My Top 10 Torquay United Memories.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

My Top 10 Torquay United Memories.

Post by portugull »

As we enter 2021 I thought it would be interesting to ask contributors to the Forum to name their top memories following Torquay United. We all see things differently. These are my top picks from my memory bank.

29 January 1955 - Aged 11 standing in the Babbacombe end in a crowd of 21,908 to see Utd loose 1 - 0 to Huddersfield Town in an FA Cup 4th round tie.

19 October 1963 - An epic match when we beat Newport County 8 - 3 and Robin Stubbs scored 5 the only player to do so in our history.

9 January 1965 - The famous 3 - 3 draw with Spurs with 20,000 packed inside Plainmoor. What a game.

28 May 1989 - The first time Torquay Utd played at Wembley loosing 4 - 1 to Bolton Wanderers in the Sherpa Van Trophy Final.

31 May 1991 - Another visit to Wembley for the play off final with Blackpool which Utd won in a penalty shoot out 5 - 4. What a night.

17 May 2009 - Torquay 2 Cambridge Utd 0 play off final at Wembley. I remember watching the match live in a bar in Portugal. I was the only customer!

28 May 2011 - Venue Old Trafford. A huge day but a bitter one with Utd loosing 1 - 0 to Stevenage in a poor game.

13 September 2018 - Not a match but the day Gary Johnston`s appointment as Manager was revealed. His CV told me things could only get better and they did.

22 April 2019 - Utd 0 Hungerford Town 1. The result was academic. This day marked the only time I saw Utd crowned as Champions even if it was only the National League South.

26 December 2019 - This was a recent memory which will live long in my mind as I watched Yeovil Town hammer Utd 6 - 2. Stood in the Away end we got an absolute soaking as it rained throughout.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I agree with most of those Portugull
My first game was that Newport game. I went in when Gateman opened the gates with 25 minutes to go . It was 3-1 at the time ! You can safely say I was hooked for life from that moment.
I would add standing at the Babbacombe End in a crowd of 10,000 watching us win our final home game 2-0 v Notts County in May 66 and virtually clinch promotion. A rare goal from the magnificent John Benson a diving header too.
Also being at Southend 2004 to see us win promotion under Leroy.
Worst memories- losing 6-0 to Plymouth , Boxing Day 69 and the 4-1 Exeter play off defeat in 2008 when Kevin Hills goal should have sealed a Wembley trip
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Twern't I opening the exit gates as I actually didn't start till 1966 but I was there and recall that it was only 2 - 1 as we went into the second half.

What about Northampton in the FA cup with two hat- tricks in a 7 - 1 win (was it in 1959). Into 1960 and we won promotion for the first time against Gillingham for the last match (I think it was 2 - 0), and I can even remember where I stood for that one.

The tear jerker though was 2 - 2 against Crewe, I shan't forget the raw release of emotion in those last couple of minutes.

Desperado mentions Southend away and I remember the nervousness when ten men Cheltenham equalised against Huddersfield with our match finishing a couple of minutes after that game (I'd got a sunburnt face while we had taken Cheltenham apart a fortnight or so earlier).

Then there was Barnet away 3 - 2 on another last day.

I could go on but, if you look back some four years or so plymouthgull had run a series on our best memories.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Thank you guys.
gateman49 I had completely forgotten that plymouthgull had started a thread on this subject 4 years ago.What a coincidence desperado that your first game was the 8-3 game against Newport County. No wonder you were hooked for life!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

portugull wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 11:049 January 1965 - The famous 3 - 3 draw with Spurs with 20,000 packed inside Plainmoor. What a game.
Funny you should mention this game. I've just retweeted this image of this game...
https://x.com/TerraceImages/status/1347 ... 25251?s=19
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Well Louis that shows just how packed the crowd was on that famous day.
You can see the houses in Marnham Road clearly and the floodlight gantry looks full.
It was just the same at the Babbacombe End with quite a few people in the trees by the end of the Grandstand.
I was 21 and I was so wedged in behind the goal at the Babbacombe End I could not move an inch. I wonder what the Gate Receipts were? Anyone know?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Was that all Tottenham fans at the cowshed end ? Can't quite remember how many tickets they had ? Was it 2,000 ?
I was in the main stand with my cousin annoying some old bloke with my wooden rattle. My Dad and uncle were up trees. What a day that was.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

What is this madness? Crowds? What are they?!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Hope you don’t mind me using this thread to make a plea relating to one of my memories.

