The Plainmoor Roar

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

The Plainmoor Roar

Post by wivelgull »

Whn I first started becoming interested (and, shortly afterwards hooked) by Torquay United in March 1963 I naturally began to follow the fortunes of the team in the 'Herald Express'. There were two themes that regularly cropped up: 'The Faithful Four Thousand' (self-explanatory and easy to understand at the time, i.e. c4000 was the normal attendance) and the more mysterious 'Plainmoor Roar'. This 'Plainmoor Roar' was supposedly the noise made by the crowd when United scored. The trouble was that I never actually heard this 'Plainmoor Roar'. Yes, there was a good deal of noise when a goal came along and when the team was involved in an exciting match, but never actually the 'roar' (or what I imagined the 'roar' to be). Not even the marvellous 'Spurs game' of 9 January 1965 could this mythical 'roar' be heard. And so for years I believed that the 'roar' was just that - a marvellous imaginary myth. That is until the unforgettable Scarborough game (the second leg of the play-off that year). As all United fans will know Rodney scored two princely goals to help us to Wembley. But, looking and listening to the video of the game (the Rodney Jack goals) just recently I realised that I had discovered at long last something that (as I said above) seemed only a myth. There it was in all its glory (and twice) the wonderful 'Plainmoor Roar'! So it was true after all!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Taking this a step further - should there be a Torquay anthem? Or different run-out music?
You can have your say and vote in Wednesday's Fans' Zone column in the Herald Express.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

As a young kid in the sixties and early seventies my Dad would take me to midweek games and I'm sure I have vague memories of Saturday night games although exactly what period that was I can't recall but I remember being late a few times due to the damned ferry and missing the odd goal but remembering that noise. I had nothing to compare it to at that time so my memory is of a deafening roar and ground shaking sensation that had me totally hooked. It all seemed so glamorous back then, Stubbs was like a celebrity to me. I never saw us play for around twenty years due to moving away, my own playing career, young family and running a business etc but I started going to games again and I realised that we were a small club but with a passion for our club that still gives me goosebumps to this day. When the Yellow Army sing it just feels like home. Not sure if that's a good enough description of the way it feels but I'm sure someone will contribute in a way that does.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Rossi Martin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rossi Martin »

I would like nelly here comes the boom or Right hear right now
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Before I started going regularly to Plainmoor, I used to live in Chatsworth Road. When the team had mid week games, you could distinctly hear the occasional noise emanating from the ground. My father would say, "Torquay have scored again ". Certainly not a myth.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Have heard from the family about the roar. The old popside roof use to give out a good atmosphere. Especially midweek matches. I may have missed some roars as was too young. However in my opinion that Scarborough home playoff was the best atmosphere I have been in at Plainmoor.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

My memory is terrible but am I wrong when I say we were without the full pop side for the Scarborough game? (Or maybe it was the PNE playoff match) as the old pop side was being demolished to make way for the new stand.
I seem to remember there being a few hundred standing on the ground after the old stand was demolished waiting for the new one to be rebuilt?