up on Whitfield after Nemane's injury, and that wasn't something they were able to do with both of them in the side. There was also the option of them switching flanks if things were either not going that well, or if they just fancied messing with the opposition defence. i always looked at the pair of them as a double act, even though they were usually separated by the width of the field.

Randell has been outstanding this season, and I'd probably play both him and Hall in the centre of midfield if given the chance, with CLE just behind Wright up front. If anything, this hypothetical conundrum just goes to show how good our squad is, or would have been, had half of them not spent most of the season injured!

In the event that we do get promoted, I still think a midfield of Nemane, Whitfield, Hall and one other (Possibly Andrews) would be effective in League 2. We're not keeping Randell beyond this season, alas.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
madmike
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: connor lemonheigh ev

Post by madmike »

Nice one son