National League - King's Lynn Town v Torquay United - Sat 12 Dec 2020 - 3.00pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Eastdevongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Eastdevongull »

September 29th 2007
Torquay ( top) of Blue Square Premier
P 13 W 10 D 2 L 1 For 36 Ag 18 Points 32

December 12th 2020
Torquay ( Top)
P 13 W 10 D 2 L 1 For 27 Ag 10 Points 32
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Several things come to mind after that game, Kings lynn studied our game plan and played it right back at us which we did not like, other teams will now water their pitch to within an inch of its life or get a tractor to churn up the ground because we struggled to play our game on a mud heap and we did not seem to have a plan B. Not sure about Hall,s red card , match of the day quality it wasn't but it is not his normal game, however if ever anyone deserves a holiday it is his him , how we are going to scrape up a competent starting eleven on Tuesday is anyone,s guess, Sherring is unlikely to make Tuesday.s game but he was another example of playing someone out of necessity in a position they were not comfortable in , he was done left right and centre by his opposite number. On the positive side if there ever was a genuine hard fought point that was it. please can we have some of our injured players back.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Eastdevongull wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 17:48 September 29th 2007
Torquay ( top) of Blue Square Premier
P 13 W 10 D 2 L 1 For 36 Ag 18 Points 32

December 12th 2020
Torquay ( Top)
P 13 W 10 D 2 L 1 For 27 Ag 10 Points 32
That's weird ! Now we can start talking about destiny or coincidences
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

DWB wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 16:57 Our good run was always going to come to an end sometime.
Thought a better headline would be "Torquay take point on the worst pitch in the National League"

Any top team that plays on a pitch that has a resemblance to a ploughed field will affect the quality, skills and technique of the players. Maybe that is why Kings Lynn are charging astronomical prices for match viewing so as to try and divert a little more funding towards laying a proper playing surface.

There will be fans who will advocate that good players should adapt and adjust to anything, that’s what we expect of them. To this I say, I am not feeling sorry for Torquay because we can go home with a point whilst the poor buggers at Kings Lynn have to play on that pitch every other week.

So my headline is simply "Torquay continue their unbeaten run".
Tans53
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Tans53 »

Dave_Pougher wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 17:43 One bright point
Shaun McDonald! Where’s his form come from?
Playing out of his skin!
My MOM two, one handed saves earnt us the point
Fair play to him !
Totally agree.
I stood behind his goal in the second half -he held on to some difficult shots/crosses and was off his line to make one terrific block. He earned us the point - well done Sean!
Tans53
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Tans53 »

Shaun!
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

That was dreadful to watch . Our passing was horrendous and gave them the ball without challenges. A point gained at the end of the day and they were always going to raise their performances today. Not many come out with credit but Macdonald was superb in goal. Had to make some saves but his general handling in those conditions and heavy pitch were top class. As for the sending off didn't seem a reckless tackle but if it wasn't then hope it can be turned over.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

GJ thoughts - https://torquayunited.com/gaffer-disapp ... ings-lynn/

I'd be surprised if we didnt appeal the red card!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Absolutely should we be appealing that red card, shocking decision by the referee, no inten, no malice, just a genuine attempt to win the ball.
Just another thought, we were bound to be off the pace at some stage & rule no'1is dont lose, mission accomplished. Point gained.
Onwards & upward to tues.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

The short, quick passing was breaking down on the heavy, inconsistent pitch. We tried to produce a plan B by hitting long but over did it. I think blending a simplified short game alongside the long ball would have had better impact. KL upped their game and their runners caused us problems
TUST number 080
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

The pitch certainly didn't help but there were far too many loose passes as well and trying to go route one really didn't work at all.

I think a lot of credit should go to Kings Lynn - I was expected us to come out after half time and really turn the screw, but it was them that came out with a better intensity level and they more than matched us in the second half even before the sending off. The two wingers were threatening, especially Power on the right who every time he got it was direct and dangerous and no one had a handle on him.

The Hall sending off, looked rather like he lunged for the ball, but its been interpreted as a stamp, I think there is a good chance it gets overruled.

MacDonald did pull off some great saves, but still his decision making is suspect and he has some rushes of blood and comes for balls that he doesn't need to - he was lucky with one where he was in no mans land but it was narrowly offside.

Whitfield and Evans both quieter, possibly due to fatigue, although for Whitfield especially I don't think the pitch helped. I still can't make my mind up about Nemane - he works really hard defensively, but I'd really like to have seen him be more direct yesterday, exactly like Power was as even if his end product is generally work in progress, he draws defenders and creates gaps and space for others.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree with Exiles summary. After a Gary half time talk I was expecting us to up our game and at least put them under pressure
but it didn't happen. Haven't seen the Hall incident again but how often is something like that decision overturned ?
Funny isn't it Kings Lynn had conceded the most goals in the League before the game - 30 and we had scored the most - 27 yet we couldn't trouble them at all.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Missed the live stream and radio commentary yesterday but did watch the brief highlights on BT Sport. As said in the thread, a clean sheet, a point gained and on to Dagenham at home on Tuesday.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I have just found a YouTube blog on yesterdays match at KL which is not too long but it shows something of the Asa Hall red card.

The footage also shows what a bog of a pitch it was. I suspect we were lucky to come away with a point.

This is the link below

Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Welcome to being six points clear at the top of the table. Would we have taken that at the start of the season - yes. Would we take that at the end of the season - yes.

There are always going to be poorer days between now and the end of the season. To me it is how we react and respond on Tuesday. Win on Tuesday and things will look great. Further, it gives a number of players caring injuries ten days off, before we go again in the league. As for the sending off, it is what it is and how the referee has seen it, like it or not. There is nothing to appeal against.

The return of injured players is badly needed. I expect the club to dip into the transfer / loan market over this period, unless a number are making a quick return. In Gary and the managerial team I trust, they will make the big calls. Keep believing.