National League Weymouth v Torquay United 28/12/20 3pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I'm very disappointed with the start to the season we have made. We have played 16 games and won only 12, drawn 2 and lost 2. We only have 38 points so far and are 11 points clear at the top of the league. I think that Gary Johnson should consider his position over the next few days.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Thank God for that - would have really been 2 points dropped. Covolan needs to play against Yeovil, even though Quigley won't be playing , Skendi and Duffus will cause us problems and MacDonald does everything so fast and at times so rashly he makes me nervous. He is not as consistent as Covolan. Yeovil away will be a much tougher game and we will need to be tighter.
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

Wow that turned out a much harder game than it looked for the first 30 minutes. Thought Weymouth were very spirited but we showed great strength to fight to the end. Poor day at the back. Imagine the pitch was very heavy after all the rain and we looked a bit leggy at times but another great 3 points.

I also thought the commentary was excellent and very unbiased. The commentator was also good at recognising which player had the ball. Lost the commentary briefly several times during the game but it didn’t spoil it. Was this the same for others or just me?

On to the return against Yeovil next. Might see if I can sneak a look over the wall!!
Tufcgirl
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Tufcgirl »

Well, we should have won that a lot easier. Some sloppy moments and poor keeping today nearly lost us the game. It was almost too easy at one point. Connor is at his best. Need to keep hold on to him for the rest of the season. Think a loanee forward may be needed. Umerah did OK and glad he bagged a goal. Think he will improve with every game he plays. Yeovil here we come :)
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

It is a results business, we won, three points.

Having said that we let them back into it (twice) when we could have finished them off. We will play better, but you can only get three points.

The transfer / loan market is calling in my view, but after Yeovil we only have one league game in 21 days, so a month loan now would be wasted. In Gary we trust.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

3pts and 4 different scorers!

thought their big man up top Sadie looked a handful, he only signed a couple of days ago on load from Bournemouth
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

" But considering that's the second game in forty eight hours and we play a very high tempo game then I will give them some leeway."

That's really generous of you Culmstockgull !!! Four goals scored with only one striker available and he was only for 80 minutes !!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

What a beautiful move for the winning goal. A lot of perfect intricate passes and then the killer pass from young Mr. Randell and the Lemon had a tap in.I cannot wait to see that over and over again.

Umerah scored but I am not a fan. I hope you prove me wrong Josh.

When you win like this it is a very good sign.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

In the Times article today, Gary Johnson was cited as a manager who would rather win 4-3 than 1-0....should have taken the hint...
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I agree , Josh will get better but I feel we need a bit more in our position , we must start turning the screw now and pushing on even further. He should have buried that chance at 2-1. If Shrewsbury are interested in CLE we should tell them where to go. The grass isn't always greener, Reidy for example, better to be playing for a winning team scoring for fun than a struggling League 1 team - we could both be in League 2 next season anyway.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Just a word on Kyle Cameron - this guy is destined for a much higher level, he has come on so much from last season. His heading in both areas, the way he brings the ball forward out of defence , he has great vision and can pass short and long ,he is not short of pace and of course he can defend.. He looks a class player this season . Reminds me a little of a young Jim Hagan - now that's going back a bit ! How many remember him ?!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

desperado wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 18:01 better to be playing for a winning team scoring for fun than a struggling League 1 team
I mean..yes, and no. At this level and at this point in CLE's career, it's probably all about his earning potential. If Shrewsbury can offer him significantly more by the way of salary, then of course he'll leave. It's a short career, after all. No idea what he's on with us but you'd have to assume it's way less than what even a struggling League 1 side can offer.

Might be more fun playing for us, but having fun doesn't pay a mortgage, or whatever. Alas. If it wasn't about the money we'd probably still have 90% of the players who have left :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

In defence of Shaun McDonald, that was an absolute peach of a cross that was dropping perfectly into the path of their forward. in hindsight McDonald would have better holding back, but it would still have been a free hit. Also the second was a bit of a ping pong with our defenders and I suspect McDonald was unsighted when finally their player reacted quickest to stab it back towards goal.

Would like to see both again though.
Chorleygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by Chorleygull »

Can someone please tell me when and where the Vanarama league tv highlights show is, if it exists ?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

desperado wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 19:24 Just a word on Kyle Cameron - this guy is destined for a much higher level, he has come on so much from last season. His heading in both areas, the way he brings the ball forward out of defence , he has great vision and can pass short and long ,he is not short of pace and of course he can defend.. He looks a class player this season . Reminds me a little of a young Jim Hagan - now that's going back a bit ! How many remember him ?!
I remember Jim Hagan and have always thought that if we had signed him then we would have got promotion with that Mike Green team.