Notts County v Torquay United K O 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

That was a hard fought draw, thought they should have had a player sent off first half , mind you so should we in Umerah, thought the formation looked lightweight especially up front first half but it seemed to work OK, decided that Waters has no shot in him farther than six yards, Nemane's touch let him down time and time again, Mcdonaldad one of his better games, I agree, Randell kept his temper in check and had a cracking game, overall its all for Sutton to do on Tuesday and I hope Hall was just being rested for Tuesday night.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

brucie wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 17:26 Callling Umeirah useless is completely ridiculous.
I fully agree. He's young and raw, and he needs to learn not to react to niggles from defenders who don't want him their faces. When he came on he immediately became a big target up front and he put himself about well even if he wasn't wise in his contact in one incident.

It would have been different if he had managed to score one of his chances.

If anybody wants to see what he can do just look at the video of his contribution at Weymouth. A few years ago it was the same for Jamie Reid who seemed to succeed despite the wishes of some. I see that he scored again today and is now part of Mansfield's resurgence.

I just don't get it.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Before I knew Asa Hall was not starting I predicted a 2=1 win for United. When I learnt Asa was not playing I switched to 1-1.

A very good away point between two well matched teams. Sutton on Tuesday is a massive game. Lets hope our fitness for 95 minutes makes the difference. COYY
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

How many times have I seen Umerah play?! The whole season so far and he is a lump with no end product.

Get the young lad on otherwise send him back.

We’ve seen us get loans in before and they have gone back before even getting a kick.

He isn’t a goal threat and he isn’t a natural finisher.

He barely holds it up and can’t head on target so get Street on if he isn’t good like Umerah then we go again but you have to atleast try
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I was surprised Waters was taken off - I thought we'd started the second half really well and the front 4 were starting to stretch Notts County and it was only a matter of time. I'm certainly not convinced by Umerah, he's clearly a handful, but doesn't use his power particularly effectively and too many balls bounce off him, when his real main role should be holding it up and laying off.

Thought Randall was excellent, Sheaf was a little anonymous but at the same time I don't think we missed Hall so maybe that's a bit unfair. Nemane is playing really well overall, but just needs to be a bit more clinical.

Finally McDonald had a really good game.

Can't complain with the point, I still think had Waters been left on we might have just made that breakthrough.
Steve_TUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve_TUFC »

The problem for Umerah is that he’s now playing in the top team in the league with players a league or two better than he’s currently playing. Against a team like Weymouth he’s probably at his ability level of play - bottom half of NL or NL South / NL North. He will no doubt get better with games as any player should - but not in this team when top of the league - last 10mins when 2-0 up may be. A draw today was an ok result but we could have just nicked all 3 points if he was sharper and on the same wavelength as Whitfield, Nemane and Evans - actually the entire team. All 3 chances weren’t easy but a better skilled striker would have at least got one on target if not scored. And the fact he could easily have been sent off for his foolish head in the face of their defender - that alone to me is enough to keep him away from the first team until we are 10points clear and equal on games with Stockport, Notts C and Sutton. Being hard but this is a very good team and we need 11 players on the pitch who will win us games and the league title - this is our real chance to get back in the league.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Is Umerah useless, no, that is a tad harsh, I agree he has a lot to learn but not sure how far he can go,this league seems to be as high as he can fly, his decision making is very slow compared with the rest of the team, we cannot even suggest he is tired though over playing him ,his one natural ability is his strength and the way he winds up defences. The young lad ,street, has been trained under a far superior regime,when I knew he was coming I watched a number of his videos, he is quick, big and thinks like a pro footballer, so yes I would like to see him having a chance.
Umerah is a squad player, we also know if he could or he was fit wright would play every game.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Steve_TUFC wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 19:00 The problem for Umerah is that he’s now playing in the top team in the league with players a league or two better than he’s currently playing. Against a team like Weymouth he’s probably at his ability level of play - bottom half of NL or NL South / NL North. He will no doubt get better with games as any player should - but not in this team when top of the league - last 10mins when 2-0 up may be. A draw today was an ok result but we could have just nicked all 3 points if he was sharper and on the same wavelength as Whitfield, Nemane and Evans - actually the entire team. All 3 chances weren’t easy but a better skilled striker would have at least got one on target if not scored. And the fact he could easily have been sent off for his foolish head in the face of their defender - that alone to me is enough to keep him away from the first team until we are 10points clear and equal on games with Stockport, Notts C and Sutton. Being hard but this is a very good team and we need 11 players on the pitch who will win us games and the league title - this is our real chance to get back in the league.
That's fair enough Steve.
If that' s Danny Wright, - sponsored by the Yorkshire Gulls :) that's 1 or 2 nil to us.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

With respect to Notts County, they looked like a decent side. A couple of their players can really move with the ball and looked sharp throughout. If they become a little more lethal in the final third I can see them pushing on up the table.

I share the frustration with Umerah, however I think it’s underpinned by seeing someone who has potential but is not yet executing on it. I felt the same way about Jamie Reid for a long time, but he turned it around with the right support in terms of management and having the right players alongside him in the box.

I feel that Umerah would benefit from playing alongside another striker rather than as the lone target man.

How long are Wright and Nelson out for? Hope Waters and Street also get a chance to shine.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Happy with the point, good performance just disappointed we didn't create our usual chances but credit Notts County in part for that. MacDonald was faultless. Defence was excellent and Randell outstanding again. Sheaf did ok on his debut but CLE , Whitfield and Nemane were well marked and not at their usual level. Thought Little was a bit lightweight when he came on, tries the clever little passes a bit too often. Gary backs Umerah so that's good enough for me but not a great contribution yesterday. Just think in our position we need more threat than he gives us right now. Still maybe he'll turn out to be another Rene Howe or Akinfenwa but at 23 next month he's not a young lad as some people are calling him .
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 17:26 Callling Umeirah useless is completely ridiculous.

"Useless" is a bit strong, but in Danny Wright's absence, he's not approached that level so far. When you bring in a highly-rated young player from a Premier League club, you'd expect him to be the guy you turn to in the second half of games.

As it was, Umerah should have scored, and if he had, we'd all be saying 'well done Josh, the competition from Street is clearly working!'
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Chorleygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by Chorleygull »

I thought it was a hard-earned point on Saturday and confirmed our credentials against a decent side, although I have to say I wasn't as impressed with Notts County as I had expected to be. It could certainly have gone either way. Randell was excellent. A pity he didn't get a shot away after one mazy dribble. I am a huge fan of Whitfield. He works tirelessly, gets loads of good crosses in and his finishing is good. He's always a threat. I like Nemane too. He gets all over the pitch, picks up balls in midfield and can go at defenders from width. His vision and passing are excellent at times. The ball he played through for Ben was exquisite and if Ben's first touch hadn't let him down for once I'd have had him nailed on to score. I am a bit in the Umerah court. He's clearly 'raw material' still, and, since Desperado mentioned him, reminds me a little of Akinfenwa when we picked him up. I thought Umerah's two big chances were actually quite tricky, the one hit quite firmly to him at the near post, then Connor's cross was slightly under his feet. In both cases he was under pressure from defenders. He might have got lucky when he lowered his head (only very slightly !) at the defender, who went down pole-axed. Reminded me of a certain Lee Hughes on the same ground a few years back ! Anyway, if the ref had spotted it he might have been looking at a red card. Not surprisingly Sheaf's debut was a little low-key but I think he'll be a useful addition. Really looking forward to tomorrow but it is surely going to be a tough one.