Goodbye GJ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Jeez, have we lost the ability to have a laugh? Seriously, look at what I said.

I never advocated the sacking of Gary. We’re in third place for goodness sake. It did get some people talking though, and united us all again.
I was laughing when I typed it out and then went back to “working from home” (watching Cheltenham).

I did think I was going to snag a few more but couldn’t wait any longer for fear that some of you may actually think I was being serious. I think lockdown has made some of us slightly madder and lose the ability to laugh.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

:bow: :bow: :bow:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

He's been a brilliant manager for us. That's not to say that we haven't been bloody awful since January, but we have RIDICULOUS number of injuries. I don't believe any manager could do any better under the circumstances. Now, I DO think that questions need to be asked - for reasons that have already been stated elsewhere - about the number of injuries we've been getting. It could just be coincidence/bad luck, but we do seem to have an inordinate number of injuries in comparison with other teams.
TUST member 203
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Great way to admin a site😂
Post something that could stir up unnecessary aggro for a fabulous manager and then call out those who see the remarks as nonsense as humourless fools who couldn’t see you were joking with your mates all along.
Thought we’d all left school.
I’m sure Gary would be delighted a conversation around his tenure was instigated on the forum as a joke.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Just doesn't seem to be in any way amusing to me either.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

If we lose to Kings Lynn?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

PlainmoorB0b wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 07:51 Great way to admin a site😂
Post something that could stir up unnecessary aggro for a fabulous manager and then call out those who see the remarks as nonsense as humourless fools who couldn’t see you were joking with your mates all along.
Thought we’d all left school.
I’m sure Gary would be delighted a conversation around his tenure was instigated on the forum as a joke.
He made a guess I'd imagine, that a few pompous individuals wouldn't read his post properly and he was right. He didn't joke around with anyone and nobody knew his intentions unless you read the post properly. Someone questioned it with me and as soon as I read it I knew it was just Scott's way of invoking a relevant discussion, one that is ramped up after every game on other social media outlets. Quite what that has to do with any Admin responsibilities is beyond me, he's got every right to post what he likes within the usual forum boundaries. He caught a pleb amongst them and hey presto let's make it about the Admin. ....

My own views, not those of the Admin team.....
Dave

PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Sorry if I seemed pompous - I don’t think I’m a pleb either but carry on throwing mud.

The original post was framed as a question - the premise was ridiculous.

The supporting information to justify asking the question was critical - our form is poor - that is fact - yes - but the tone did invite a lot of negativity about a manager people feel strongly about. Fortunately nobody took the bait and jumped on to form a ‘sack Gary’ mob - but they could have ...or is that really what you were hoping for? Hence the: ‘guys I’m just joking’ follow up.

I just don’t understand why you would want to ridicule people who responded to share a point of view you hold yourselves - I.e. that considering moving him on is absurd.

My point was, besides being an unnecessary attempt at stirring a reaction presumably to stimulate forum discussion ( no problem with that) posts of that kind do ultimately stoke the fire and undermine the position you seem to champion - keeping the faith in Gary.

I’m sorry if my loyalty to the club and manager makes me an idiot - I’ll remember not to bother posting again if I’m not part of the gang - but as you seem to presume to hold the moral high ground about the manager’s job, even over people who agree with your point of view - there seems little room for the debate you insist you wanted to provoke.

Just a weird thread to start.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

No it was a perfectly relevant thread to start actually. It highlights the total absurdity of questioning a manager of the skill and integrity of Gary Johnson.

Playing devil's advocate, as Scott was doing and has done several times previously, should provoke a reasoned response from people disagreeing with him. What he provoked were personal attacks on him and then you want to bring into the mix how it reflects poorly on the Admin of this forum.

I'd say Scott did a wonderful job of showing some of you for what you are. Plebs.
Dave

PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Well , if I’m a pleb I’ll just have to accept the mantle 😂😂

Can’t see where any personal attacks were though!

All I saw were bemused responses to what was framed as a proposition - it seems that you guys share that bemusement that anyone could think that.

