29 May 2021. Who will be Top of the National League?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Sutton 2.0 up now.
Could be crucial that Sutton still have to play Hartlepool so at least one will drop points.

Can’t wait to be back on the Pop Side on 22nd May.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Sutton 4.0 up now.
Worrying that they may have found form and the boost to goal difference could be worth another point.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

So looks like both Hartlepool and Sutton have made statements today and vastly improved their goal difference. The others have either lost or drawn. We need to win at Woking on Tuesday and preferably win well. As has been said looks like it is between us, Hartlepool and Sutton for top spot. Top 3 finish is a must for us.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well Sutton needed a win badly as prior to today they had only taken 7 points from a possible 18 in their last 6 games.
Amber SUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Amber SUFC »

portugull wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 18:19 Well Sutton needed a win badly as prior to today they had only taken 7 points from a possible 18 in their last 6 games.
It was too easy for us today. Alty were woeful.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Let's hope they are woeful on the last day of the season too.
Seems like a lot of teams aren't bothered as there is no relegation, Wealdstone and Woking for two . No doubt that twerp Dowson will have them wound up on Tuesday though as it's against us.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

desperado wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 19:50 Let's hope they are woeful on the last day of the season too.
Seems like a lot of teams aren't bothered as there is no relegation, Wealdstone and Woking for two . No doubt that twerp Dowson will have them wound up on Tuesday though as it's against us.
This is probably true and worrying.

We have 4 games left against teams with nothing to play for, Sutton have 6 and Hartlepool 3.
We have 5 games against teams fighting for the play offs or automatic promotion, Sutton and Hartlepool have 3 each, although in one of these they play each other.
If all three teams were to win all their games against sides with nothing to play for we would be 9 points behind Sutton and 1 behind Hartlepool.
We would have 2 more games than both of them against tougher opposition to make up these points, but may well need Hartlepool to win at Sutton for us to finish top.
Of course it gets more complicated as some clubs may either drop out of a chance of the play offs, or already be secure in the top seven so not play full strength.

Say each of us gets 2.5 points per game against clubs with nothing to play for a 2 points against clubs who do, but Sutton & Hartlepool have one point less each for playing each other.
That would mean the season ends:
Sutton 86
Torquay 83
Hartlepool 79.5

Having looked at the fixtures I think Sutton are favourites and we are second favourites.
After today's results I can't see any other team coming top.
I reckon we need to win at least 7 of our last 9 games to win the league.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

I worked it out before todays fixtures that we had to win six and draw two of our last nine matches. Both our main challengers significantly increased their goal difference today, something we have to match during the run in.

I agree it looks like;
1 Sutton
2 Torquay
3 Hartlepool

Must win at Woking.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

To answer your question the outcome unfortunately is a certainty. The top team is certain to be won by the team who has the most fixtures against teams who have no reason to be assed. Removing relegation effectively removes the whole purpose of playing for many of the teams. It's no longer a valid competition - because teams ( probably the majority ) literally no longer have anything to lose by actually losing. The results today are self evident of that.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Dazza I am not sure I agree with you.

Only 6 teams have nothing to play for in reality. I mean no chance of the play offs. Altrincham, Barnet, Kings Lynn, Wealdstone,Weymouth & Woking.

The top 10 have 50 or more points and 7 of those are most likely to make the Play Offs.

But and it is a big but there are 6 teams who might just sneak up to 7th spot with a good run of form and they will not be giving up yet.

Maidenhead are 16th but have only played 30 games and drew at Stockport yesterday. They will not give up. Yeovil are 15th and I bet you there Manager will not give up. No chance! Solihull have a new Manager, another one I hear you say, and they will not give up. Dagenham 13th and beat us recently will keep going. Aldershot are 12th and we play them on 27th April. Do not expect an easy game.Boreham Wood are 12th and hard to beat, they draw a lot of games. They have a Manager who will not give up.

So in summary I think only 6 teams may not be 100% motivated but remember players are looking to get a new contract and many do play with pride so in reality I think we are down to 3 or 4 who may give up or experiment with line ups. Even Barnet won yesterday so I am not at all convinced by the arguement that at this level players will give up or be uncompetitive.
monkeyhanger
New Signing
New Signing

Post by monkeyhanger »

The only team that had really given up in this league was Barnet, they have recently picked up. I just think the top teams at the minute are too good for other teams. As expected we won yesterday and I had very little doubt Sutton would. I fully expect yourselves to follow suit on Tuesday, if you don’t then I think you have serious problems beating Sutton to the league.

Personally as a pools fan I see Saturday as the week for us. We are home to Weymouth, I expect to see us win, Eastleigh play Sutton now I believe their is a real possibility Sutton could lose two points, if they win I think we have had it and can then concentrate on second or third, while you play Notts county I don’t think they have ever lost 4 in a row in the conference. Still a big week to come , Sutton are huge favourites no doubt about it, but if they do drop points this week it’s game on.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

All we can do is go out and try and win each game , if we win 7 out of 9 I think we will win the league. We could do with thrashing someone though for the goal difference, we haven't scored more than 2 in a game since Boxing Day.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Can't possibly make predictions based on those with nothing to play for. In every league in the world there are unexpected loses. Throw in the pressure of leading the way (shown by us and Sutton) and the results won't be as predictable as we think. Sutton are favourites, they have to be, but it's close. If we're playing the higher up teams while we're still chasing then I fancy us to play better than we would if we were leading - not saying we'll win, but I expect more games with the fight we showed against Sutton.

I think Harts will beat Sutton, but Sutton will destroy everyone else. We've got to be favourites with GJ in the play offs though.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

The big factor in the run in is who can keep the first 11 fit for the last 9 games.
One major injury would put the mockers on any automatic dreams.
All we can do is keep winning and keep believing this is our time!
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Only just realised that it was announced yesterday that the Hartlepool v Weymouth fixture scheduled for this Saturday has been rescheduled for the final day of the season (both teams were without a fixture due to the non participation of Macclesfield and Dover) which means that Hartlepool do not now play again until the 1st of May. By which time, we will have played our two games in hand.

As a result if we can beat Notts County at home on Saturday we will go above them and return to the top of the League, albeit it may well be for only a couple of hours as Sutton are on BT Sport later in the day, when they play play off chasing Eastleigh away.

If we can beat County and follow that up with a win at home to Aldershot then we will open up a 5 point gap on the Pool with 6 games left to play! Sutton meanwhile will be at home to much improved Barnet on Tuesday night.

So, it’s a massive week for the club and has the mouth watering potential of us reclaiming top spot !