Torquay United v FC Halifax Town Sat 20 Feb KO 17.20

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I recall last season when we were being bullied out of a goodly amount of games we were begging for experienced players, so this season we bring in said experience, Wright has done reasonably well but the other three, Moxey, Kerr and Warren have been disappointing, yes they can play well at this level but the cumulative effect of their injuries has resulted in hardly playing the same back line two games running, Our style of play of end to end, fast football whilst exciting is one dimensional, their is no plan B ,eventually, and boy has it shown since Christmas it has taken its toll, Halifax had a far better game plan and were quite happy not to leave their half for the majority of the game and soak up the pressure knowing that we had very little end product. there can no doubt that our squad in unbalanced, our midfield is chopped and changed on a managers whim to accommodate little who had been anything but convincing since his return. on performance alone a midfield of Hall, Randell and Evans is by far the most potent. Forwards the same, with one exception the remainder have done little to warrant a place on a regular basis.
Johnson made mention this week that we should have a nearly full squad back fit by the back end of the season, by that time on the performances of January and February we will be lucky to be mid table.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

I'm new to this site and, despite living in the depths of Cornwall, have always had a preference for Torquay United over Plymouth Argyle.

I don't profess to be an expert, but, in my opinion, the team needs at least one goalie capable of playing at a higher level, a pacy left back and two new strikers - one in the Danny Wright mould, but younger and not injury prone, and an old fashioned inside forward with pace and a proven goal scoring record.

In addition the club would do well to sign players who spend most of the season on the field rather than in the treatment room.

Let's hope the manager earns his salary and is able to motivate the team to much better future performances than the dross - I don't think that's being too unkind - that was on display yesterday.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Having brought myself to watch it again I can't quite work out what MacDonald does for the 2nd goal , unless there is a deflection why does he dive the wrong way and rely on his legs for a shot from the edge of the box ? I would definitely play Hamon on Tuesday, Gary has already stated what a big character he is around the place.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

we may have had some bad results since christmas but you have to remeber we lost our bst playmaker in little and danny wright too. his experience has been badly missed and unfortunatle Umerah is no where near a regular. nemanes pace also being lost in attack and in defence. Another imjury now with cameron . just look how crap the defence were last night without him. Matt buse is also injured now. that will be 13 injured .....
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

In all fairness Little is permanently injured.

Far from being our best playmaker he's been a complete waste of space since he's been here. Plays one game and disappears. Just as last season its the run of injuries which is derailing our season.

That said we seem to have a number of players who seem to keep getting injured without hardly ever appearing on the field.

Buse, Little, Moxey, Kerr, Warren. There are 5 for starters who are not worth a contract for next season. Whatever their level ability is they are just no use if they can't play more than one game in a row.

Yes we have had some cruel luck with the likes of Wright, Nemane and now Cameron, but the serial sicknotes are no use to us whatsoever.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Agree with Brucie regards Little. Cant believe it will be two years this summer since we signed him. I agree we should let him go in the summer when his deal is up. It's not even the same injury that seems to be keeping him out. I remember reading somewhere when he was at Woking one of their fans saying "Little always has a knock". So to me that seems he always has issues with injuries and is destined to be a crock, which must be a worrying time for him. Whenever he is on the pitch or sprinting I'm worried he's gonna pull up holding his leg. Not a good person to build the midfield around. Even since coming back from injury he's not been the same, which is to be expected. But if he is always 'coming back from injury' then we have a below-par Little each time he plays.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

It would appear that we've become very predictable, relying on Whitfield for crosses. So opponents work to cut balls from getting to him and then we are toothless. We need a right winger to give us back both options and then allow CLE to take his most effective position. It doesn't need to be Riyad Mahrez, just someone who knows the role and is effective.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

we have one of the fastest attacking right foot players in players in the league. nemane has been a massive part of our good run but he is out too........