I still think it was a weird way to provoke discussion- why not just challenge other social media channels where those views are gaining more traction rather than fanning those flames on your own platform.

You seem angry that people share your resolute faith in the manager.

Perhaps when people respond in exactly the way you are hoping they will in future (in support of your own viewpoint) it would be a good idea not to hold them up as wallies - it’s made me think twice about sharing my thoughts in future - I’m sure you’ll be glad to hear tgst as I’m a ‘pleb’ - but turning off people from a site they enjoy with forty years plus of support for something we all happen to share a love of is still weird in my book.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

You're making an awful lot of assumptions, all of them wrong.

Scott made this post without consulting any of us and I was unaware of it until someone mentioned he was getting some flak. Therefore how could I be expecting any kind of reaction let alone the way you allege and why would I be angry at people agreeing with my views? Come to that why would I get angry at anything I read on a forum? I'm not the one suggesting I won't post again either.

I find it hilarious that he drew the kind of response he did but not surprised in the least and I bet he isn't either. To then try and denounce it as Admin abuse just shows how ridiculous some people are. We're individuals who collectively spend large parts of our spare time supporting Louis in his running of this site and no different to anyone else when it comes to publishing our views on here. You've eloquently put your points across and I respect that, not many plebs do 😉

Don't mistake tongue in cheek humour for anger. The only thing that angers me these days are compliant brainwashed fools. Plenty of those about to release any anger on should I choose to do so.
Dave

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Or perhaps he wasn't joking but because everyone disagreed with him he then pretended it was a joke. Just saying.

Its about as hilarious as watching us get beat 4-1 Maidenhead.
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Fair play Southampton Gull

Just for the record, my sarcasm at the ‘great admin’ was directed at the fact that I felt reasonable posts disagreeing with the position on the original post by Scott (that he subsequently revealed to be a devil’s advocate ‘fishing exercise’) were being ridiculed not at the post itself.

I still don’t follow why, if you are firmly behind the manager, you would want to stir up a hornets’ nest, especially if you then mock people responding in fervent support of said manager.

Certainly not alleging ‘admin abuse’ and hope that I will post again with less third degree burns in future - if I haven’t soured my patch.

Hope Scott enjoyed Cheltenham through his tears of laughter.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

brucie wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 17:47 Or perhaps he wasn't joking but because everyone disagreed with him he then pretended it was a joke. Just saying.

Its about as hilarious as watching us get beat 4-1 Maidenhead.
I know you've got a thing for Scott because he keeps making you look like an idiot but that's between you two.

I've seen him do this many times and he really doesn't care what you think 😉
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

PlainmoorB0b wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 18:46 Fair play Southampton Gull

Just for the record, my sarcasm at the ‘great admin’ was directed at the fact that I felt reasonable posts disagreeing with the position on the original post by Scott (that he subsequently revealed to be a devil’s advocate ‘fishing exercise’) were being ridiculed not at the post itself.

I still don’t follow why, if you are firmly behind the manager, you would want to stir up a hornets’ nest, especially if you then mock people responding in fervent support of said manager.

Certainly not alleging ‘admin abuse’ and hope that I will post again with less third degree burns in future - if I haven’t soured my patch.

Hope Scott enjoyed Cheltenham through his tears of laughter.
Rather than stir up the hornets nest I'd imagine he was just trying to out the people who continually beat up on the manager as per other media. Most of us I'd like to think are sensible enough to see that our injury list has scuppered our great start and no matter how hard he's tried you just can't keep that run going shuffling the pack the way he's had to. I've got total faith in Gary Johnson, always have and will until he calls it quits.

I hope you stay around and pick up a few more burns, I've had plenty myself over the years but I still post in the same manner I always have, tongue in cheek but with a cattle prod if needs be. It does pay to have a thick skin but stick around long enough and you'll see it gets heated here occasionally but very rarely does it require anything other than the ability to debate your opinion. That's all I've ever done anyway.
Dave