Tony Collins R I P

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Tony Collins R I P

Post by portugull »

I am old enough to remember Tony Collins with great affection. He was part of a terrific forward line in the days of 2 3 5 formation.

Tony was the first black player to play for Torquay and Dave Thomas wrote a lovely piece on Tony in "Inside the Gulls" recently.

I have a great photo of Tony in a team photo from 1957/58 sat next to Don Mills.

The forward line was Ronnie Shaw Sammy Collins Harold Dobbie Don Mills & Tony Collins.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

I also remember Tony Collins and yes part of a wonderful forward line,no excessive frills like Larry Baxter but allways reliable and a great career after he left in coaching and scouting, thanks for the memories Tony.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Not only Torquay's first black player but also the first black manager in England at Rochdale from 1960 to 1967 where he led Rochdale to the 1962 League Cup Final.
One other claim to fame is he was the Manchester United scout who spotted Lee Sharpe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

A pioneer in football and he played for us.
RIP Tony.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468