Yeovil Town v Torquay United Saturday 2 January 2021 K O 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Harsh comments particularly the ridiculous rant from Madgull. Thought we were seeing it out quite comfortably and going to get a 1-0 for a change. Yeovil weren't a threat , keeper error though . Neither keeper is up to the level required in my opinion.They both make me nervous. We were never going to outplay every team with our attacking football, a game we should have ground out a 1-0 though for sure.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Disappointing.
Plan didn't quite work....
We are not going to win every game and tbh, we have been lucky in a few ourselves - Weymouth anyone??
We lost v D&R and came back well.
So we will do it again.
Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Chorleygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by Chorleygull »

I thought we got what we deserved. We were quite often second-best, gave the ball away too often and, when we did get possession were careless and turned into trouble. From set pieces, free kicks etc we played long balls in which were meat and drink to the Yeovil defence. We hardly won a ball in the air all afternoon. Still, can't complain about what we have done so far this season. If Weymouth wasn't a wake-up call then this certainly was ! Nemane was our best player today by a mile, for me.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Disappointing I have experience of the pitch we played on and I can assure you that it did our players no favors, I thought after taking the lead we should have won but two mistakes cost us but we've got to put it behind us and put things right in the next game.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Not a great performance, with exception of Nemane, Hall and Moxey. Whitfield and CLE were not provided with any/many opportunities. Thought Yeovil had obviously watched the video of the game at Plainmoor and played to keep us under pressure with and without the ball.

I cannot see what Johnson sees in Umerah - appreciate he was playing as a lone striker, but he struggles to retain the ball consistently and reminds me of Benyon (spends a lot of time on his a**!)

Still, as was said earlier we are not going to win every game and now have 10 days to regroup and go again. COYY
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Just checked the table, we are still top, 11 points clear of Hartlepool in 2nd place :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Gloomy Gull wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 18:21
I cannot see what Johnson sees in Umerah -

COYY
Well, I agree with your final sign off but not on Umerah. Have you seen his goal against Weymouth? He neatly laid the ball off to CLE then took a return pass from him facing the wrong way and completed things with a sweet shot into the corner.

He's a rough diamond and not the finished article but I can see what GJ sees in him - potential. Whether he fully realises it or not is up to him. I just hope that he doesn't read all the criticism of him in the fans' forums and, when the fans are back, they don't go for him as they did to Jamie Reid.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I know I said this weeks ago but we really need to strengthen the squad. not as a knee jerk to todays performance but even if the players come back from injury with our luck there is no guarantee they will last more than a few games. We are in a strong position at the top and there isn't many managers that would miss the opportunity to refresh the squad, who is anyone's guess, I would have another proven front man , certainly a keeper and possibly a left back.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

Squad when all fit is decent, I agree both keepers are suspect however they are going to be for the league we are in. Can’t be world beaters.

My only criticism with GJ is the forward issue. With Wright out we have no one Umerah is poor and that’s a compliment.

Seriously what does his brother do? Surely they can see what we can and as a precaution bring someone in on loan when we have such a hectic schedule. Even against Weymouth when he went off there was no attacking player on the bench.

Surely Olaf should have been recalled its utter madness IMO.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

desperado wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 17:38 Harsh comments particularly the ridiculous rant from Madgull. Thought we were seeing it out quite comfortably and going to get a 1-0 for a change. Yeovil weren't a threat , keeper error though . Neither keeper is up to the level required in my opinion.They both make me nervous. We were never going to outplay every team with our attacking football, a game we should have ground out a 1-0 though for sure.
Not ridiculous, I just believe in having a winning mentality, and that requires us to see performances like today for what they are. We have a massive target on our backs as league leaders, need to make sure days like this don't happen again. I'm sure GJ will be saying much the same as I said, cos that's what winners do.
Cockney Cockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Cockney Cockers »

Like to see Billy Waters given more of a go. I can see Connor sliding a few good balls between the lines for him. We haven’t seen that much of him. He is a poacher,no doubt, but seems to be very aware of space. Maybe using Josh as the impact sub. Felt the big man v the big man didn’t work for us today.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

some off the nonsense on here, the facebook group and twitter is unbelievable,

It seems some people thought we would never lose a game again!

GJ has summed it up well in his comments post match -

""Unfortunately we succumbed a couple of times which we will have a look at, and have a talk about. We won’t let it ruin our season that is for sure. We’ll review it and move on to the next one. We’ll be ready and waiting for Solihull."""
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Gary Johnson is a genius and a fantastic manager but the one thing I can't agree with him on is the way he rotates the goalkeepers. I don't think it helps the defence or the keepers . Covalan was playing well before his slight knock but should have come straight back in when fit. His confidence seemed to dip yesterday. I'm sure they will both improve but even in the National League their level is not great, and for a title challenging team I think the keeper needs to be reliable and experienced.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

While I agree we were poor yesterday, up until the 88 minute we were leading 1 - 0. Did the little use of bench players show Gary's lack of faith in them or were some injured (Andrews)?

Moving forward, I believe the loan / transfer market will be used and will show the club's intentions. Let's not forget we had five players (Wynter, Davis, Little, Nelson and Wright) all injured yesterday.

January was always going to be a tough month in my view. Ride it out and with points already in the bag, we may move into February nicely placed and ready to push on again.

In Gary, the managerial team and the boys I trust 💛
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

Another annoying criticism is the lack of injury update.

What’s wrights injury and how long out for? Also little what was the outcome.

Johnson’s brother better have players lined up ready as the current forward line won’t cut it against the better teams, we have had an easy Xmas fixture list to be fair we haven’t played in he top teams