Torquay United v Aldershot Tues 27 April KO 7pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I can't remember a more emotional last five minutes of a game . I'd written off the win after 85 minutes thinking we can't possibly score another late one. Randell was just sensational, what a player. Got to go through it all again Saturday and Monday.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'll be glad when the seasons finished as its getting too exhausting to watch.

Lunatic officials, Late winners, injuries. Whats it going to be like by Monday when we've got no players left?
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

desperado wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 11:48 I can't remember a more emotional last five minutes of a game . I'd written off the win after 85 minutes thinking we can't possibly score another late one. Randell was just sensational, what a player. Got to go through it all again Saturday and Monday.
I've commented a few times during matches about Randell, he is really a top player, he'd be my pick for player of the season. He's tough in the tackle, anticipates the game well and combines that with skill and creativity. You'd say the thing that goes against him is his size, but he's also pretty physically strong and can't half leap to win way more in the air than he should
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Yes more late goals but we should have had at least two before they had scored. Because we gave them a goal for nothing and changed the game as they had something. Needed to put one of those early chances away in second half. Great goal to win it too.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

With the amount of injuries we have had this season I reckon we have already over achieved. Would be great to see some of the nailed on regulars back before the playoffs.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

kevgull wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 14:10 With the amount of injuries we have had this season I reckon we have already over achieved. Would be great to see some of the nailed on regulars back before the playoffs.

We won’t be in the playoffs we are going to be champions and the lads can have a few well deserved weeks off :scarf:
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 22:19 He had completely lost the plot at the end. Played 10 minutes extra despite adding on 4 and seemed to be running around waving his yellow card at everyone - pathetic.
Signalled 4 minutes, then spent all 240 seconds dealing the the penalty. Gave the penalty, then dealt with Aldershot players angrily crowding him. Spoke to the lino, reversed his decision, then dealt with the Torquay players angrily surrounding. It was always going to end up being 8+ minutes after that, especially when we did then score.

"the referee has signalled a minimum of 4 minutes additional time"

"Minimum", Brucie
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

When the referee made his decision that it was going to be a penalty he should have sent the keeper off as he was the last man who took Conner out. Once he had done this there would have been no turning back. I have never seen anything like this happen in football before, could you imagine if there was a crowd there would have been a riot.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Same referee who failed to spot two obvious infringements for the 2 late goals when we lost at Yeovil. He is absolutely hopeless.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

arcadia wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 14:42 When the referee made his decision that it was going to be a penalty he should have sent the keeper off as he was the last man who took Conner out. Once he had done this there would have been no turning back. I have never seen anything like this happen in football before, could you imagine if there was a crowd there would have been a riot.
You make a good point Arcadia - would the referee's have reversed their decisions (in the case of Umerah sending off and CLE penalty) if there had been a crowd there. I suspect not, as we have seen some obscure decisions made playing behind closed 'Ghost Game' doors.

In defence of refs - they make about 240 decision per match on average which is about 3 times more than a player touches the ball and make about 5 errors per game, meaning they are correct about 98% of the time ... which is incredible - even though us fans think they get most of the decisions wrong. But those errors by the refs in our last two games have been absolute howlers!

Noisy crowds do increase referee uncertainty and without the noise the referee is freed from the subconscious influence of their actions on the field of play. There is evidence that the mechanism for home advantage is fans affecting the referee, rather than the players.

The point being without the crowd present the foul ratio changes to the disadvantage of the home team, sometimes, as seen in our last two matches, in the most obtrusive manner.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

How I would love to see the referees Report on last night's match.

Arcadia you make a very good point. I wonder if this Referee will be be stood down for the rest of the season?

I have watched Pro Football for 65 years and I can never ever remember a Ref awarding a Penalty and then 2 or 3 minutes later changing his mind because of a Lino.

It is different with VAR I know.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

I have seen a referee award a penalty and then change his mind. It happened in the old Devon League at Alphington about 25 years ago. The ref gave a penalty but the home team complained that the ball had hit defender in the face, the ref ,(give him credit) went over and checked with the lino, on the way he saw the defender with a muddy ball print on his face. He correctly reversed his original decision and gave a corner.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Post by Brewers boy »

I Wasn't there, obviously, and didn't watch it on TV but I would suspect that you would have to be actually there to see what went on as the coverage on I follow is pretty limited.
The questions are
Did the lino flag immediately the ball went out of play and if he didn't then why not? If he did flag he should have been standing like a lemon at the side of the pitch holding his flag up. I believe that even at our level refs and linos are in contact with each other so why didn't the ref see him straight away?
Or did the lino see it go out of play but couldn't be bothered as it was nearly over? Or did the ball not go out of play but the lino doesn't like Torquay as he got a parking ticket last time he came? :)
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

This comment is based on my memory of last night.

The Ref waited a few seconds blew his whistle and pointed to the Penalty Spot. Boden collected the Ball and waited to take the Pen.

The Aldershot players were not happy with the decision and after what seemed like more than a minute the Ref decided to go and talk to the Linesman.

After 30 or 40 seconds the Ref clearly believed the Linesman which was very odd because the Ref was far closer to the foul and he changed his mind.

Gary said in interview that what the Linesman said was wrong because he had looked at the Video Tape and the Ref should have stuck to his decision.

In effect the Ref was misled by the Linesman.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I also believe Jake Andrews picked up his 5th yellow card, so will miss the next match. Adam Randell is close behind on four.