National league meeting

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I think it may be good news:

'The award of a £10m grant to the 850 clubs in steps three to six of the non-league pyramid is the first to be announced by the government as part of a £300m Sports Winter Survival Package.' (Quote from the BBC). The quote says 'grant' rather than 'loan'. I feel a little more hopeful anyway.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Not there yet unfortunately the news above is for clubs in steps 3-6 we are in step 1

Does seem to be some movement though
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

budegull1954 wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 14:15 Is this good news?!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55826509
It should be...
If they are doing that for the below leagues, then it should mean that the same happens for the NL.
It will also stop the teams having a case for curtailing this season (teams at the bottom of the league) :whip:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Interesting developments today regarding the National League. I have just listened to an interview on BBC 5 live from Chester FC chairman Andrew Morris. Mr Morris says that the league have contacted all member clubs and stated that the North and South divisions will restart on 6th February.
Any hand outs will be in the form of loans only. The Chester chairman went on to say that the clubs in all 3 divisions are split roughly into 3 parts. A third want to end the season now, including a number in Torquay's league, a third are prepared to take a government loan and the final third wish to carry on the season. Apparently promotion to the football league is worth two million quid.
It will be interesting to see if any clubs refuse to play when the north /south season resumes on February 6th.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The worry with that statement is that how would you prove that you qualify for a grant not a loan - and how long would that process take?

The other worry is that the National League and NlS/NLS are taken as one entity. I'm not sure that this should be the case as the National League is a far more professional league than the other two, and have been treated differently since they are playing on when the other two have stopped.

We are now into February and it would be disastrous if the league was declared null and void. ( this isn't due to Torquay being top of the league) - The other point of course is that furlough payments to players would probably cost more than grants to keep the league going so how exactly does that work?

Finally would anyone trust these clandestine **** that are on the board of the national league ie such as the Yeovil and Barnet chairman. Does anyone seriously think these people want the league to continue? - Yeovil catch covid every other week and Barnet havn't been interested in playing all season.

As long as the government persist with the line about it being loans not grants it will give those with a vested interest the perfect "out" to finish the leagues now.

As you mention promotion to the football league is worth a lot of money so I guess with half the National League teams still in with a shout I doubt that you would get a majority vote to scrap the league now. However if you included the the lower two leagues that wouldn't be the case.

Furthermore its seems that the majority of clubs in the national league may have favoured the option put forward by the National League Board whereby a loan taken on by the board was distributed by the club. However as soon as clubs voted for this - the option was withdrawn sharpish. Of course no explanation was given.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 23:12 The worry with that statement is that how would you prove that you qualify for a grant not a loan - and how long would that process take?

The other worry is that the National League and NlS/NLS are taken as one entity. I'm not sure that this should be the case as the National League is a far more professional league than the other two, and have been treated differently since they are playing on when the other two have stopped.

We are now into February and it would be disastrous if the league was declared null and void. ( this isn't due to Torquay being top of the league) - The other point of course is that furlough payments to players would probably cost more than grants to keep the league going so how exactly does that work?

Finally would anyone trust these clandestine **** that are on the board of the national league ie such as the Yeovil and Barnet chairman. Does anyone seriously think these people want the league to continue? - Yeovil catch covid every other week and Barnet havn't been interested in playing all season.

As long as the government persist with the line about it being loans not grants it will give those with a vested interest the perfect "out" to finish the leagues now.

As you mention promotion to the football league is worth a lot of money so I guess with half the National League teams still in with a shout I doubt that you would get a majority vote to scrap the league now. However if you included the the lower two leagues that wouldn't be the case.

Furthermore its seems that the majority of clubs in the national league may have favoured the option put forward by the National League Board whereby a loan taken on by the board was distributed by the club. However as soon as clubs voted for this - the option was withdrawn sharpish. Of course no explanation was given.
That's correct Brucie.
Furlough £14m
Funding £11m
It's a fact that the teams in the lower reach of the NL are voting for it to end - no surprises there.....
But several of the teams in the top 10 want to carry on....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

When the decision was made to give grants for the first 3 months of the season everybody in the government and all its advisors expected it to be back to normal by Christmas. In which case the funding would not be needed. When it became evident that this was not going to be the case, the NL, FA, and government should have sorted something out then, and not waited until the final minute to come to an agreement.
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

brucie wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 23:37
On the subject of Yeovil I see they are self isolating again. They didn't play on Saturday and despite a full list of fixtures on Tuesday they don't appear to have a game the either. Call me a cynic but they are presumably saving money by not playing games, which will be rather convenient if the season ends in less than a fortnight.
Yeovil were back in action on Wednesday at Maidenhead where they lost 4-2. Terry Skiverton was in charge on the night as their Manager Darren Sarll has tested positive for Covid. Interestingly they have made a permanent signing of a player this week. I’m not sure they would they have done this if their Chairman was confident the season would be ending soon.

Not sure if this has already been covered (apologies if I have missed it) but it looks like the clubs are voting on Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55848918
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

So there are meetings today and Tuesday with the Sports Minister about the funding but the vote is on Monday and the clubs don't know what specifically they are voting for .......
What a shambles. Sack the board.
If 34 of the 67 vote abandon the season which is likely with the North and South leagues presumably this means we've had it. Tell me I'm wrong.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

desperado wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 11:00 If 34 of the 67 vote abandon the season which is likely with the North and South leagues presumably this means we've had it. Tell me I'm wrong.
When the clubs vote as a whole on NL matters there are normally 32 votes available.
The Premier Division clubs have 24 votes, and the North and South divisions have 4 votes each.
Presumably this year there will only be 23 votes for the Premier division. Given that the 8 votes cast by the North/South are for abandonment of the season then you would need 16 of the 23 Premier Division clubs to vote to carry on the season. In other words it will take just 8 clubs in the Premier division to get the season abandoned.
But don't forget that vote would only be a recommendation to the National League Board and the National League's decision will only be a recommendation to the Football Association who administer the National League System (which comprises steps 1 to 6). A lot will depend on how the FA view abandonment as a threat to the long term prospects of automatic promotion between the EFL and the NLP.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Thanks for explaining that, I see the Notts County CEO thinks we will carry on.
Headline " Notts County promotion dream in the balance" - hopefully it stays a dream for them
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Whenever the vote takes place, and this is not clear, the National Premier (Step 1) are voting separately from National North & South (Step 2).
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

nickbrod wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 13:18 Whenever the vote takes place, and this is not clear, the National Premier (Step 1) are voting separately from National North & South (Step 2).
Let's just hope there are 12 teams that think they can still get promoted. On another point I see that Scottish Premiership clubs have been offered 20 year interest free loans and the other divisions get grants. Like bloody Celtic/Rangers need an interest free loan.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Take the bottom three and perhaps the two above who will undoubtedly vote for an abandonment so the decision may not be as clear cut as we hope.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Woking in 16th are only 4 points off Halifax in 6th. Hopefully the 2million carrot of the EFL will encourage the top 16 to want to carry on.