I have a vague recollection of a photo of Ray Bishop as he jumped into the Pop Side having scored our second against Sheffield Wednesday in the 1983 FA Cup tie. Did that happen or am I imagining it? Anyone got the photo?

And for what it’s worth..........some other memories. Very predictable I’m afraid.

Crewe in 1987
Dawkins winner v Spurs 1987
Caldwell’s Near miss overhead kick against Coventry FA Cup 1988
Wolves away, second leg Sherpa Van semi final - 1989
Wembley, Blackpool 1991
Southend, 2004.

Thanks
Last edited by Enzo on 10 Jan 2021, 19:55, edited 2 times in total.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I’ve gone for only good memories and these are perhaps the ten most memorable matches that I’ve been fortunate enough to attend –

2.2 with Crewe to avoid relegation and quite possibly the end of Torquay United. Bryn the police dog.

Winning at Brentford in the Sherpa Van quarter final, an unexpected result against one of top teams in the Third Division.

First trip to Wembley for Sherpa Van final. It didn’t seem to matter that we lost 4.1 to Bolton, just being there for the first time in Torquay’s history was enough.

Beating Blackpool on penalties in the play off final for promotion to the Third Division (or whatever it was called at that time).

Holding on to our 2.0 first leg lead against an aerial bombardment at Histon to get into the play off final.

Beating Cambridge in the play off final at Wembley to get back into the League. Tim Sills scoring in a mask.

Winning at Barnet in front of a huge following to stay in the league but with the wind favouring the home side in the second half not feeling a safe until the final whistle.

Winning at Southend for another promotion. Players waiting on the pitch for the Huddersfield result to come in confirming we were going up.

Coming back from 3.1 down to draw at Woking and virtually clinch promotion back to the National League. Ben Gerring!

Finally perhaps an unusual choice, 2.1 win at East Thurrock with Ruairi Keating scoring a late winner on a freezing night in Essex. Failure to win would have left Woking with promotion in their hands and potentially Torquay with another season of visiting these little grounds in the south of England. Would the better players have stayed?

Honourable mention for the Yellow Army Express train trip to Bath. Perhaps I should have included the FA Trophy Final and Play Off at Old Trafford but don’t really have good memories of either.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

I just got the book
Torquay United a history in 50 matches.
Most of those games are in there
A5F2FEC9-693D-4219-B72B-C26F0F6755D6.jpeg
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Thanks Forest gull. How do you buy it? I assume not from the Club Shop?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I remember the goal Enzo, and Ray Bishop running to the pop side railings, not sure about jumping into the crowd though. Remember crossing Warbro Road at 2.30
and seeing Steve Grapes cutting it fine and being dropped off for the game and running in. Sure Rioch had something to say about that
That pitch at Coventry was unbelievable.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

desperado your mention of a wooden rattle reminded me I had 2 given to me by my Father who was a Liverpudlian.
I cannot remember for the life of me what happened to them.
Enzo what struck me was the appalling quality of the pitch in the Coventry tape. I am going to forward it to a mate of mine in Chudleigh who is a staunch Coventry fan.
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

desperado wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 16:05 I remember the goal Enzo, and Ray Bishop running to the pop side railings, not sure about jumping into the crowd though. Remember crossing Warbro Road at 2.30
and seeing Steve Grapes cutting it fine and being dropped off for the game and running in. Sure Rioch had something to say about that
That pitch at Coventry was unbelievable.

Thanks - I must have imagined Bishop jumping into the crowd - I have no recollection of the actual goal he scored. Great game though.

Re the Coventry pitch - i recall that there was a pitch inspection whilst we were travelling up there. I might have imagined too though!

Cheers