Sutton United v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Sutton United v Torquay United

Post by DWB »

So is this the biggest game of the season? Win by 2 clear goals and we go above them, lose and we are 6 points behind having played a game more. Maybe too much ground to make up before the end of the season?
Even GJ was mentioning, a while back, that he was hoping to be in this position to go above them by the time this game came around, so it was obviously on his mind.
I just think we may have that momentum now that could carry us through what is going to be a difficult game, not least because it is on that plastic pitch of theirs. Just hope our ‘injuries’ hold up on this artificial surface!!
Going for a 2 nil to take us above them!!
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Yes 2-0 and we move above them, although they will have a game in hand. I would settle for 1-0 but believe we can do it .

I remember going away to Wolves in the Sherpa Van Trophy Semi Final Second Leg, three days after the Hillsborough disaster, and having to win 2-0 to reach Wembley, ( 2-1 down from first Leg). They were top of the division above us. unbeaten at home and not lost by two goals at home for over two years.

We went there with a game plan and triumphed against all odds to win by just the scoreline. we wanted 2-0, Wembley for the first time!

A performance and same scoreline would see us in a position to win the National League for the first time, any other result will mean the playoffs at best.

I remain positive, COYY.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think it will be extremely difficult to get anything on their abysmal playing surface.

I watched them play Wrexham on BT sport and their playing surface is a joke - this game just won't suit our style of play, as its basically impossible to complete a two yard pass.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

This has to be my first live match to watch in lockdown. How do I go about do this please?

Really think we have the momentum to at least not lose this game. GJ will have them prepared for the pitch too.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Mo Gull wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:17 This has to be my first live match to watch in lockdown. How do I go about do this please?

Really think we have the momentum to at least not lose this game. GJ will have them prepared for the pitch too.
https://www.suttonunited.net/product/su ... ream-pass/
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Great times to be supporting Torquay United. Mid April, lots to play for, maybe more than we could have hoped for at the start of the season. Embrace it all.

Keep believing, come on you YELLOWS 💛
Amber SUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Amber SUFC »

brucie wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 09:54 I think it will be extremely difficult to get anything on their abysmal playing surface.

I watched them play Wrexham on BT sport and their playing surface is a joke - this game just won't suit our style of play, as its basically impossible to complete a two yard pass.
I hope your team and management have the same mindset ;-)
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I am sure Gary Johnson will not allow our mindset to be anything but positive.

I think Sutton are 14 games unbeaten so definitely due a loss. The last defeat was 30 January 1-0 at Hartlepool.

That is a long time unbeaten. Massive game for both sides but I hate plastic pitches which is why they have never found favour in the game. You cannot beat grass.

I bet given the choice the Sutton players would vote for grass. I predict a 1 nil win for Torquay United in the 94th minute.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 09:54 I think it will be extremely difficult to get anything on their abysmal playing surface.

Nah, Brucie, respectfully disagree. I don't buy this line of reasoning at all. Modern 3G surfaces are really good, and improving all the time. A bit different, yes - the ball runs at a different pace, or it might bounce differently to what you're used to - but I don't see why it should be too difficult to adapt to. I was watching highlights of the 2003/2004 season the other day and our side were able to play excellent football despite all pitches at the time cutting up by November,

"impossible to complete a two yard pass" - maybe for Billy Waters, but for the rest of the team they should be fine, and I'd be hesitant about using the surface as an excuse for an unsatisfactory result. Sutton Utd at home haven't been some sort of unbeatable titan of the game; I think they've lost twice (+ Bromley in the cup but I've ignored that since Bromely also have an 'artificial' surface)

Oh, and speaking of Bromley - we've already won twice on their surface this season, so again, we should not look at the playing surface with trepidation. Look at Beautyman, or Oloafe instead.

I don't think it'll be that long before 3G surfaces are accepted in League 1 and League 2 anyway; the cost savings and potential other revenue streams are too much to ignore, especially as the finances in lower division football get squeezed ever tighter.
Last edited by happytorq on 13 Apr 2021, 15:10, edited 2 times in total.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Also - the matchday programmme is available for free from Sutton's website if you're into that sort of thing - https://www.suttonunited.net/product/su ... pril-2021/

A nice touch, I thought!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Amber SUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Amber SUFC »

happytorq wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 15:09 Also - the matchday programmme is available for free from Sutton's website if you're into that sort of thing - https://www.suttonunited.net/product/su ... pril-2021/

A nice touch, I thought!
We are a nice club :lol:
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Thank you Sutton for the program.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

happytorq - its well known that Suttons pitch is a low grade, cheap surface, and its in poor condition to boot. They have a home goal difference of + 19
which is by a country mile better than the next best which is Hartlepool with +13. Suttons away goal difference is + 6. They clearly get an advantage playing home games on this surface.
Opposition players are equally scathing about the surface - did you catch the Maidenhead commentary. The summarizer one of the Maidenhead players absolutely slaughtered their pitch.
Theres no chance of this sort of surface being allowed in the football league - firstly it isn't a Mickey Mouse league (unlike this one) that's why they will have to rip it up if they get promoted.
It isn't an excuse - after all we could win, but realistically its going to be harder for us.

Anyway some team news - Moxey in for Law and Kyle Cameron returns on the bench.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Someone please tell me it hasn’t started yet
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm getting nothing but a blank screen.
Dave