Boxing Day Fixture v Yeovil Town FC

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He works hard for the team and is always making runs and positioning himself to take the ball, not sure why so many doubt him.

We're a National League side so we'll always have weaknesses, juggling the pack is the crucial thing for me now and fortunately we have a master of that in Gary Johnson. He's set us up nicely for whatever the season throws at us and points in the bag are vital.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Willowgull wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 17:54 A thoroughly convincing display. Worried about Wright and Littles injuries though. Yeovil were exceptionally poor and on that evidence they must be relegation candidates. Their goalkeepers display was as bad as I've seen for sometime. He was responsible for at least 3 of our goals.
I thought Moxey, Randall and Nemane were on their game today. Cameron wasn't at his best and his distribution needs improving.
Crowd was 1320 although it looked more than that.
You're correct, the crowd was bigger - it was 1323!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

What a game, what a win and vengeance for last year!

We certainly got the rub of the green in the chances we took and they missed - but you make your own luck

The obvious downside is the loss of Little and Wright who were both playing very well and had already scored

Having Sherring and Moxey back gave us a lot more organisation in the back line and Warren & Cameron were solid (bar one little mix up at the start of the 2nd half where Yeovil hit the post)

Nemane was MoM for me, although Randell played well in the middle too

Hopefully the Yeovil GK will be playing on the 2nd!

Will be good to have Hall back for Weymouth and fingers crossed the injuries arent too bad!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Fantastic result, really important to bounce back from the Dagenham result, hopefully find another consistent run from here.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

fortunately we have a master of that in Gary Johnson. He's set us up nicely for whatever the season throws at us and points in the bag are vital.
[/quote]

Gary Johnson is a great frontrunner the Champions DVD shows that. He knows how to keep the momentum going.
TUST number 080
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

So what was I worried about! We totally dominated them and played some great football without, it seamed, really having to try. Yeovil were poor and never recovered from conceding 2 early goals.
2 injuries, is the main concern, to two players who were causing Yeovil all sorts of problems. I just hope they are not too long term especially in the case of Armani Little who looked like he was enjoying himself in the short time he was on. Begs the question, unfortunately, is he too injury prone which would be a great shame.
Thought our midfield trio of CLE, Randell and Nemane were superb backed up as ever by the totally dependable Ben Whitfield.
Also a special mention to Dean Moxey (sponsors MOM) who showed his class all through
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Delighted with that performance and result. Just what we needed for last season and to get a good performance and bounce back from the Dagenham defeat.
I dont see how anybody can critize Nemane. His work rate is excellent and has plenty of ability. What he does seem to be improving on is his decision making.
The fans were great today and stood behind the goal in the away their Keeper Smith took a load of banter from the yellow army.
Let hope that the injuries today are not serious however you do worry for Armani, lets hope that its just a tweek and he can be back quickly, I really feel for this lad and what he must be going through.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

What a great afternoon ! Think that's the best Boxing Day result in the last 50 odd years or more. Yeovil were big and ugly again but without the quality of last season. Their first away defeat amazingly . We battled them well and battered them with our football. Thought CLE was absolutely fantastic today , great to have Moxey and Sherring back who were very solid . Glad Hall is back for Weymouth to replace Little
Umerah needs to take his chance now.
Guess Waters wasn't fit today.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Just back from what was an ever-so-enjoyable match tempered only by two serious-looking injuries for Little and Wright. GJ seems to think Little was more of a precaution but it must be worrying that virtually any competitive football finds his hamstring out. Otherwise this was more like the usual United performance - very high tempo and this time with clinical finishing similar to the Hartlepool game. I thought CLE, Little, Nemane, Whitfield and Randell were outstanding today, followed closely by Wright, Andrews and Moxey. No one had bad games although the defence was a little suspect under the high ball and the rematch next week could be a very different matter.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
GullinBlack

Post by GullinBlack »

Great result today. Those of us who were at Yeovil last year deserved this.
Some excellent performances today, CLE was impressive and my MOM.
Hope Armani and Danny will be back soon. Inconsistent ref was doing us no favours.
Bring on Weymouth.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Further thoughts on the game - at HT thought we might be under siege in the second half because of the gale-force wind blowing down the ground but Yeovil made the common mistake of playing too long for much of the time. As for us we had as many attempts in the second half (8) as the first, with 4 on target compared with 5 in the first half.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Really good performance, although it has to be said Yeovil were a shambles, especially for the 4th goal which was clown school stuff, although taking nothing away from Nemane who got what he deserved.

CLE was everywhere today, fantastic energy with lots of quality, Nemane worked really hard and was very effective today and Moxey was also high quality, he makes that extra time on the ball and he started the move that led to the Little freekick by just taking the time to create some space and get Whitfield in. Overall though, my man of the match was Randall, he's a terrific little player and played the Hall role today just as effectively as what he lacks in experience he makes up in energy and workrate.

Downsides are obviously the injuries to Little, which hopefully is nothing more than a tweak, and more seriously looking was Wright who I expect faces several weeks out. It will however be interesting to see how Umerah does leading the line - I think it unlikely he gets the goals like Wright does but his mobility could bring more chances for others.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Both keepers have done well this season but against teams like Yeovil who have some big forwards I think I would feel more comfortable with Covolan in goal to deal with those high balls/corners
Just on the crowd apparently there were only a few tickets left so you have to assume about 400 season ticket holders didn't turn up. Disappointing. Covid safety issue ? Rather watch at home on tv ? Not bothered if they can't be in their usual place and have a drink ? If it's a safety issue, well I know where I'd feel safer if it was between Plainmoor and Sainsburys. It's all carried out very well at Plainmoor.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Well, I'm a season ticket holder and would have been there today but live in Somerset so as a Tier 3 resident I wasn't allowed to go.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

desperado wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 21:45 Just on the crowd apparently there were only a few tickets left so you have to assume about 400 season ticket holders didn't turn up. Disappointing. Covid safety issue ? Rather watch at home on tv ? Not bothered if they can't be in their usual place and have a drink ? If it's a safety issue, well I know where I'd feel safer if it was between Plainmoor and Sainsburys. It's all carried out very well at Plainmoor.

Combination of all of those things I’d imagine - people not being allowed to go if they fall outside tier 2, some of our older fans shielding/not wanting to risk it due to Covid (noticeably fewer older fans in the ground today - my first game back - vs. pre-Covid times), people worried the match day experience won’t be the same, etc. So many different circumstances at play at the moment to influence people’s decision to attend so really wouldn’t read too much into these pandemic attendances too much - & impossible to use them as a gauge of current interest. If no Covid, I’m sure we’d have got 5K+ in today with away fans and on current form.

Great performance all round today, no one had a bad game and even players who haven’t been mentioned like Sherring (who I noticed is a really good leader and very vocal on the pitch, reminding others of responsibilities and encouraging teammates) and Warren had great games. Shame Little got injured as he was genuinely the best player on the pitch before he went off.